Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If I bought the handset, so I had the cheapest monthly repayments, would you think £252 is a lot? That is what 02 are offering me (with £27 p/m).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
    If I bought the handset, so I had the cheapest monthly repayments, would you think £252 is a lot? That is what 02 are offering me (with £27 p/m).
    explain this a bit better?

You pay £250 upfront? Then pay £27pm? That works out at £900 over two years.

You can get cheaper deals on contract as a new customer.

And you can get even better deals if you buy the phone outright and just go on a sim only.

Plus do you really need unlimited minutes? Ask O2 to do a better deal with less minutes.

At the end of the day it's your decision and if you're happy paying that then go for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sum Gai)
    explain this a bit better?

You pay £250 upfront? Then pay £27pm? That works out at £900 over two years.

You can get cheaper deals on contract as a new customer.

And you can get even better deals if you buy the phone outright and just go on a sim only.

Plus do you really need unlimited minutes? Ask O2 to do a better deal with less minutes.

At the end of the day it's your decision and if you're happy paying that then go for it.
    Yes, but someone I know is selling iPhone 5 for nearly £400, and if I get a sim only contract for £21 per month with 02 then it works out £650 for ONE YEAR, so the originally stated deal is better value.

ReputationRep:
    Buy the phone for £400 and get a sim from these guys. THE cheapest tarrifs on the market. - http://giffgaff.com/goodybags

No contract, you can buy them every month and it gives you great value, especially for internet.

£400 + (lets say) £(12x24)288 = £688 for two years.

Tom

ReputationRep:
    iPhone's are overpriced, and not all that special.

Get a nice Android-powered phone, they're cheaper and just as good (and better) than an iPhone.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but someone I know is selling iPhone 5 for nearly £400, and if I get a sim only contract for £21 per month with 02 then it works out £650 for ONE YEAR, so the originally stated deal is better value.
    How did you go from £27 to £21?

Can you please just answer the questions i've asked you before in other threads.

How many minutes/texts/data do you actually need? I remember you saying you're paying £32pm for 600 mins and 500mb data.
    So this £21 deal i'm presuming comes with unlimited mins/texts/1GB Data. Why not go with tesco who do 500 Min/5000 texts/500mb for £10pm.
    Like i've said many times before, Tesco are O2. There is no difference coverage wise.

Will you buy the iPhone for £400? Or do you want to buy a different phone outright/on contract?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sum Gai)
    How did you go from £27 to £21?

Can you please just answer the questions i've asked you before in other threads.

How many minutes/texts/data do you actually need? I remember you saying you're paying £32pm for 600 mins and 500mb data.
    So this £21 deal i'm presuming comes with unlimited mins/texts/1GB Data. Why not go with tesco who do 500 Min/5000 texts/500mb for £10pm.
    Like i've said many times before, Tesco are O2. There is no difference coverage wise.

Will you buy the iPhone for £400? Or do you want to buy a different phone outright/on contract?
    I would pay £27 p/m (which is the cheapest tariff on 02 according to My02) if I bought the iPhone 5 handset outright at £252. This would be either a 1 or 2 year contract - and includes 750GB of data, unlimited minutes and unlimited texts.

I could pay £21 p/m (which is the cheapest SIM ONLY tariff on My02) if I purchased the iPhone 5 from a third party, such as my mate, for £380. The sim only contract is for 12 months only - and includes 250MB of data, 300 minutes, and unlimited texts.

So which of the two is a better deal?

I wouldn't be seen dead getting phones from supermarkets. I am middle-class.

ReputationRep:

No. From the sounds of things you are a pretentious, arrogant t**t.

ReputationRep:
    As an owner of both the iPhone 5 and the Samsung Galaxy S3 I can safely say that the iPhone 5 is a massive rip-off.
    On price alone the Galaxy S3 wins. The screen is considerably larger (some people say it is too big to be convenient, I beg to differ) and as a result normal phones seem too small in comparison.

On top of that android is a more versatile OS than iOS imho.

ReputationRep:
    I would pay £27 p/m (which is the cheapest tariff on 02 according to My02) if I bought the iPhone 5 handset outright at £252. This would be either a 1 or 2 year contract - and includes 750GB of data, unlimited minutes and unlimited texts.

