Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

Seeing as I am a complete genius, I managed to snap my Student Oyster card a few weeks back. I'm going on placement on Monday so I'm going to need to pay out for a travelcard.

If I repair the card with tape or something, will it still be valid if it still reads on the ticket barriers? I could really do without having to fork out to repair the card.

Any advice much appreciated,

The idiot who broke her Oyster card

ReputationRep:
    Lol, sorry I have no idea but this made me laugh so hard LOOOL. I guess you could just walk onto the bus and try it :P

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it will work lol. It's just standard RFID you could snap it 10 times and a tiny fraction of the card would still work

Posted from TSR iPad

ReputationRep:
    This happened to me before.

It depends where you've snapped it; if you've snapped it on the chip then it won't work but if it's anywhere else it should still work.

I somehow managed to snap mine on the chip :mad: so it wouldn't beep anymore; they made me pay £10 for a new one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by feathermoon)
    Lol, sorry I have no idea but this made me laugh so hard LOOOL. I guess you could just walk onto the bus and try it :P
    Hahaha, when I saw it in two pieces I had to laugh as well. No idea how I even managed to do it xD

I'm gonna stick it into a new oyster wallet thing to hold it together when I go to put the travelcard on it, I guess if it still reads it's still valid??? I couldn't find any info on the TfL site, I guess it's not every day you manage to snap a card in half without realising lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperSam_Fantastiche)
    Hahaha, when I saw it in two pieces I had to laugh as well. No idea how I even managed to do it xD

I'm gonna stick it into a new oyster wallet thing to hold it together when I go to put the travelcard on it, I guess if it still reads it's still valid??? I couldn't find any info on the TfL site, I guess it's not every day you manage to snap a card in half without realising lol
    Haha, yeah. Good luck, and I think it should work :P

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't cost that much to get a replacement/buy a new one ??

ReputationRep:
    Just tape it up neatly and it'll work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Presenttime)
    It doesn't cost that much to get a replacement/buy a new one ??
    It costs £10, then I have to wait up to 2 weeks for it to arrive, in the meantime I'll have to pay full adult fare to get to my placement which I could do without if the broken one is going to work

ReputationRep:
    You may as well try, if you're going by bus then the driver may let you on if your card doesn't beep. If youre going by tube, it may be worth checking it on the reader at the ticket office at your nearest station, unless if it's Kings Cross or somewhere because there'll be a long queue of annoyed tourists there.

If it doesn't work, look through the TFL website if it's a photo card and getting a replacement, it's £10 and doesn't take long, trust me I lose mine almost every three months . If its an adult card then if it's registered you may be able to get the balance back, if not then youll have to start fresh. You can get a new one at a ticket office I think.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.