Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys just a quickie

Im a year 13 student who received 4 rejections this year. Im planning on taking a gap year, getting some wex and volunteering, and reapplying next year. What let me down were my interviews

Now im not actually going to be here for my results on August 15th, and I just wanted to know if it was a HUGE thing for someone in my position to be here to collect the results? I'll be able to use the internet and call the UK with no problem abroad, so thats not an issue, and I come back 2-4 day later.

On a slightly unrelated note, is it usual for people in my position to call unis on results day to ask if there are any positions going? or can the school do that?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toothbrush)
    Hey guys just a quickie

Im a year 13 student who received 4 rejections this year. Im planning on taking a gap year, getting some wex and volunteering, and reapplying next year. What let me down were my interviews

Now im not actually going to be here for my results on August 15th, and I just wanted to know if it was a HUGE thing for someone in my position to be here to collect the results? I'll be able to use the internet and call the UK with no problem abroad, so thats not an issue, and I come back 2-4 day later.

On a slightly unrelated note, is it usual for people in my position to call unis on results day to ask if there are any positions going? or can the school do that?

thanks
    I was in your position this time last year, and no, you don't need to be around to pick up your results. You might want to be around though if you're planning on calling Universities to ask about places, but bear in mind that not many Med Schools will enter clearing. It's worth a shot (I know someone who got a place that way last year, but they might've been on a waiting list or something) but have a serious think about it if it would mean cutting a holiday short

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ingenting)
    I was in your position this time last year, and no, you don't need to be around to pick up your results. You might want to be around though if you're planning on calling Universities to ask about places, but bear in mind that not many Med Schools will enter clearing. It's worth a shot (I know someone who got a place that way last year, but they might've been on a waiting list or something) but have a serious think about it if it would mean cutting a holiday short

Posted from TSR Mobile
    fantastic, thanks

do you mind me asking how it went this year for you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toothbrush)
    fantastic, thanks

do you mind me asking how it went this year for you?
    No worries

Yeah, this year went really well for me, I got an offer from my first choice, so couldn't really do much better

Like you, I didn't have much work experience when I applied the first time around, so I'm currently volunteering on a hospital ward, which, although it can be a bit rubbish (there are times when I can just sit doing nothing for an hour) I have been able to shadow a doctor a few times, which was great

The great thing about reapplying is that you've been through the whole process before, so you know where you need to improve. I also knew that my interviews had let me down last year, so really put in a lot of effort in preparation to do better in them (another bonus of being on a gap year is that as you don't have any A-level work, you can do so much more prep for your interviews). Have you considered an interview course? I went on one this year, and found it incredibly useful- it gave me lots basic information on things like the structure of the NHS, reforms, common conditions they might ask about, and lots of example questions, that I could use to practice and add stuff to from my own research and experience.

You can also improve loads on the other areas of your application too- I managed to bring my UKCAT up from 687.5 to 710 (It would've been higher if my VR had been better ), and my PS felt so much better than the previous year's. Good luck with your year out, and enjoy it- what are you planning on doing, if you don't mind me asking?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.