Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

The Duke of Edinburgh Award Thread! watch

ReputationRep:
    So, I was surprised that there isn't a D of E thread! (or at least, I couldn't find one).

I've done bronze and silver, and I'm about one week away from my Gold expedition in snowdonia. Does anyone have any advice for me? I've already been to Snowdonia for silver btw, we had about a foot of slow which made navigation challenging, so I'm hoping for better weather this year!

ReputationRep:
    I have never seen one either and I am 4 weeks from completing my bronze .. then I may start my silver in September

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by techno836)
    I have never seen one either and I am 4 weeks from completing my bronze .. then I may start my silver in September
    Woo! Where have you been expeditioning?

ReputationRep:
    Wow, good on you for doing gold! I only did silver and found it hard! So I wish you the best!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Done Bronze, Silver, & Gold Exped, Physical and Volunteering sections and will finish the rest by August! Also a Senior Young Leader etc... Not gunna lie to you, Gold exped was hell for me, but that may have had something to do with the fact there were problems within my team and one person (the person causing all the problems) got ill on the first day with chest pains! Never been so scared in my life! The only advice I can really give is make sure you keep a positive attitude because without it you will not have the determination to finish it (I almost quit when I got to the top of Pen Y Fan if it wasn't for a member of staff saying look we'll check on you in a bit, just keep going & stay positive etc.) And also, I know its common sense but, make sure your coat is waterproofed and your boots are comfy because on the 3rd day when it starts peeing it down with rain and you cannot be bothered with life anymore, you do not want all your layers soaking through like mine did! I ended up sat in a church doorway crying wanting our DofE 'mummy' (our coordinator who looks after us all!) It was horrible...added to the fact I had no skin due to blisters on my feet by the end of the first day all I can say is break your boots in properly else you will be in pain! Oooh and when walking up a mountain, remember to extend your walking poles to the correct length, else you will be the point of jokes until you leave school! :P Hope that helps, and if you hadn't guessed, DofE's my favourite thing to talk about so let us know how you get on!

ReputationRep:
    Will do. Is there an idiot proof way to check the "correct" length - it's the first time I've used poles for anything other than the north downs!

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benzeman)
    Woo! Where have you been expeditioning?
    just really local

ReputationRep:
    I just need to go out on my gold quali then I will have finished (FINALLY WOOOOOOOOOOOO!)

:}

ReputationRep:
    also...http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=506949

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am currently undertaking my silver dofe and was wondering if it was possible to 'upgrade' my account to a gold one, I understand as a direct entrant I would need to complete another 6 months of one of my electives and am willing to do that, my question is is it too late to change to gold now my silver electives (apart from the expedition) have been completed? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dashingdevil)
    Hi, I am currently undertaking my silver dofe and was wondering if it was possible to 'upgrade' my account to a gold one, I understand as a direct entrant I would need to complete another 6 months of one of my electives and am willing to do that, my question is is it too late to change to gold now my silver electives (apart from the expedition) have been completed? Thanks!
    AFAIK there aren't any DofE officials on here...

I would have thought you would have to see your leader (whoever you signed up for silver with), but I know our training group (North West Kent Battalion Boys Brigade) don't accept direct gold people, so you should check. Also, you'd have to do 6/12/18 months from the new starting date for Gold.

Out of interest, why don't you want to do silver expedition?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dashingdevil)
    I know that with my DofE group, there was a girl who attempted the silver expedition twice, however both times she fell ill. This meant that although she had finished all the other sections, she was unable to complete silver. She was able to do Gold as a direct entrant and all that was needed was for her to bring in a letter from her parents explaining that they agreed and it was able to be changed on eDofE. If you contact your centre coordinator, they will be able to inform you as to whether this is an option in your group. Its easy to do it on eDofE, so it's just a question of whether they accept direct Gold participants or not.

ReputationRep:
    Only did Bronze, was great fun.

ReputationRep:
    I have my final silver expedition in four weeks, then straight into gold, starting in September)))

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ummm...)
    I have my final silver expedition in four weeks, then straight into gold, starting in September)))

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Where are you going for silver?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benzeman)
    Where are you going for silver?

We did our practice in crickhowell in Brecon Beacons and for final, we're going to a similar area

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have had to drop out of my gold award expedition which is in a few weeks due to medical reasons my leader says as I've done all the volunteering, physical, skill etc I can complete my expedition next year.

Have any of you entered and done d of e on your own? All my friends are doing the expedition now and so if I wanted to carry on id have to either enter at my school next year with the year below, or enter with a centre elsewhere

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have any ideas for gold residential? In wales? I'm 16 and have parents that are v. Protective so it would have to be something safe and that I'd be able to do with someone I know

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ummm...)
    Anyone have any ideas for gold residential? In wales? I'm 16 and have parents that are v. Protective so it would have to be something safe and that I'd be able to do with someone I know

Posted from TSR Mobile
    From my experience I helped out at a local member of the church doing jobs like painting or building for like 3-4 weeks. Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    No the residential where you have to stay somewhere

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.