Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

'Child abuser' database: dangerous or deserved? watch

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    No idea why I made the title so dramatic

Heard on the news that some people want access to a database that tells you whether a child abuser is living close to you. Pretty sure the women they talked to were both Mums, arguing that they had the right to know this kind of thing.

Do you agree? Or do you agree with the counter argument that it only encourages vigilantism?
    (heard this on the BBC but now I can't find an article on their website)

Edit: I changed paedophile to 'child abuser' to reflect the fact we are talking about convicted offenders. I think everyone knew what we were talking about, but just to be correct I changed it.

ReputationRep:
    Saw the women on tv. What a pair of nasty lowlives!

ReputationRep:
    I'd agree, I'd want to know if there was a paedophile in the area if I was a parent.

If it encourages vigilantism and a paedophile gets beaten to death, well then it's one less sicko on the streets.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently (what I'm about to say hinges massively on that word, so read it, read it, then read it again, because I know someone's going to call me out for bs or some ****), or at the very least according to my mother, our area is designated as a "safe zone", which means they can send paedophiles from other parts of the country down here.

Clearly it's a good idea because there is no-one younger than 16 in my entire town... :rolleyes:

If what she says is true, then yeah, in situations like that I think it's a good idea because we'd have everybody else's paedos to contend with as well as our own.

Edit: Hylean makes a good point about the paedo/child abuser difference. From what I understand, paedophilia is a mental condition and the urges can be suppressed, in which case (as long as said urges are being suppressed) no damage is being done. That in itself doesn't bother me, it's the result of weak people being unable to suppress the urges that bothers me.

ReputationRep:
    People have a right to privacy. If you've done something sick, and gone to prison for 10 years for it, you should be able to re-integrate with society. A database like this will strongly prohibit this.

The government should protect us from these horrendous ordeals. Let's not try to figure out who else may pose a threat in the future at some point.

If we set this up, we're making pedophilia worse than cold blooded murder, as the sentence is never lifted, and we may as well keep them in prison forever (as we do indirectly). It seems a little extreme.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Dragonborn)
    If it encourages vigilantism and a paedophile gets beaten to death, well then it's one less sicko on the streets.
    Disgusting. What if there's a case of mistaken identity? Then you've just condoned murder of an innocent.

Pedophiles should be in prison, until they are safe to be released. If they're released, they should be kept out of jobs where they'd have accessed to children by way of CRB checks.

ReputationRep:
    No. Everyone has a right to privacy.

ReputationRep:
    By paedophile, I assume you mean convicted child abusers, as the two are not synonymous in the slightest.

I am against the idea, because it is the police's duty to protect the citizens and such a database would end in a lot of violence. There is no need for it and everyone has a right to privacy.

ReputationRep:
    No, it's a bad idea. It's going to result in a lot of vigilante behaviour and create real problems in areas where there are paedophiles present. It's simply a case of being careful and making sure that you don't allow your kids to get into dangerous situations. Parents shouldn't have to change their behaviour and methods; you should always assume that your kids are going to be in danger and just manage it accordingly.

Plus, if these people are known to the Police then obviously the Police are going to be keeping an eye on them. It's not like convicted paedophiles are just allowed to roam around at will and not have somebody making sure they're sticking to the right track.

ReputationRep:
    I dunno, I don't think I agree with it.
    Where would we draw the line? Murders, Rapists ect?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Donald Duck)
    If we set this up, we're making pedophilia worse than cold blooded murder, as the sentence is never lifted, and we may as well keep them in prison forever (as we do indirectly). It seems a little extreme.

I'd personally say that paedophilia is as bad as cold-blooded murder. However, unlike murder, a victim of a paedophile would have to live with those experiences for the rest of their life.

ReputationRep:
    It encourages vigilantism. So I say no, although quite why paedophiles are roaming the streets is another matter.

Another reason to vote pro-death penalty, innit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pjm600)
    Disgusting. What if there's a case of mistaken identity? Then you've just condoned murder of an innocent.

Pedophiles should be in prison, until they are safe to be released. If they're released, they should be kept out of jobs where they'd have accessed to children by way of CRB checks.
    Yeah, that's true with the prison thing, I've got to agree with you there. But then there's also the same chance that an innocent will be locked up for the rest of their life. If they're eventually allowed to get a job as you say, what if their dream job is to be a teacher, or a paediatrician, or anything else which would involve access to children? Then you have just denied an innocent person the fulfilling career that they want.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's a good idea, leave it for the Police and the Courts.

ReputationRep:
    I think people should be informed if there are dangerous people in the area, but they shouldn't be specifically told who and where they are to prevent vigilantism.

ReputationRep:
    Only a Paedo would disagree

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, that's true with the prison thing, I've got to agree with you there. But then there's also the same chance that an innocent will be locked up for the rest of their life. If they're eventually allowed to get a job as you say, what if their dream job is to be a teacher, or a paediatrician, or anything else which would involve access to children? Then you have just denied an innocent person the fulfilling career that they want.
    There's the difference. Would you not agree that there is a higher chance of vigilantes 'getting the wrong guy' than a police force?

It would be absurd to think vigilantes would go to the courts, use DNA etc., to make sure they have the right guy before 'beating him to death'.

ReputationRep:
    I'd personally say that paedophilia is as bad as cold-blooded murder. However, unlike murder, a victim of a paedophile would have to live with those experiences for the rest of their life.
    Paedophile =/= child molester

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by freeurmind)
    Only a Paedo would disagree
    Guess that makes me a paedo then since I strongly disagree with this idea.

ReputationRep:
    Look, if you're not gonna execute paedos, you cannot leave them tied and cuffed to the wall in a padded cell for the rest of their lives.

Failing reinstatement of capital punishment, we must have no alternative but go all left-wing and say that they deserve another chance - but you must then do just that: give them another chance!

If you rehabilitate them, cure what's wrong with their heads, and let them try to make a second go of life. If you are going to purport a policy such as that then at least have the guts to stick by it and coerce your other policies around it.

What good would it do to pay to rehabilitate paedos and then tell everyone where they live by publishing a public datebase? :rolleyes:

I am not a fan of vigilantism in any stretch of the imagination. I believe law and order should be dealt with officially, by the state. In fact, vigilantes should be dealt with by the state, too.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.