Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,
    I have just recieved an offer from sheffield HAllam for PGD nursing and must complete an APEL. I anreally unsure what the format should be? I have a range of experiences for example I have volunteered at a hospital and have gained a reference from it. IS this enough evidence? ANd do i write a paragraph about what i learn/saw/did and then merely use the reference as evidence?

I'm just unsure how to start it and once i know the formatting i think I'll be alright completing but just a little confused!!
    thankyou!!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I received that letter too and am also slightly confused. I contacted the
    programme leader for guidance, in particular the layout of the portfolio. Good luck with yours! I’ll get back to you when I get my reply.
    Victoria.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I have also recieved an offer to do the PGDIP and am rather confused about the whole APEL bit especially some of the programme aims and what they are asking from us. I have also emailed the programme leader, I haven't recieved a reply yet but I will let you know what he emails back.

All the best, Melissa

ReputationRep:
    Hi melissa,
    Me and vicky are trying to work it out. So if anyone has any further thoughts on it or gets any replies from the email we'll post on here?

Good to hear from you!
    from
    Esther

ReputationRep:
    Hey

I also haven't recieved any reply from the person we were supposed to contact if encountered any difficulty. I may try and give him a ring tomorrow and see if there is any reply.

The way I thought we were supposed to format the whole thing is write the evidence in the box e.g. see module 'dissertation 40 credits' on academic transcript and have some things in the appendix such as your academic transcript, job references and things as evidence. Some of the objectives though I am not entirely sure what they are asking.

Melissa

ReputationRep:
    Hi Melissa,

My tutor got back to me. He basically said that the evidence we provide needs to be mapped against 30 of the 47 competencies. Simply pick any 30 that you feel you can gather together the best evidence to map against. So Mellissa your example would be fine.
    The 2,000 word summary or personal situational analysis as its more formally called is really a personal reflective summary, not an academic piece of work.

The best thing to do is attend one of the taster days (23/05/13, 30/05/13, 05/06/13) and arrange to meet your Tutor to show what you have so far and for them to point you in the right direction. If you live local to Sheffield Hallam, pop in.

Vicky

ReputationRep:
    Hey Vicky

I understand that bit but in the box where we have to put what evidence supports the learning objective do we have to explain how it supports it as well. Also does the personal situational analysis not count as a piece of evidence?

Also when did you find out about the taster days was it in the letter we recieved with the APL things?

Thanks for all your help,

Melissa

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,

im in the same boat! At first glance it does look a bit daunting! :/ lol but im sure we can do it. I think once i get the format sorted it'll be easier to do. If we use certificates, transcripts etc as evidence do they have to be the originals or can they be copies? Think i will definitely attend one of the taster days!

thanks
    katie

ReputationRep:
    Hi Katie

I think they just want photocopies of your certificates and transcripts.

Melissa

P.s. how is everyone getting on with the essay?

ReputationRep:
    I also found out that my course start date is in March! I tried applying for accomodation but there was an error so rang up the University and they told me that I start in March. Does anyone else start in March?

ReputationRep:
    Hi there!

thankyou for your help!

how do we know if we start in march then?! I thought it was September lol has anyone applied for their nhs bursary yet?

Need to get started on my portfolio or i'll never get it finished! Lol

x

ReputationRep:
    I looked at the offer letter again and it said the start year was 2014/2015.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for the late reply. I start in September my letter says 2013/2015. Haven't started work for the portfolio yet, should probably get a move on. How is everyone finding it? I got a letter about the dates for the taster days on April 18th. Is anyone going to the one on the 23rd May?
    Also I called NHS Bursarys, they said we can apply now if we want but we dont officialy need to until we've responded to our offers. Our chosen Uni will then provide NHS with relevant details and we will receive an email letting us know when to apply by.
    Vicky

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I just got my APEL info letter through last Friday. I am still waiting to hear back from my tutor. Does anyone know if a piece of evidence can be used for more than one of the points? Anyone had anymore info back from their tutor?

ReputationRep:
    I've not had my Apel stuff long either! Still waiting to hear back aswell...trying to get hold of someone is near impossible! Lol

im not 100% sure but from what the other girls have said on here, it can be used to evidence more than one point. It'd be pretty difficult to find 30 separate pieces of evidence :/

are you starting this year or next?

katie x

ReputationRep:
    Hi Katie! I am starting in September Are you? Looking forward to it! Once this piece of work is out of the way anyhow!
    x

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys! Congratulations on your offers! Is anybody doing PGip Mental Health Nursing? I've got to do the APEL thing too - little bit scary! I'm struggling with the format too - I haven't even started the writing yet so I need to get a crack on! Is anybody going to the open day on 23rd May? I'm going and I'm meeting my tutor in the morning to discuss APEL. I kind of get the Personal Situational Analysis bit - not sure I can fill 2000 words but I can give it a go! I think that's generally a reflective piece and can be informal/1st person. The Mapping Tool has me a bit stumped - are we meant to fill in the boxes with lists of evidence that relates to that point? It looks more to me like that Mapping Tool is what the people marking our Portfolio's use. If so, do we have to write another essay or supporting statements saying how we fit each criteria and what evidence we have to support this? My tutor has been brilliant so far so I will ask him next week and post anything of use! Good luck everyone! Katie x

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

My understanding of it is that you don't write an explanation of how the evidence supports it, you just write "see xyz" in the box. Although I have no feedback from my tutor as Im yet to have a reply. May try ringing. i haven't been sent a student number yet. Just received the email about signing up for the pre -registration course but can't login without a student number!

Feeling mildly stressed already haha!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

im starting next year! Yeah i was hoping the essay was in a similar style to our personal ststement so we could just elaborate on that! I havent started it either because i've been waiting for someone to get back to me. I didnt want to start it & waste my time if its wrong because im still unsure exactly what their asking for. My understanding of the mapping tool was same as yours that we just put "see job module aims" etc or whatever it is we've chose as evidence in those boxes. Im going to see one of the tutors monday, so i'll report back when i've got it confirmed as to what we're supposed to doing! Lol

Thanks Katie x

ReputationRep:
    Hi, That's great if you could post your feedback! Have you arranged to see your tutor? I live miles away from Sheffield so it's not easy to get there and also Im working full time and this is a really busy time for me at work. If my tutor hasnt emailed back by Monday I will give them a ring. I can't imagine writing 2000 words about myself!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.