Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Am I mad? mature student returning to education Watch

ReputationRep:
    I repeat.... am I mad? Quitting a stable NHS job to go to uni to study HND jewellery and silversmithing! I've just confirmed or firmed my place on the course for next Sept (2014). What if I dont find work is scaring me a bit but it is where my heart is. Originally I asked for a career break after long discussions and employers supporting me but when I was offered a place it was denied. But I can't li e my life saying what if... just hope not May .ng wrong decision. GULP. *excuse typos am doing this via my mobile phone*

Any advise from those of you in similar situation be great. My course is full time (Mon tues thurs fri -current students say that they Also go in on weds) so thinking if I work full time during my hols the money will tide me over my course. I have saved and am continuing to save money. Though working in he eve and weekends would be idea if I were 18 but as a 33 y.o with a child may not work for me though not entirely ruled.out I have great support from my parents too.

ReputationRep:
    I left a 20+ year career in IT to do an undergrad degree at the age of 44. It was only supposed to be a three year career break, but I went on to do a Masters and am now starting a PhD!

The future is very financially shaky as my savings run out around this time next year and I have no idea what's going to happen next. However, going to uni was the best decision I've ever made. These have been the happiest and most fulfilling four and a half years of my life.

I can do no better than hope that you enjoy following your dream, every bit as much as I have

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    I left a 20+ year career in IT to do an undergrad degree at the age of 44. It was only supposed to be a three year career break, but I went on to do a Masters and am now starting a PhD!

The future is very financially shaky as my savings run out around this time next year and I have no idea what's going to happen next. However, going to uni was the best decision I've ever made. These have been the happiest and most fulfilling four and a half years of my life.

I can do no better than hope that you enjoy following your dream, every bit as much as I have
    That good, I be doing degree in Computing in this September and will be looking to get a career in IT after graduation. What was your job role and do you got any advice on how its like to work in IT?

ReputationRep:
    Your brave. Investigate finances you should be able to get some help. Is it a sandwich course with a placement? Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hats off to you for taking a leap. I hope it works out for you. I'm not sure on the specifics with regards to funding for HND courses or anything like that, so if I were you I'd talk to the university about what funding is available, if you haven't already done so. One big plus for you is that you have well over a year to save money which will no doubt come in handy at some point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMagicRat)
    Hats off to you for taking a leap. I hope it works out for you. I'm not sure on the specifics with regards to funding for HND courses or anything like that, so if I were you I'd talk to the university about what funding is available, if you haven't already done so. One big plus for you is that you have well over a year to save money which will no doubt come in handy at some point.
    Yes I can get funds from student finance I've investigated all that. I've had an email from the uni regarding available bursary from them for my first year and scholarships I'd be entitled to apply for given my background. I like to think if I get my head down, work hard and use money sensibly and keep an eye out for opportunities and don't be afraid to go for them (it's all part of learning) things will work out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marklavender)
    Your brave. Investigate finances you should be able to get some help. Is it a sandwich course with a placement? Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No its not a sandwich course its 2 years no placements but plenty of opportunity to exhibit work and enter competitions set by the industry which if won offers you a placement and cash reward.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)

I'm hoping to do access course in September and then intend to go on to study law. Very nervous about going back to education at the age of 40, but hearing how much you're enjoying it makes me feel more encouraged.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Venn)
    I repeat.... am I mad? Quitting a stable NHS job to go to uni to study HND jewellery and silversmithing!
    Yes - barking in fact - but then again, if you are, so am I! I'm leaving many (long) years of financial services to return to education.

With this in mind, we're bound to get cold feet at some point and your resolve may waiver - but imagine getting to 70 or 80 and wishing you had when you hadn't?

That would be enough to drive anyone completely mad! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NeilVox)
    Yes - barking in fact - but then again, if you are, so am I! I'm leaving many (long) years of financial services to return to education.

With this in mind, we're bound to get cold feet at some point and your resolve may waiver - but imagine getting to 70 or 80 and wishing you had when you hadn't?

That would be enough to drive anyone completely mad! :eek:
    Ha ha yes you're right... 'what ifs' and 'I wish I'd' are terrible to live with when you know you had the opportunity and didn't take it.

What will you be studying?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm leaving my nhs job to go back to education too! Apart from the financial aspect I'm thoroughly looking forward to it! I'm hoping I won't be needed 5 days a week as its a fortune for me to commute :-s but it's what I want/need to do :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kmcgowan13)
    I'm leaving my nhs job to go back to education too! Apart from the financial aspect I'm thoroughly looking forward to it! I'm hoping I won't be needed 5 days a week as its a fortune for me to commute :-s but it's what I want/need to do :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thought I was alone with my decision... I'm not the only one! May I ask what you do in the nhs and what you will be studying? I'm really excited about going back to education but to study something I've never done before as well is really exciting.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I work in the health visiting team :-) and I'm going to do an undergraduates in childhood studies (should be easy! :-) so I can do a PGCE and become a primary school teacher. Im 26, a mummy and I've got 6 years experience in education and health combined. My daughter us going to school this year and finding my job stressful and it's having a negative affect on my health so it's an ideal time to take some time out and do what I've always wanted to do and become a teacher :-) you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh good luck, its sounds like it is definitely something you need to do to change your life and make you happy which is important. I'm a single.mum to an 11 year old and I'm a medical secretary, I've always been in the NHS in various positions since I was 18 (I'm 33 this year). I love my job but have always wondered how people know what career path to follow until I discovered jewellery. And that is what I'm leaving the NHS to do... hnd in jewellery and silversmithing, then I plan to do a top up degree related to jewellery and business but this depends on finances. I'm really excited about the course as I didn't expect to get a place at all. I've not got an academic background in anything arty just the jewellery I've made in my sparetime. I love making jewellery, I actually feel I've found something I can connect with. I'm hoping to work during the hols as I know the course is full on and full time so it may jot be possible to work alongside uni and family. So at the mo it's all save save save the pounds. Xx

ReputationRep:
    When I left 6th form I got a job .in an independent jewellers, it was amazing :-) I love my job but it is so stressful! I'm good at my job, sounds egotistical buts it's the only thing I know I can do and do well :-) I can't wait!

Good luck with it!! Look into access to learning funds too!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    When I left 6th form I got a job .in an independent jewellers, it was amazing :-) I love my job but it is so stressful! I'm good at my job, sounds egotistical buts it's the only thing I know I can do and do well :-) I can't wait!

Good luck with it!! Look into access to learning funds too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No not at all egotistical, having confidence in yourself is what keeps you sane. I'm good at mine too and always work hard and the NHS is a good place to work, though I agree can be stressful.

I just want to explore my 'talent' (is that being beheaded calling myself talented? ) See what I can do with it, where I can push myself and what I can achieve.

I've looked into lots of funding but hadn't considered or known about that one ... thank you will go away and look into that!

ReputationRep:
    It's through the university, you can apply if you are in financial hardship upto £3,500!! You are more likely to get it as a 'mature' (hate that word!) student as you have outgoings and probably higher commuting costs etc. you can't apply until you have registered at the uni, but definitely worth looking into :-)

Have to looked for scholarships and local funding? I've applied to about 7 local charities who aid mature students, no luck yet, but one can hope!

I think nowadays we are so worried about selling ourselves, why shouldn't we praise ourselves for what we are good at! It's strangeness I suffer with depression and anxiety, but the only thing I can always say is I'm good at my job!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's through the university, you can apply if you are in financial hardship upto £3,500!! You are more likely to get it as a 'mature' (hate that word!) student as you have outgoings and probably higher commuting costs etc. you can't apply until you have registered at the uni, but definitely worth looking into :-)

Have to looked for scholarships and local funding? I've applied to about 7 local charities who aid mature students, no luck yet, but one can hope!

I think nowadays we are so worried about selling ourselves, why shouldn't we praise ourselves for what we are good at! It's strangeness I suffer with depression and anxiety, but the only thing I can always say is I'm good at my job!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I didn't think I could apply for the scholarships until registered at the uni, which will be 2014. I've heard about the charities but not sure where I look to know who I can apply to?

You are very right and it's not something encouraged in this country to speak positively about yourself. And noone will ever think to tell you what's good about you. Something I try to encouraged with ny daughter. I suffer terribly with a lack of self belief/self esteem, getting a place on the course has given me a little boost like I think I said previously I didn't think I'd be interviewed let alone offered a place!

Well you are doing something you want and you have invaluable life experience and skills you can take with you into your new future and pass on to others :-) nobody knows why we get these things. Hopefully doing these courses and following the path you want and doing it for you will help with your anxiety and depression. Good luck xx

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you are mad at all, if you then I must be to. I am going to Uni at the age of 42 and will be 45 when I graduate. I left my secure job with a Local Authority last August to return to college to study for maths and English GSCE and an Access to HE. I was dreading it at first as I hated school but I love and I am actually feeling a little sad I have only 5 weeks left. Cant wait to go to Uni though. For the last 8 years I have wanted to do this but was too scared to make that leap and now it has come down to its now or never and I don't want to live a life of regrets and what ifs. I really feel sorry for my poor hubby though as my daughter is off to uni as well this year, so he will have 2 stressed students in the house. Good luck and ENJOY!!!

ReputationRep:
    hi there,
    I would love to go into nursing having turned 40 feeling a little scared! but have decided to go for it, only problem is childcare had a baby girl last year after a 17 year age gap! but fed up in and out of part time jobs to survive, came out of school at 15 with no grades any advice want to better myself.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.