Turn on thread page Beta

Do girls achieve better than boys in education? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    This was subject of intense debate amongst my peers today. I don't know what to believe.

What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    Statistics say so

ReputationRep:
    Yes, measurably so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by firmfrank)
    This was subject of intense debate amongst my peers today. I don't know what to believe.

What do you think?
    Isn't this a pointless question to ask when you know the answer? Statistics say yes - so yes.

ReputationRep:
    Nowadays, I'd be tempted to say yes on average, purely because girls tend to mature faster at younger ages, so their brains develop a little faster through the early teen years (as well as the fact that on the whole girls are more focused) and this is usually reflected in GCSE results as well as possibly AS Levels.

However, at 17/18+ stage it should make no difference whatsoever and normally depends upon each individual's principles and work ethics. However, there is also a statistic that the top minority of boys do better than the highest achieving girl, and that men actually tend to perform better than womern

Refer to this article maybe: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...-intelligent-w

ReputationRep:
    Yes, they do, though I believe after A-Levels boys slowly gain the advantage instead.

ReputationRep:
    I think girls have a more mature/serious work ethic than boys. I don't know why, I just think they do from what I've seen over the years :dontknow:

ReputationRep:

What do you think?
    Well based on usual statistics e.g. on news papers and articles, it generally shows that girls tend to overall do better than boys. However in many subjects the high achievers (like achieving an A*) are quite often mostly boys eg. in maths.

But the differences between the results of both gender are usually small, sometimes even less than 1%.

ReputationRep:
    they might do better in education, but who gets the better paying jobs? what does the top 100 richest people mainly consist of? what is our parliament mostly consisted of?

ReputationRep:
    Not really we have caught them up but I don't think spending all your time in academia is a good thing. guys like practical stuff - get out in the real world and do things

ReputationRep:
    They wish.

ReputationRep:
    I think I remember reading that girls have a better grade average. However, a minority of boys do better than the highest achieving girl?
    I may have recalled this wrongly!

ReputationRep:
    NO... because girls should study harder than boys to get marks ... girls studying all the time but boys if they decide to study they will crash girls ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'onclesoul)
    I think I remember reading that girls have a better grade average. However, a minority of boys do better than the highest achieving girl?
    I may have recalled this wrongly!
    If this is the case, then boys are smarter, just.... but girls have a stronger work ethic.

ReputationRep:
    I believe its tentative. Maybe yes in general (statistics, facts, etc.), but in many cases, it doesn't apply.
    Quite a handful of boys that I know are very bright; brighter than most girls in my previous classes. But then again, I'm in university, and that's only in Visual Communication and Design.

ReputationRep:
    Nah, I mean why do you think the majority of TSR users are guys :smartass:

ReputationRep:
    hm

ReputationRep:
    According to JQC for the June 2012 exams at AS-Level, a higher percentage of girls got As than boy in most subjects

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Statistically yes, on an individual basis not really
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper

What do you think?
    On my course (English) at my uni guys get about 10% more firsts than girls do.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.