The Student Room Group

What can I wear to an interview if I haven't got a suit?

I've been applying for a few part time jobs recently in an attempt to pay for my own travels to college and to save up money for hopefully applying to university, however I'm worried if I do make it to the interview stage that I'll be out of luck because I haven't really got anything that would seem suitable to wear at an interview.

I have a few smart button up shirts, some black ones and a few white and blue ones, but I've got nothing but jeans for trousers, no smart jacket and no smart shoes.

I'm hoping someone has been in this situation and can give me some advice, as I don't feel showing up to an interview in jeans will give a good impression on me. I understand I can plead my case and there are other aspects I can show I'm a worthy candidate for the job, but I don't want to look like I couldn't be bothered to dress up for the occasion.
Reply 1
Original post by ChickenPotPie
I've been applying for a few part time jobs recently in an attempt to pay for my own travels to college and to save up money for hopefully applying to university, however I'm worried if I do make it to the interview stage that I'll be out of luck because I haven't really got anything that would seem suitable to wear at an interview.

I have a few smart button up shirts, some black ones and a few white and blue ones, but I've got nothing but jeans for trousers, no smart jacket and no smart shoes.

I'm hoping someone has been in this situation and can give me some advice, as I don't feel showing up to an interview in jeans will give a good impression on me. I understand I can plead my case and there are other aspects I can show I'm a worthy candidate for the job, but I don't want to look like I couldn't be bothered to dress up for the occasion.

Go primark and buy a plain black smart trouser and black shoes..........and also a tie which matches the shirts.
Reply 2
Could you get a pair of cheap black trousers and shoes from primark or a supermarket? Could your parents lend you the money until you get one of the jobs?
You just need some shoes and trousers. I don't think it would cost more than £40 if you looked in the cheap/ on offer sections. You don't need an expensive suit to make an impression.
Reply 4
Buy a cheap neat shirt, tie & plain black trousers. Make sure your shoes are freshly polished.
Reply 5
if possible borrow money, do the good old buy, leave tags in and return trick if possible
Go out, and buy a suit.

Reply 7
I would just buy a pair of black trousers, a shirt and some black shoes. It shouldn't cost too much and it's always handy to have for future things.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending