Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ive done some research around the topic of architecture and I've read that women are treated very differently opposed to their male co-workers - why is that the case? Would this ever change, for example by 5-10 years time?

I've read that they get paid much less for the same job
    plus apparently any women haven't been allowed oppurtunities to lead projects themselves - wouldnt you think its unfair?

So is architecture, as a field, worth going into if you're a female?

Is there a reason why not many females study architecture at uni?

ReputationRep:
    I think there was a report done a while back on women in architecture (cant remember who did it though) you might have already seen it but it's a pretty interesting read, ill have to see if I can find it.

Already been quite a lot of change in the industry already, whether there's more or how long it takes will simply be a case of waiting to see, its quite possible that there will be more change.

There's no way of knowing though if the fact that they haven't been chosen as project lead is simply due to the fact that someone may be better qualified or some other reasons...

I think it is definitely worth going into as a field if you're interested in it, after all you don't have to become an architect as a result. It's an interesting topic to study and well respected by employers in other industries.

On my course at the moment there are more female than male students, although it is still considered to be a 'male' profession or subject of study. It tends to be towards the last few years before qualifying that women seem to drop out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jlrxx)
    I think there was a report done a while back on women in architecture (cant remember who did it though) you might have already seen it but it's a pretty interesting read, ill have to see if I can find it.

Already been quite a lot of change in the industry already, whether there's more or how long it takes will simply be a case of waiting to see, its quite possible that there will be more change.

There's no way of knowing though if the fact that they haven't been chosen as project lead is simply due to the fact that someone may be better qualified or some other reasons...

I think it is definitely worth going into as a field if you're interested in it, after all you don't have to become an architect as a result. It's an interesting topic to study and well respected by employers in other industries.

On my course at the moment there are more female than male students, although it is still considered to be a 'male' profession or subject of study. It tends to be towards the last few years before qualifying that women seem to drop out.

I think I might have seen that report
    changes in what way do you mean?
    I suppose thats true for the leading projects

Oh really, do you study at sheffield uni? could you give me more of insight of what goes on perhaps in year 1 of the course please?

Would you know why women drop out by the end - is it the workload? difficulty? etc
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by tania2396)
    Ive done some research around the topic of architecture and I've read that women are treated very differently opposed to their male co-workers - why is that the case? Would this ever change, for example by 5-10 years time?

plus apparently any women haven't been allowed oppurtunities to lead projects themselves - wouldnt you think its unfair?

I don't think the field is half as bad as it used to be say 10 years ago. Times are changing. At the end of the day you should do what you want to do. Someone saying you can't because you're a woman is stupid and incredibly ignorant. 50% of the people on my course are female and i'd say about 1/3 of the Architects are female too. Well over half of my tutors are female too and are extremely good at their jobs, from structural engineers to architects and surveyors.

In my opinion you should follow your passion regardless of obstacles and rewards.

ReputationRep:

I think that's pretty groundless, there's about a 50:50 gender mix in my architecture school, and a similar ratio in the workplace.

There's definitely an imbalance as you work your way up the ranks to more senior practitioners, but these things have an inherent lag time (after all, you're not considered an experienced architect until you're at least 40) so I think it's more indicative of a previously imbalanced system from the 20th century, rather than an example of a problem that's still around

ReputationRep:
    I think I might have seen that report
    changes in what way do you mean?
    I suppose thats true for the leading projects

Oh really, do you study at sheffield uni? could you give me more of insight of what goes on perhaps in year 1 of the course please?

Would you know why women drop out by the end - is it the workload? difficulty? etc
    my lecturers and tutors have said that over the last couple of decades they've noticed a change in the number of women working as architects, the number working at architecture schools, taking on major commissions, even just the number of women qualifying has all risen.

is there anything in particular you want to know about, e.g. timetable, workspace? theres a load of stuff I could tell you but I wouldn't even know where to begin lol

obviously it depends on the individual but what ive heard most of the time is due to family life. many women want to start a family around the time they will have graduated and as a result delay going into the profession due to the long working hours and stress and as a result there isn't as much of an opportunity for career progression. other reasons I guess are the pressure of the workload, low pay, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jlrxx)
    my lecturers and tutors have said that over the last couple of decades they've noticed a change in the number of women working as architects, the number working at architecture schools, taking on major commissions, even just the number of women qualifying has all risen.

is there anything in particular you want to know about, e.g. timetable, workspace? theres a load of stuff I could tell you but I wouldn't even know where to begin lol

obviously it depends on the individual but what ive heard most of the time is due to family life. many women want to start a family around the time they will have graduated and as a result delay going into the profession due to the long working hours and stress and as a result there isn't as much of an opportunity for career progression. other reasons I guess are the pressure of the workload, low pay, etc.

ah right i understand now

Yes timetable and the workshop! btw do you guys get given a project where you then design and create models of the buildings? is that how it works along with exams-perhaps in year 1?

hmm starting a family really does seem to have an affect on architecture as a career :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gunnerzz)
    I don't think the field is half as bad as it used to be say 10 years ago. Times are changing. At the end of the day you should do what you want to do. Someone saying you can't because you're a woman is stupid and incredibly ignorant. 50% of the people on my course are female and i'd say about 1/3 of the Architects are female too. Well over half of my tutors are female too and are extremely good at their jobs, from structural engineers to architects and surveyors.

In my opinion you should follow your passion regardless of obstacles and rewards.
    true thanks for the info!

(Original post by Architecture-er)
    I think that's pretty groundless, there's about a 50:50 gender mix in my architecture school, and a similar ratio in the workplace.

There's definitely an imbalance as you work your way up the ranks to more senior practitioners, but these things have an inherent lag time (after all, you're not considered an experienced architect until you're at least 40) so I think it's more indicative of a previously imbalanced system from the 20th century, rather than an example of a problem that's still around
    wow i actually didnt expect that at the age of 40 is considered experienced! thought it might have been slightly earlier, oh well :/

Gosh the 2 of you have made it to the top unis for architecture! :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    wow i actually didnt expect that at the age of 40 is considered experienced! thought it might have been slightly earlier, oh well :/

Gosh the 2 of you have made it to the top unis for architecture! :awesome:
    Well that's how they ballpark it anyway, like the age you start getting published and given awards and things

There are a few "40 under 40" shortlists in the profession as well, just to ram home how special it is to be even slightly well-known at that age :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Architecture-er)
    Well that's how they ballpark it anyway, like the age you start getting published and given awards and things

There are a few "40 under 40" shortlists in the profession as well, just to ram home how special it is to be even slightly well-known at that age :lol:
    oh really, thats interesting!

ReputationRep:
    ah right i understand now

Yes timetable and the workshop! btw do you guys get given a project where you then design and create models of the buildings? is that how it works along with exams-perhaps in year 1?

hmm starting a family really does seem to have an affect on architecture as a career :/
    my timetable for this year is
    Monday- 11-1, 2-4 lectures
    Tuesday- 9-5 studio time (includes tutorials, seminars)
    Wednesday- 9:15-11:15 computer workshop or drawing workshop
    Thursday- 9-5 studio time or model making workshop
    Friday- 9-5 studio time

thing is that it actually varies a lot from above depending on what project your on, what stage of the project it is, etc. some weeks I end up going in for only a couple of hours over the whole 5 days, others im in 9-5 everyday. we also seem to run over a lot as well, was in uni 8:30-7:30 on Friday

1st and 2nd years use studios on floor 18 on different days (takes up about 2/3 of the floorspace I guess), also have computer rooms on floor 18 and 19 we can use, a model making workshop on floor 16, print room on floor 15 (for printing anything bigger than A3)

models are a part of every project we do. basic run approach to project>>get given a brief, think up basic ideas, draw sketches, make sketch models to test light levels,etc, go on to do scale plans and sections, scale model.
    no exams, just portfolio hand in

ReputationRep:
    I think that treating women differently in the workplace is unfair. A female architect doing the same job as a man should get the same rate of pay as a man. I think theres a lot of inequality in the professional sector. I've read about inequality in the city and its sexist to treat women as inferiors.

Wow that looks like a really cool timetable. What do the lectures consist of? I'm thinking of doing architecture but although I do AS maths and physics, I'm not particularly good at either of them. Do you need to do a lot of physics? My strengths are art and history are they enough to get into architecture school?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jlrxx)
    my timetable for this year is
    Monday- 11-1, 2-4 lectures
    Tuesday- 9-5 studio time (includes tutorials, seminars)
    Wednesday- 9:15-11:15 computer workshop or drawing workshop
    Thursday- 9-5 studio time or model making workshop
    Friday- 9-5 studio time

thing is that it actually varies a lot from above depending on what project your on, what stage of the project it is, etc. some weeks I end up going in for only a couple of hours over the whole 5 days, others im in 9-5 everyday. we also seem to run over a lot as well, was in uni 8:30-7:30 on Friday

1st and 2nd years use studios on floor 18 on different days (takes up about 2/3 of the floorspace I guess), also have computer rooms on floor 18 and 19 we can use, a model making workshop on floor 16, print room on floor 15 (for printing anything bigger than A3)

models are a part of every project we do. basic run approach to project>>get given a brief, think up basic ideas, draw sketches, make sketch models to test light levels,etc, go on to do scale plans and sections, scale model.
    no exams, just portfolio hand in
    interesting timetable - what are lectures currently on? im quite surprised, thought you wouldve had exams to do as well as develop a portfolio!
    how many floors are there in that building!? it seems massive! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    interesting timetable - what are lectures currently on? im quite surprised, thought you wouldve had exams to do as well as develop a portfolio!
    how many floors are there in that building!? it seems massive! :eek:
    at the moment they're on vernacular architecture, sustainability in design and materials.
    nope its all assessed on portfolio at the end of the year and on assignments throughout each semester usually when else is doing their exams we have very little to do for a few weeks which is good, portfolio hand in (basically the end of our first year) is before most other courses even start their exams so we have a few weeks of free time when everyone else is studying (can get a bit boring though tbh lol)
    20 in total (with one of the floors being in the basement) trust me being on floor 19 when theres a fire alarm is horrible especially when you have to walk all the way back up afterwards when the lifts are packed...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jlrxx)
    at the moment they're on vernacular architecture, sustainability in design and materials.
    nope its all assessed on portfolio at the end of the year and on assignments throughout each semester usually when else is doing their exams we have very little to do for a few weeks which is good, portfolio hand in (basically the end of our first year) is before most other courses even start their exams so we have a few weeks of free time when everyone else is studying (can get a bit boring though tbh lol)
    20 in total (with one of the floors being in the basement) trust me being on floor 19 when theres a fire alarm is horrible especially when you have to walk all the way back up afterwards when the lifts are packed...
    ahhh thats interesting
    oh yay no exams! but then i suppose a lot of time is spent doing the portfolio work
    wow, ergh sounds horrible

ReputationRep:
    Put it this way when I think of famous architects at least 6 men spring to mind and 1 woman.........Zaha Hadid.
    Mind you compared to the history of architecture that's actually doing quite well really.
    So that's one woman in the whole history of architecture ever.
    Whereas if you think of the history of the world at least half a dozen women spring to mind.....Cleopatra......Bodaccea ........Joan of arc........Queen Elizabeth I ....Chanel.............ETC.
    Doing a bit better.
    When you think of finance....................0 (unless you count Thatcher but then she wasn't really a woman)

ReputationRep:
    ahhh thats interesting
    oh yay no exams! but then i suppose a lot of time is spent doing the portfolio work
    wow, ergh sounds horrible
    sorting out your portfolio isn't too bad. when you do your reviews at the end of each project you have to present using final drawings which you can then put straight into your portfolio, so you build it up gradually throughout the year.
    that's pretty much all they expect us to have, some people do a summary sheet for each project but its up to the individual.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arketec)
    Put it this way when I think of famous architects at least 6 men spring to mind and 1 woman.........Zaha Hadid.
    Mind you compared to the history of architecture that's actually doing quite well really.
    So that's one woman in the whole history of architecture ever.
    Whereas if you think of the history of the world at least half a dozen women spring to mind.....Cleopatra......Bodaccea ........Joan of arc........Queen Elizabeth I ....Chanel.............ETC.
    Doing a bit better.
    When you think of finance....................0 (unless you count Thatcher but then she wasn't really a woman)
    zaha is the only successful female architect that ive heard of
    yeah I understand where you're coming from

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jlrxx)
    sorting out your portfolio isn't too bad. when you do your reviews at the end of each project you have to present using final drawings which you can then put straight into your portfolio, so you build it up gradually throughout the year.
    that's pretty much all they expect us to have, some people do a summary sheet for each project but its up to the individual.
    oh okay!
    thanks for the information, its helped a lot!

ReputationRep:
    Cool so, let's get on with making history!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.