Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Will rep helpful answers!

The question I was given:

What do you think Uncle Ben contributes to the dramatic power of the play? Support your ideas with details from the play.

I'm a bit unsure of the structure of the essay, and I'm not sure about which quotes to use. I've had a look at the TSR articles (and some help from friends) for some points though. Basically, I really need quotes, and perhaps tips on how to analyse them for this particular question.

Here's what I've wrote:

I believe Ben is the primary source of drama; it seems that he is a symbol of Willy's regrets of not going to Alaska, as well as an advisor. He is the catalyst that continually spurs on Willy, and therefore contributes a lot of dramatic power.

Ben's first appearance in the play is during a conversation between Willy and Charley. Willy starts talking to an imaginary Ben and Charley is left confused, and annoyed when confusion results in accusing him of cheating. Ben's presence led to Charley saying to Willy 'You ought to be ashamed of yourself!' and indeed, Willy's actions later on in the play can be seen as shameful, such as his suicide. Ben is also a foil for Willy; he shows us Willy is mentally decaying. Willy even manages to convince Ben his idea of suicide for insurance is a 'remarkable proposition' despite disagreeing earlier.

Ben is also an indicator of the past and present. As Willy did not take an opportunity that would make him rich, we the audience have sympathy on this tragic person's suicide. Willy says 'But in Alaska, kid, I could-' which infers regret and this decision is one of the several that lead to Willy's demise. Ben's existence seems to build up several dramatic occurrences that contribute to the climax. Ben cheats in a spar with Biff 'Never fight fair with a stranger'. We see this dark and survivalist side of Ben. Will, who '[values Ben's] advice'

That's what I've done so far

As you can see, I'm not very confident with my knowledge of the play, or my Literature essay writing skills

I feel like much of what I am writing is just BS (but that's Literature for you? :ninja:)

So as I said, any help given will be repped,

bump T_T

Free rice to all the hungry actors?
What's the best type of cheese?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.