Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Right so recently i have noticed many people talking about GCSEs and affecting their futures now dont get me wrong i know that GCSEs are important but nowadays i see people with 11 A*s panicking about them and im just wondering how much affect GCSEs actually have on your future and i mean after A levels

So to sum it up do universities value your GCSEs even if you have done really well on your A levels? Im quite a standard student (Bs and a few As and a few Cs) and im just worried that they are not good enough...

Not talking about cambridge and oxford i have given up on them already

ReputationRep:
    Just make sure you do well in English, Maths, Science and a MFL. GCSEs won't hold you back otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    What do you qualify as well? many people i know only see As as well but some see Cs so whats good?

ReputationRep:
    Very few universities will put that much emphasis on GCSEs, and too right, because they certainly wouldn't prepare anyone for further study at uni.

Only a very select few will concentrate on GCSEs, I applied to medicine this year and a number of universities do this, but there are a huge chunk that do not, and that's for one of the most competitive courses.

Doing well in your A levels is much MUCH more important.

Why have you given up on cambridge? Oxford assess candidates on percentage A* grades at GCSE but cambridge really don't care about them as long as you have the minimum requirements, which you do. If you nail your A Levels, you have as big a chance as anyone else applying to Cambridge.

Aim high and work hard, and you'll achieve much more than you first thought possible.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much

I gave up because i thought they were similar to Oxford and im hoping to study Computer Science at university so whether Cambridge would even be the best option i dont know

I will continue to work hard i was just worried that say on the day i mess up and get more Cs than i wanted it wouldn't hinder me as long as i have my 5 Cs-A*?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awilson008)
    Oxford assess candidates on percentage A* grades at GCSE.
    I see statements like that a lot, but I don't think it's true, with the possible exception of medicine. Of course, we'd rather see good GCSE grades, but bad GCSE grades aren't fatal: we look at a range of evidence when assessing applications. OP is considering Computer Science, so if he does well in the MAT, he'll get an interview; and if he does well in interviews, he'll get an offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gavinlowe)
    I see statements like that a lot, but I don't think it's true, with the possible exception of medicine. Of course, we'd rather see good GCSE grades, but bad GCSE grades aren't fatal: we look at a range of evidence when assessing applications. OP is considering Computer Science, so if he does well in the MAT, he'll get an interview; and if he does well in interviews, he'll get an offer.
    Sorry I did subconsciously refer to medicine. Woops.

Thanks for correcting me.

ReputationRep:
    They're relatively unimportant. AS and mock results are key.

For the best /coursesuniversities 16+ exams stopped being important more than 20 years ago. Back in the mists of time O levels were probably important but GCSEs deliberately set the barrier low enough to enable hundreds of thousands of people to get 'good' grades, i.e. far more than there will ever be places for on the top degree courses.

But they are important in one sense. Obviously there's a fair step up from GCSE to sixth form. If someone gets bad GCSE grades that would, to my mind, create a presumption that AS results will be worse still unless there's a big step change [of a type that's frankly very rare] in their attitude to study.

ReputationRep:
    I went to school in Scotland so did Standard Grades but I guess it works on the same principal. IME my Standard Grade results have become less important the more time that has passed since I sat them

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.