Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    My hair is naturally mousey brown but I've been dyeing it darker brown permanently for about 6 years after I started going grey insanely early and also to get a richer, less mousey colour.
    Even though my hair is in good condition and I don't use heat I've been thinking of trying something more gentle on it and am considering the Lush brand henna in "caca brun".

Has anyone else used this or any other henna?
    If so what did the colour come out like, was it red at all?
    Also how much messier is it than normal hair dye?
    Any henna horror stories to tell?

My aim is to get a slightly lighter chestnut brown colour so I'm considering using colour b4 to strip some of the colour build up from my hair first (it's quite dark at the ends especially).
    Is it a bad idea to use colour b4 before you use henna?
    Has anyone tried this?

Thanks

Also is it possible to touch-up your roots with henna without the ends getting continually darker? I've heard henna is quite a commitment

ReputationRep:
    Better late than never!
    Yeah, I have known a few girls use the Lush Henna and it works very well, though do be warned, it is really strong and will ruin your clothes. However, it doesn't come off and stays in your hair for an insane length of time. The colour can come out auburn'ish, but because henna is somewhat slightly uneven in colouring hair, it looks completely natural and you can't tell it is dyed.

I've no idea about using colour before using henna though, so you might want to do some R&D into that just to check :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimbo1234)
    Better late than never!
    Yeah, I have known a few girls use the Lush Henna and it works very well, though do be warned, it is really strong and will ruin your clothes. However, it doesn't come off and stays in your hair for an insane length of time. The colour can come out auburn'ish, but because henna is somewhat slightly uneven in colouring hair, it looks completely natural and you can't tell it is dyed.

I've no idea about using colour before using henna though, so you might want to do some R&D into that just to check :rofl:
    Thanks for the reply.
    I did it and it turned out pretty good! It's a bit light, but because it's good for your hair I'm just going to do it again to darken it up a bit

Also I was expecting it to be much messier than it was! It is actually less messy than normal dye because it doesn't stain immediately, only if you leave it. Smells pretty bad though

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 28, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.