Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What would you do if your gf/bf told you that they're asexual? Watch

If your gf/bf said that they realised they were asexual, what would you do?

And if you loved them, and they wanted to continue the relationship, would you want to continue the relationship?

ReputationRep:
    Yes I would continue the realtionship. I would try and act as if nothing had changed, and I would try and be asunderstanding as possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carrotstar)
    Yes I would continue the realtionship. I would try and act as if nothing had changed, and I would try and be asunderstanding as possible.
    lol

ReputationRep:
    I'd sell them to a medical research company; a human that can reproduce asexually would be probably be worth a fortune.

ReputationRep:
    I would opt for an open relationship. I am not asexual, neither am I a monk - life-long abstinence would not work. Casual sex with others whilst continuing the relationship would seem to be the best solution.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    If your gf/bf said that they realised they were asexual, what would you do?

And if you loved them, and they wanted to continue the relationship, would you want to continue the relationship?
    Anonymous, as my girlfriend isn't comfortable with people talking about personal lives.

But yes, I experienced this a few months ago, as she was trying to understand and express how she felt about sex. One important thing I learned about that was that "asexual" really means a vast variety of different things for people, which presumably will change how people react.

If by asexual, they meant that they didn't like sex, I'd have a problem with that. But a lot of the time, asexual just means that, well, given a choice between cake or sex, they don't really understand why most people wouldn't have to think about the choice.

ReputationRep:
    Surely they wouldn't get themselves into a sexual relationship knowing that they're asexual. I don't know, that's just my opinion; some people think and do differently to others.

That would depend on the level of intimacy they'd be willing to commit to. I attended a lecture on intimacy within asexual relationships and the fact is that while some asexuals cannot withstand even hugging or kissing, some are perfectly OK with it.

(Original post by hungergeist)
    I'd sell them to a medical research company; a human that can reproduce asexually would be probably be worth a fortune.
    That's totally immoral.

Personally I'd let them have her for free.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sulphur)
    lol
    seriously didn't mean to put that...but yeah lol

And I misunderstood because I thought of asexual as in how plants reproduce, so I thought it must mean they'd have both gender's parts or something? Anyway I now know better...

ReputationRep:
    you couldn't, could you? They won't be interested in that way would they, so how can it work ? x

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Dangit, looks like you can't edit posts you make anonymously. I was trying to add a direct response to the OP, which was that someone being asexual doesn't necessarily mean you can't have a sexually active relationship, an continue as normal - them coming out to you just means that you can better understand how they feel about sex, and what they want.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say we should be friends. For obvious reasons it wouldn't otherwise work.

ReputationRep:
    Wish them the best of luck, and say I hope they find someone who will love them for who they are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carrotstar)
    seriously didn't mean to put that...but yeah lol

And I misunderstood because I thought of asexual as in how plants reproduce, so I thought it must mean they'd have both gender's parts or something? Anyway I now know better...
    I still maintain my warm chuckle. If only all typos were as funny...

ReputationRep:
    Asexual people aren't interested in relationships with any sex, or any sexual contact - I think that is it anyway.

So I doubt you'd be in a relationship with one if they turned asexual

ReputationRep:
    They can only be with an Asexual person, it cannot work otherwise

ReputationRep:
    This happened to me last week - a guy I was dating for a month told me he thinks he is - though I don't think he is. We almost had sex a number of times, but didn't due to it being too soon since we met (1 week! not our style to do it after such a short time of knowing each other), and due to no protection being at hand, then the moment passed. However, we did everything up to sex, and he initiated a lot of it, and did a lot of it to me. And I could tell he was physically attracted to me, unless he's VERY good at faking things. However, when he broke things off between us (for other reasons - we're living together next year and he didn't want to mess things up), he told me he thinks he's asexual. However, does this sound like being asexual, or has he got the meaning confused? Because although he broke things off, I think there's still a chance for us in the future, and I've sort of fallen for him. I'd be willing to look past it if he was. But I'm just not sure if he is?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn11)
    Wish them the best of luck, and say I hope they find someone who will love them for who they are.
    Pretty much this. Someone who has no interest in sex or intimacy well thats not for me.

ReputationRep:
    I would be confused as to why they are in a relationship with someone. However, I think I am borderline asexual so I don't think the situation would arise.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 29, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.