Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Okay, so after a long hard (forced) look at myself its become pretty clear I am going nowhere fast. Despite considering myself fairly intelligent I have not applied this at all and so my education is somewhat lacklustre; having been predicted 11 A's in my GCSEs and planning to get into Uni and study software engineering, I ended up finishing school with 5 GCSEs and dropping/getting kicked out of college THREE TIMES.

I've now decided to pump up the determination and go for a degree in either business studies or accountancy, preferably business studies with a heavy approach to the accountancy.

I have pretty much two clear options:
    1) Take the next year, study 3 A levels at home while working (I live on my own) and go to uni in Sept/Oct 2014.
    2) Scrap all that, carry on working in my full time job and just start a Bsc Hons Degree with Open University in Oct 2013 (they have a Business Studies with Accountancy path course which seems ideal).

Pros and Cons I've figured out so far..

Going Uni:
    + The social experience
    + Can dedicate my time to studying while actually at a university
    + Surrounded by others focused on the same goals
    - At least a year before I even start it
    - More expensive in the long run
    - Will take some major dedication and discipline to study 3 A levels on my own in 1 year WHILE in full time work.
    - The cost of the A levels (about £450 each, already got my Maths A level so about another £900 to pay over the next year)

Open University
    + Can begin sooner
    + Can still work full time (I guess banging this on my CV will kind of open up a little more opportunity to me?)
    + Cheaper
    - Equal dedication to get it done ASAP around full time work (they recommend you take 6 years.. definately not)
    - I'm somewhat cut off from the world or anyone in a similar mindframe as this venture is entirely solo; I can imagine I'll lack motivation at times
    - Pretty much no social life

I'm pretty torn on this, as I want to get into it and go for it ASAP, however after some recent events in my life, I'm putting anything that revolves around a social experience as priority.

Can anyone offer some advice?

TL,DR? Just start a degree in business studies later this year with Open University, or study A levels for the next year and go to uni?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.