Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, Ive just started my dental nurse training, Im switching careers after 10 years in hairdressing! I am learning at work in the surgery and online at home i have an assesor comming out to see me aswell. I would just like some one to chat with to discuss what to expect in the course and just generally help each other with all aspects of the course etc, so if someone wouldnt mind getting back to me i would really appreciate it! Thanks in advance,

ReputationRep:
    Hi I qualified from my 2 year diploma in dental nursing about 2 months ago. If you have any questions or want to chat with someone who's recently been through it drop me a message x

ReputationRep:
    Hi Hannah, thanks for getting back to me! Yeah I just feel really daunted at the moment. I only started end of Jan, and Ive just seen some of the work involved and I just need some reassurance it is do-able! lol. What kind of stuff did you learn? and anything you would reccomend me doing/learning? Also, (sorry for questions) I have to vover the desk sometimes which is fine, but I had to be a training nurse and be a receptionist the other day and cash up (cashing up at this place is not normal it is like 4 books and really hard :/ ) is that ok, or normal for me to be doing? Many thanks, xx

ReputationRep:
    It is totally do-able! Sure it's hard work and many times I found it tough juggling college, work & my own life but it's like anything if you're determined and enjoy dentistry you'll succeed.

Off the top of my head we learned about cross infection, anatomy, treatments, members of the dental team, emergency drugs, medical conditions affecting the mouth, cpd, career prospects, cpr & life support.

The only thing I can think to recommend to you is to utilise those you work with. I was forever asking the dentists/hygienists I worked with questions as I set up for our next treatment and I learned so much from them which became invaluable to me, especially when it came to sitting my exam.

Sounds like you have a pretty hard time when it comes to cashing up but yeah that's normal. Most places like you to have a good idea of how to work the desk should they ever need it covering, but if you begin to spend most of your time there perhaps have a word with your manager as being a trainee you need as much time in surgery as possible.

Hope I helped! Anything else I can help with let me know xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks I guess I just have to take it as it comes, I want to get a head start and learn some things that I will be doing int he future but not sure what to learn! I have just bought myself the leviston dental nurse book, and a new laptop lol so hopefully that will get me going! Yeah the cashing up is something I detest lol but I love the dental nursing side of it.
    Im pleased you found it do-able! Thats given me abit of hope lol! I guess its just all new and daunting at first!
    Thanks so much
    x

ReputationRep:
    I can't speak for your online course as I did mine at college but we were given handouts from tutors every time we began a new subject. These were helpful as not everything is included in the Levisons that you may need to know, but then you'll have google at your fingertips when you get into that situation.

This website helped me out when I was trying to find out definitions and concise explanations of treatments. I still use it now:

http://dentistry.about.com/od/glossa...ntal_Terms.htm

When you've clicked on something you want to read about, e.g. Root canal, check out the suggested reading articles they link at the end as these are really helpful.

I can't really think of anything you can get yourself a head start with as I don't know what your curriculum will be like. You will (more likely than not) be asked to write self reflective accounts on each treatment you do from start to finish. This will consist of explaining what you set out, what happens during the treatment and why and how you assist and wipe down after the patient has left. So having a good knowledge of the treatments you're doing and why will help when it comes to these.

Anything else I can help you with? xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh thanks that website was exactly what I needed! Because I wanted to learn what the dentist is actually doing when hes doing a RCT , I know what he's doing but I just wanted to know the neames of instruments and the files etc. Im pretty good at getting by and getting on with things and picking stuff up, I think its the theory I need to learn. Thanks so much for helping me out, I was really feeling nervous before, and you've helped alot, so big thanks! I posted on a few sites and no replies, I guess people dont wanna help other trainees out lol! x

ReputationRep:
    Not a problem! Best of luck, hope you enjoy it as much as I do

ReputationRep:
    hello hannah, i am doing dental nursing and i have write reflective diary. Would you be able to help me please? I would appreciate very much. x

ReputationRep:
    Hi Irene I have sent you a message

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah_x0)
    Hi I qualified from my 2 year diploma in dental nursing about 2 months ago. If you have any questions or want to chat with someone who's recently been through it drop me a message x

Hi hannah...i would be so glad if you help.i am studying national certificate in dental nursing..i would like to know about,what certificates are given to us after completing the course?plz help me asap...

ReputationRep:
    Hey Hannah,

came across this website so thought i might as well get in touch, ~I am writing on behalf of my girlfriend as she is pretty stressed with the workload that and balancing it all with her job and uni. She is studying for her dental nurse diploma and as she is not a native english speaker and recently found to be dislexic so is struggling with the reflective accounts as it seems to take her considerably longer than others in the same course. Are there any structured pointers you can offer to help her with this as she asks me but to be honest I can help her with the studying but I really dont understand the reflective accounts as i dont work in the industry so I feel my help in this instance is not utilised. Any help you can provide would be great, maybe even if I gave you her email address or vice versa and got her to contact you - provided you didnt mind with more specific queries.

thanks alot

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.