Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering if anyone else is doing this exam?
    I have a pretty rubbish teacher who has taught us nothing and spent all the time on the coursework and so now I'm teaching myself the specification.
    If anyone has a list of the topics needed or any revision techniques I would really appreciate it

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing the exam too. It is hard to fit in the theory work for the exam along with the coursework but it is a vital part. I'm assuming your under AQA? In the specification their is sections called something like 3.1.1, 3.1.2 and 3.1.3 these are all of the things covered in the exam. From the top of my head things you should learn/revise would be general fibres and fabric knowledge, (my teacher told us that we needed to know the VAST majority of the properties of the key fabrics natural, regenerated and synthetic), Yarns and spinning, Smart materials, Manufacturing processes, environmental/ethical issues.
    As for revision, I don't think I can be of much help, I'm struggling to revise myself, at the minute i'm reading through my hoards of notes, presentations and text books not really taking everything in. I'm going to step up on learning the fabric properties. I would definitely recommend looking at past papers the format is different to the GCSE exam and took me a bit of getting use to.

I really hope this has helped in some way! Good Luck with the exam!

ReputationRep:
    thank you! I'll make sure I know all those things then
    you too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student55)
    I was just wondering if anyone else is doing this exam?
    I have a pretty rubbish teacher who has taught us nothing and spent all the time on the coursework and so now I'm teaching myself the specification.
    If anyone has a list of the topics needed or any revision techniques I would really appreciate it

Snap on the rubbish teacher front :L We just got 3 A4 pages of textbook photocopies every lesson and then had to answer questions. Only had one lesson a week :s
    Probably gonna have to retake it...

ReputationRep:
    How did you guys find it?

ReputationRep:
    which questions stood out that were particularly hard do people think?

ReputationRep:
    Nothing we have done over this year really came up in the exam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilyisgr8)
    Nothing we have done over this year really came up in the exam
    Dont worry, just retake it next year. Try and get a copy of textiles at the cutting edge book, that pretty much has everything you need to revise from. AS and A2 overlap a lot do just try your best :/ the spec is so broad it's just difficult to revise for :/

ReputationRep:
    Which question out of 8/9 did people do?

ReputationRep:
    I did question 9, wbu?

ReputationRep:
    Same! I was more familiar with that one

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't think of 9 things to put about silk crepe haha, I'd revised a lot more on smart materials and finishes anyway. Oh well, which question did you dislike the most?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by estherlois)
    Which question out of 8/9 did people do?
    Question 9 a much nicer one!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emilylawx)
    I couldn't think of 9 things to put about silk crepe haha, I'd revised a lot more on smart materials and finishes anyway. Oh well, which question did you dislike the most?
    the one on the fabric technician and what tests he may have conducted. We skimmed over the testing bit in 10 minutes at the end of a lesson last Friday!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barkers1112)
    the one on the fabric technician and what tests he may have conducted. We skimmed over the testing bit in 10 minutes at the end of a lesson last Friday!!
    Oh! I didn't write a lot about that either tbh only really wrote about the tensometre and something else, that was a horrible question!

ReputationRep:
    Oh! I didn't write a lot about that either tbh only really wrote about the tensometre and something else, that was a horrible question!
    Wish I knew what a tensometre was ;D my teacher is awful, and she's leaving so god knows what awful teacher's in store for next year. At least they can't be worse...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Tbh my teachers are not very good either, the only thing you can really do is self study from the book and hope for the best HAHHA :'( what are you getting for your CW?

ReputationRep:
    Tbh my teachers are not very good either, the only thing you can really do is self study from the book and hope for the best HAHHA :'( what are you getting for your CW?
    Yeah ikr hopefully 100%, my teachers aren't allowed to give us the actual grade yet but they said there wasn't anything wrong with it so looking at very high marks was tempted to aim for an A* overall at A2 for textiles but not sure it's possible now because of this exam :s

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That's what a thought last year haha, luckily U1 and U3 are fairly similar in terms of what you revise, you just need to do it more in depth! You'd never have guess it was so difficult

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I never got taught the different fabric tests so I would say that question was the worst!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.