I could pay £21 p/m (which is the cheapest SIM ONLY tariff on My02) if I purchased the iPhone 5 from a third party, such as my mate, for £380. The sim only contract is for 12 months only - and includes 250MB of data, 300 minutes, and unlimited texts.

If you walk in to carphone warehouse today. You can get the iPhone 5 at £27pm with £99 upfront. You get unlimited minutes and texts and 1GB of data. This deal is on O2. You will not change networks or anything.

So why would you go through MY O2 when you can get a better deal by upgrading through carphone warehouse? Nothing changes. This deal costs you £750 over 2 years.

If you want to buy the iPhone 5 from your mate for £380. Then you can buy a 12 month sim only. The one that O2 has quoted you is a rip off. The reason is because you're on an old tariff and they are giving you prices from two years ago. If you go into an o2 store, or ring their customer services, they can do the exact same deal for you for £11pm. I'm not even kidding.

However, you need to work out if 300 mins and 250mb data is enough for you. As on an iPhone you will use a lot of data.

However, it seems you don't want to take advice from someone who is genuinely trying to help you. As i've told you numerous times before. Tesco use O2. it's the same network. Just because you're middle class doesn't mean you can't save yourself money every month. Look at this properly and you'll see that paying £21pm for 300 minutes is the worst idea ever. I think all your mates would laugh at you more for being ripped off by O2 than going with Tesco and saving yourself some money.

Anyway, i've tried to help you, not just in this thread but other threads as well and each time you've ignored pretty much anything i've said. So based on that and the last line of your last post this will be my final post in this thread.

ReputationRep:
    Why bother with the Iphone 5?
    To be honest, it's just a more expensive and stretched out version of an Iphone 4S.

Besides I think Iphones in general are massively overated and hyped up too much. Especially when you can get a cheaper android phone with so much better specs...

ReputationRep:
    Im planning to sell my iPhone 5 - 16GB - Black and in mint condition (no scratches or marks - never been dropped) with like 5 cases and a screen protector (2 silicon cases green and purple, a clear see through case, really thin black case and a case that has a fab ice cream on it) if your interested pm me and yehh and if they are offering you a deal like that your better off just buying the phone on pay as you go or second hand

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    so which is better iphone 5 or samsung galaxy s3 in both price an technology?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherry_heart2047)
    so which is better iphone 5 or samsung galaxy s3 in both price an technology?
    probably the S3

provided you don't mind the bigger screen of the S3, the only thing the iphone 5 has over the S3 is a marginally longer battery life (which I'm not even sure is correct)

ReputationRep:
    Get the Nexus 4, it's £279 (16GB) on the GooglePlay Store and it's just as good, if not better than the iPhone. I've had it for two months and it's a great phone, only real bad points are that the sound card is average and the lack of 4G, which means it isn't future-proof.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack93o)
    probably the S3

provided you don't mind the bigger screen of the S3, the only thing the iphone 5 has over the S3 is a marginally longer battery life (which I'm not even sure is correct)
    oh is it.
    what if a person wanted to do a swap eg iphone 5 with S3 plus £70 with the S3. do you think its worth it.

ReputationRep:

I'm middle class. I'm with Tesco mobile because it's cheap and I'm not an idiot. I'm guessing you're one of those brand obsessed people who won't buy a shirt unless it costs over 40 quid and has the name of the company that's ripping you off on the front as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheInvincibles14)
    Get the Nexus 4, it's £279 (16GB) on the GooglePlay Store and it's just as good, if not better than the iPhone. I've had it for two months and it's a great phone, only real bad points are that the sound card is average and the lack of 4G, which means it isn't future-proof.
    I think there's a hack to enable LTE in the Nexus 4.

I wanted to get one mainly because of it's amazing price. But 8gigs simply isn't enough + there's no USB OTG. I got a Nokia N9 in the end. Absolutely love meego

ReputationRep:
    I am currently on the same contract you stated, but I paid £99 for the phone (with £27 per month), you should check in with the car phone warehouse to see whether they still do this offer (this is the cheapest contract you'll find as I was told they make practically no money off it)

I'm in love with my iPhone 5 and would recommend it

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.