Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm just wondering if these two words ARE in general intetchangBle and just refer to how the nerve impulse is passed along or is there a huge difference between the two terms, will give rep of course
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CasualSoul)
    I'm just wondering if these two words ARE in general intetchangBle and just refer to how the nerve impulse is passed along or is there a huge difference between the two terms, will give rep of course
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    The two are essentially synonymic in this context. The slight difference may be that propagation of an impulse is more just getting across that the impulse travels from A to B, whereas conduction may put slightly more emphasis on how the mechanism works. If you are talking about conduction then this may imply that you are thinking about voltage gated channels, what factors may affect the conduction, etc. Whereas if you are just talking about propagation you are focusing on the impulse moving and the effects it may have.

It's similar to the difference "I go to work" (propagate) and "I walk to work" (conduct).

Another point to note is just a grammatical one. The impulse propagates along the nerve, but the nerve conducts the impulse (different verbs). But these are essentially the same thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llewellyn)
    The two are essentially synonymic in this context. The slight difference may be that propagation of an impulse is more just getting across that the impulse travels from A to B, whereas conduction may put slightly more emphasis on how the mechanism works. If you are talking about conduction then this may imply that you are thinking about voltage gated channels, what factors may affect the conduction, etc. Whereas if you are just talking about propagation you are focusing on the impulse moving and the effects it may have.

It's similar to the difference "I go to work" (propagate) and "I walk to work" (conduct).

Another point to note is just a grammatical one. The impulse propagates along the nerve, but the nerve conducts the impulse (different verbs). But these are essentially the same thing.
    thanks really helped especially the e.g. of walking to work. Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.