Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Showdown: University of Nottingham vs University of Warwick Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I've narrowed my choices down to Uni of Nottingham and Uni of Warwick. I'm hoping to study Psychology. I'm really struggling which uni to pick as I know they're both high ranked, both campus unis and both in the midlands. I like to go out a fair bit so want somewhere exciting, nightlife wise i've heard very good things about Nottingham and very few things about Warwick.

But when I look at uni rankings overall, Warwick is slightly higher than Notts. Also like hockey and other sports, as well as going to gigs and rock music and such. The city is just as important to me as the uni. Would love somewhere I can just decide "right i'm going out tonight" without having a half an hour or more bus journey to get there.

Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    I'm firming Warwick, insuring Nottingham.

But yeah, Warwick>Nottingham.

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

Well they are both fantastic unis to start. I go to Nottingham, so forgive the bias. So here's what I think you might like to know to help you decide:

-Both campuses are beautiful. Both have lakes/woodlands/tons of parkland greenery etc. The difference is that some of the buildings in Notts are stately homes which look rather gorgeous, where as Warwick's are all new modern. Some people prefer the retro look of stately homes, others prefer a modern looking block. So that's your call.

-Yes, Warwick is ranked higher overall. BUT, for Psychology, it's not. Nottingham is far higher (think top 10) and is still well into the teens for overall rankings. So that's the important thing.

-Gotta say Nottingham nightlife decimates Warwick substantially. It's the midlands party city. Only rival would be Birmingham. There's so many places to go in Notts. And you say you don't a long journey there? It takes 5 minutes to get from Notts campus to the clubbing district. I think Warwick's nearest city isn't even in Warwick, it's in Coventry..

-Rock scene = Nottingham. It has the biggest live music venue called 'Rock City' in the UK. Rescue rooms and stealth also insane for that. I see from your username you like Bring Me The Horizon? They regularly play them on Saturday nights in Rock City. The alternative scene in Notts is the best in this country.

-Sports? Well, i'm not making it up, but we have a 10,000 capacity arena that hosts the largest hockey event in the world - outside of the USA. It also brings massive music acts (One Direction played there this week, not like that'd make you happy, but you get the idea haha).

I don't know anything about Warwick's rock scene or sports. But i'll let you make what you want

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ohdearinsanityy)
    Hello,

Well they are both fantastic unis to start. I go to Nottingham, so forgive the bias. So here's what I think you might like to know to help you decide:

-Both campuses are beautiful. Both have lakes/woodlands/tons of parkland greenery etc. The difference is that some of the buildings in Notts are stately homes which look rather gorgeous, where as Warwick's are all new modern. Some people prefer the retro look of stately homes, others prefer a modern looking block. So that's your call.

-Yes, Warwick is ranked higher overall. BUT, for Psychology, it's not. Nottingham is far higher (think top 10) and is still well into the teens for overall rankings. So that's the important thing.

-Gotta say Nottingham nightlife decimates Warwick substantially. It's the midlands party city. Only rival would be Birmingham. There's so many places to go in Notts. And you say you don't a long journey there? It takes 5 minutes to get from Notts campus to the clubbing district. I think Warwick's nearest city isn't even in Warwick, it's in Coventry..

-Rock scene = Nottingham. It has the biggest live music venue called 'Rock City' in the UK. Rescue rooms and stealth also insane for that. I see from your username you like Bring Me The Horizon? They regularly play them on Saturday nights in Rock City. The alternative scene in Notts is the best in this country.

-Sports? Well, i'm not making it up, but we have a 10,000 capacity arena that hosts the largest hockey event in the world - outside of the USA. It also brings massive music acts (One Direction played there this week, not like that'd make you happy, but you get the idea haha).

I don't know anything about Warwick's rock scene or sports. But i'll let you make what you want
    Great post.

Whilst I'm not applying for psychology (I'm applying for Maths), TCUG seems to rank Nottingham and Warwick Psychology roughly the same. In the last two years, Warwick has had rank 10 and rank 18, that averages to rank 14. Nottingham has been rank 14 and 12, that averages to 13. I think it would be silly and very TSR-like to determine that Notts is better (or 'far-higher' in your case) than Warwick because it's one place higher.

As for location, Nottingham is certainly better for nightlife. However, I'd much rather live in Royal Leamington Spa in my 2nd/3rd year than Nottingham. I also think the Warwick campus-accommodation is much better than Notts. Although, they both have beautiful campuses!

Plus;

- Warwick has more societies than any other university in the country.
    - Warwick has one of the largest art centres in the country and the largest in the Midlands.

They're both great universities, but like I said earlier, I really do think Warwick>Nottingham.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.