Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have a Toshiba Satellite (could not tell you the exact model) and it isn't even THAT old. I don't even think it's hit two years yet! But it keeps over heating a ridiculous amount and just turning itself off, then it won't go back on for about 20 minutes. Does anyone know why this is happening? I haven't even been using it for videos/dvds/high powered games or anything, this just happens when I'm looking at lecture slides for uni or on facebook.

It's beginning to get really annoying, I don't want to have to waste all the money I earn over summer on a new laptop :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LSD)
    I have a Toshiba Satellite (could not tell you the exact model) and it isn't even THAT old. I don't even think it's hit two years yet! But it keeps over heating a ridiculous amount and just turning itself off, then it won't go back on for about 20 minutes. Does anyone know why this is happening? I haven't even been using it for videos/dvds/high powered games or anything, this just happens when I'm looking at lecture slides for uni or on facebook.

It's beginning to get really annoying, I don't want to have to waste all the money I earn over summer on a new laptop :/
    If its overheating, then its simply cooling down before resuming hence the 20 minutes.

Its most probably a build up of dust inside your laptop...............either use compressed air can towards the vent to force out the dust build up or open up the back and remove dust manually, should be quite a bit near the fan and heatsinks.

There is 2 other things you can do to improve the temperatures................one easy thing is get a good laptop cooler............other one isn't for novices, which is to replace the thermal paste with something better its a few quid, you need to know what your doing though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    If its overheating, then its simply cooling down before resuming hence the 20 minutes.

Its most probably a build up of dust inside your laptop...............either use compressed air can towards the vent to force out the dust build up or open up the back and remove dust manually, should be quite a bit near the fan and heatsinks.

There is 2 other things you can do to improve the temperatures................one easy thing is get a good laptop cooler............other one isn't for novices, which is to replace the thermal paste with something better its a few quid, you need to know what your doing though.
    Thanks so much, I'll try the air first then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LSD)
    Compressed air cans cost a bit, though I don't advise it as the best choice, as opening up and removing manual is far more efficient, just need to be careful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LSD)
    Make sure you fully shut it down before spraying.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.