Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of applying to halls instead of commuting, which was my original plan. The only problem is, I'm pretty introverted, not a heavy drinker and don't like clubbing. I'm fine with some drinking and going to bars or clubs and stuff.

It's just, I'm really worried that everyone I will live with will be heavy drinkers and clubbers, and I'll just end up not bonding with them much because of this. I have a pretty naff social life at the moment, but that's just through choice of my own, not that people don't invite me out etc. I'm hoping to change this by university and there's no way of that happening when I commute.

I just don't really know what to do

ReputationRep:
    not EVERYONE at uni does that, you'll meet all types of people there. if you don't try you don't know

ReputationRep:
    Just because you live with them doesn't you you have to go out with them everytime.

Try for the first couple of weeks and if you just don't like clubbing then just don't go no biggie

ReputationRep:
    Not everyone drinks heavy and goes clubbing. I'm sure there are people who share similar interests.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies everyone!

I know not everyone is into heavy drinking + drugs etc, but from basically everyone I know at uni and are going to uni, they are into that sort of thing. I guess I'm just worried of having housemates who go out clubbing a lot and come back really early and they would just dislike me purely because I'm not really into that type of thing (I hate clubbing or anything that involves dancing so much haha) I mean don't get me wrong I enjoy drinking, I just don't enjoy clubbing and getting too drunk. I wouldn't even mind them doing it every now and then + coming in really late, I'm not that much of a bore :P.

To be honest I don't really want to feel left out of making friends when everyone is out during the first few weeks clubbing :/ or feel uncomfortable as I am "expected" to do those sorts of things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phes)

I know not everyone is into heavy drinking + drugs etc, but from basically everyone I know at uni and are going to uni, they are into that sort of thing. I guess I'm just worried of having housemates who go out clubbing a lot and come back really early and they would just dislike me purely because I'm not really into that type of thing (I hate clubbing or anything that involves dancing so much haha) I mean don't get me wrong I enjoy drinking, I just don't enjoy clubbing and getting too drunk. I wouldn't even mind them doing it every now and then + coming in really late, I'm not that much of a bore :P.

To be honest I don't really want to feel left out of making friends when everyone is out during the first few weeks clubbing :/ or feel uncomfortable as I am "expected" to do those sorts of things.
    I relise it seems that most students get hammered every night and do loads of drugs and I not going to lie that does happen.

but you'll find people don't get so completely off their face as you think ( well maybe in freshers week) as long as you go out sometimes maybe join a society that isn't centered around drinking you should have a good time (I spent 4 years at uni and had a good time going clubbing with mates and stuff and I didn't drink at all)

ReputationRep:
    Most of the people I know who aren't very sociable in terms of drinking have struggled to make friends in their halls, and have tended to make friends with course/ society mates. They've obviously made one or two, but not nearly as many as those whose go out a lot.
    Others will disagree on here, but that is what I've experienced in my uni. Of course you can be lucky, and be put with housemates who rather just chill out than pre-drink and go clubbing etc, but you would be lucky.
    Having said that, some unis are more clubby than others. I go to Cardiff, which has a lot of clubs and a lot of big student nights out, but I've heard places like Warwick tend to be a bit more chilled. Obviously they still have clubs, but less.

ReputationRep:
    I was looking at either Goldsmiths and the University of Westminster. As these are both in London I imagine that a lot of people go clubbing here?

It just seems I get mixed opinions on this. I really don't know what to do I don't want to stay in halls and end up regretting it, however I don't want to miss out on making friends and the university experience (minus clubbing and drugs haha). As I said I'm fine with drinking, going out to bars, pubs etc, just not clubbing, and I'm aware that clubbing is central to the university experience in a lot of peoples eyes.

I wish you wasn't fixed into your accommodation because I would just try it, and if I didn't like it I could just leave after a few months!

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a similar boat. Well I can be pretty sociable, but at other times around other people I'm not. It's pretty weird. And I used to drink and stuff but I'm bored of it already. I don't understand how people can be drinking and go out clubbing for years and still find it fun. The fun wore off after a year for me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phes)
    I was looking at either Goldsmiths and the University of Westminster. As these are both in London I imagine that a lot of people go clubbing here?

It just seems I get mixed opinions on this. I really don't know what to do I don't want to stay in halls and end up regretting it, however I don't want to miss out on making friends and the university experience (minus clubbing and drugs haha). As I said I'm fine with drinking, going out to bars, pubs etc, just not clubbing, and I'm aware that clubbing is central to the university experience in a lot of peoples eyes.

I wish you wasn't fixed into your accommodation because I would just try it, and if I didn't like it I could just leave after a few months!

Hey there, I am going to Goldsmiths and although I do like clubbing, I also enjoy the bar/pub scene just like you. As other people have said there will be many people at uni with different tastes and in London there will be many fantastic bar/pubs.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not particularly sociable, and I love halls! I'm the kind of person who keeps myself to myself most of the time, but sometimes I want company and there always is company in halls.

ReputationRep:
    I'm probably like you and I stayed in halls and didn't enjoy it.

That said, I would have preferred it to staying at home!

There is a chance you will make friends, some people I know did but I really didn't get on with anyone in my halls. If this happens though you don't really loose out - just make sure you go to societies etc and make friends with people on your course.

I would advise against commuting personally, simply because you will be missing everything else that comes with moving out. But then you will save about 3.5k... which is a lot of money.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Phes)

I've never been big into drinking and getting drunk, but do enjoy going out every so often for a few drinks and a bit of clubbing, but nothing over the top. I've never done drugs! I can tell you that there are loads of people at uni who would don't fit this stereotype, so don't worry.

I moved into halls, and the people I lived with were really nice as people, but we had different interests. I went out with them clubbing few times during freshers week because everyone was going out, but after that I would decide not to go out with them - it was OK for them but I wanted to be awake at my 9am lectures the next morning! They didn't hate me for it, it just meant we weren't close friends. It was my choice not to go out with them all the time - I was always invited - so wasn't purposefully left out. However, if I ever had a problem (e.g. my dog died during uni) they were super helpful and sympathetic, so we were on good terms so to speak.

Nonetheless, through halls I met my 3 wonderful housemates (they were on a different floor, and I only became friends with one of them as I wanted to have someone from my course who I could walk to lectures with, and then she introduced me to her friends) who I live with now. We tend to do plenty of social things together, mostly things like meal nights / BBQs, movie nights, bowling, cinema trips etc. with the very occasional night out.

I didn't have a choice to commute every day, but I did enjoy the independence of living away from home and not wasting time travelling every day. I wouldn't pressure you to go into halls, but for me, in the end it turned out to be a good experience as I didn't make many friends from societies or from my course in 1st year.

ReputationRep:
    I'm the same!

I am actually very sociable and like to go out but I won't be drinking really or going to clubs. I will go out to the student bar and other bars but I know personally (from past experience) if I start going out a lot to clubs I won't apply myself properly to my work! If people don't want to be my friends for it then fine. Don't ever do something you don't want to just to fit in.

And anyway I'm sure if you join clubs etc where people have the same hobbies and interests as you, you will actually make some TRUE friends who could well be friends for life if your lucky... rather than just drinking buddies who you will probably forget about because all you have in common is drinking.

I'm sure everyone will be very accepting of each other no matter what you want to do. Also if you happen to not make friends with anyone in Halls, or even in your Uni, take a look at local clubs and things you could join and I am sure someone will be out there who can be your friend!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.