Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys.

I'm currently taking Maths, Physics, History and computing AS level (plus general studies)

Next year if I drop History and only continue with the other 3 will this disadvantage me in university applications (specifically for engineering) . I have already done EPQ and have an A grade in that, plus a D grade in AS philosophy that is already banked. So I'm gonna end up with the same number of qualifications as someone who dropped an AS and took up another, however they will have been taken in different years.

Doing this will obviously put less stress on me and allow me to get the best grades I can for the subjects that matter for uni. However I didn't know whether university's frowned on only taking 3 A level subjects to A2.

Any help would be awesome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lbsf1)
    Hi guys.

I'm currently taking Maths, Physics, History and computing AS level (plus general studies)

Next year if I drop History and only continue with the other 3 will this disadvantage me in university applications (specifically for engineering) . I have already done EPQ and have an A grade in that, plus a D grade in AS philosophy that is already banked. So I'm gonna end up with the same number of qualifications as someone who dropped an AS and took up another, however they will have been taken in different years.

Doing this will obviously put less stress on me and allow me to get the best grades I can for the subjects that matter for uni. However I didn't know whether university's frowned on only taking 3 A level subjects to A2.

Any help would be awesome.
    That is fine, just get good grades in those 3 subjects. Sorted.

ReputationRep:
    The majority of people take only three A-levels to A2, and this is what universities make an offer based on. You won't be at any disadvantage. Don't worry about it all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dlaiden)
    The majority of people take only three A-levels to A2, and this is what universities make an offer based on. You won't be at any disadvantage. Don't worry about it all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah, thanks. I was just abit worried because my sixth form (Farnborough Sixth Form) has been going on all year about how they make us take 4 A levels in year 13 because it is beneficial. However now they have turned and said due to the number of students they are taking next year we don't "have" to take 4 next year and can drop one without having to take up a new AS.

I have my termly one to one with my tutor next week anyway so I can ask him aswell.

Thanks for your help. It makes me feel better that I can decrease my workload/concentrate on these subjects more and not have to worry about uni's thinking that I was slaking.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say three good grades is better than four okay grades, and of course university offers are never more than three A-levels.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Offers are only usually based upon 3 A2s. This is the number most people do. Some people do more (i.e. 4 or 5, although I know one friend doing 7... she's crazy though!), but most unis say that they do not consider it particularly beneficial or necessary to do more than 3. Your EPQ will 'make up' for not doing a 4th A2 for most top unis anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Relax- I only did 3 AS levels and am carrying those 3 to A2, and have 4 offers to Russel group universities

3 A2s is the norm, and 3 good A levels looks a lot better than 4 average A levels.

ReputationRep:
    Mostly only ask for 3 and majority of people drop 1 anyway, perfectly normal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lbsf1)
    -
    You are very typical doing Three A Levels. The vast majority of students take 3 subjects to A2, and a further subject to AS level. You are of course, under no obligation to drop any of your subjects next year, but I would advise dropping the one you perform poorest in. Don't worry at all!

(Original post by zeropoint)
    I'd say three good grades is better than four okay grades, and of course university offers are never more than three A-levels.
    You are incorrect in saying that offers are never for greater than 3 A levels. A friend of mine holds an offer from Cambridge, for A*A*AA, because he does four A levels, and I assume they felt they wanted to push him to achieve highly in all of them.
    However, 99% of offers are for three grades at A level, but never say never!

ReputationRep:
    nope - most university's only ask for three. it's rare you ever find one asking for four! just work like mad and get really good grades in your three chosen subjects - totally worth it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gnome :))
    Relax- I only did 3 AS levels and am carrying those 3 to A2, and have 4 offers to Russel group universities

3 A2s is the norm, and 3 good A levels looks a lot better than 4 average A levels.
    Wow what subject did you apply for at where? Also what did you do for AS? ;D

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dlaiden)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I agree.
    Most people only do 3 subjects at A2. And most unis only ask for 3 A2's and an AS.

ReputationRep:
    You'll be fine, besides I'm sure the pressure in A2 is like a billion times more so by doing 3 subjects you'll have more time to focus on them
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    In the vast majority of cases, there's no point in doing 4 A-levels.

There are a few exceptions:

- It's quite normal to do Further Maths as one of 4 A-levels (and one of 5 AS-levels) to avoid having a too narrowly focused portfolio. LSE, for example, will not normally count Further Maths towards their offers (or they might ask for an E in it, alongside the normal offer).

- If you can't decide what subject to drop, or thing that they will all be useful, and you think that it won't dilute your grades, then there is no harm in taking four.

- If you're applying to Oxbridge, some say that doing 4 can be beneficial.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jkizer)
    Wow what subject did you apply for at where? Also what did you do for AS? ;D
    Nursing, and I got into Liverpool, Kings College London, Glasgow and Edinburgh, and got invited for interview at York but I withdrew Honestly, you are more likely to be disadvantaged by taking 4 A2s; the stress levels would probably lead to getting lower grades all round.

If you want to strengthen your application, do some independent study around engineering and get some work experience

ReputationRep:
    Nope. Universities offer three A-levels grades.

A-levels aren't easy, three is more manageable than four, then you can an increase changes at triple A, AAB, ABB, etc. for the top universities.

ReputationRep:
    You won't be disadvantaged, but by only taking three you run the risk of REALLY hating one of your subjects halfway and not being able to do anything about it. I found the workload of three A2s to be the equivalent of four ASes, which is probably why my sixth form mostly used the method of getting people to pick four in the beginning and continuing on with their three strongest in the second year.

That way, if one subject's a cluster****, no biggie -- and you won't buckle under the increase in workload in the second year because there won't really be one.

ReputationRep:
    Even Oxbridge offers on 3 A2 grades. You'll be fine.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.