Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

doing a blood test tomorrow (had a proper bad experience last time) Watch

ReputationRep:
    what happened last time was i went in, they took like 4 vials of blood then on the way home i started feeling like i was going to faint. i could barely walk straight/see but soldiered the walk for like 15 mins then gave up (got so close to my house yet so far). i ended up knocking out on a park bench and some guy woke me up like 20 mins later asking if i was alright. i was looking like the crackhead of all crackheads, it was horrible

how do i ensure this doesn't happen again? i've been stalling this blood test for so long because of it. if my friends saw me in that state my life would be over

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheFlyinBallsack)
    what happened last time was i went in, they took like 4 vials of blood then on the way home i started feeling like i was going to faint. i could barely walk straight/see but soldiered the walk for like 15 mins then gave up (got so close to my house yet so far). i ended up knocking out on a park bench and some guy woke me up like 20 mins later asking if i was alright. i was looking like the crackhead of all crackheads, it was horrible

how do i ensure this doesn't happen again? i've been stalling this blood test for so long because of it. if my friends saw me in that state my life would be over
    Several things can help: unless you've been instructed otherwise, have a properly decent breakfast and plenty to drink before hand; try and relax about it - stressing about it only makes it worse; look away when they do it and think of England!; clench your calves/buttocks; stick around in the surgery for a while afterwards, and let the staff know beforehand that you can get a bit fainty.

ReputationRep:
    fear of needles didn't put me in crackhead mode, i'm not that bad with them anymore. it was only afterwards

have u ever seen prison break? in the season 1 finale after t-bag gets his wrist chopped off. the way he carried on running, stumbling all over the place looking like some heroine fiend <-- that was me.

definitely wasn't a psychological problem man

ReputationRep:
    I am terrified of blood tests, and felt faint, but didn't actually pass out after one vial was taken! I'm such a wimp!

Next time I think you need to plan ahead a little. For instance, ask someone to drive you home so that you don't get stuck alone somehwere in between. Also, you could ask for them to take the samples in two doses one day after another or something, meaning less blood loss at a time and hopefully less light-headedess.

Alternatively, although you might nto want to, hang around at the hospital/surgery for a bit afterwards and then you're in the best place if you do faint after. Make sure you've got enough time and sit and read a book or something.

I also agree with eating a decent breakfast unless they tell you otherwise, but also take with you something sweet and sugary to have after. It will give you an energy boost and replace some of the sugars you may have lost due to nerves.

ReputationRep:
    fear of needles didn't put me in crackhead mode, i'm not that bad with them anymore. it was only afterwards

have u ever seen prison break? in the season 1 finale after t-bag gets his wrist chopped off. the way he carried on running, stumbling all over the place looking like some heroine fiend <-- that was me.

4 vials of bloodloss would certainly not give you symptoms (you'd have to lose a good litre or so!), unless you're a 500g preterm baby or something

You don't have to feel nervous or scared of needles exactly, sometimes people just have a fainting type reaction to needles etc whether they go in there hard as nails or not.

ReputationRep:
    mushi u aren't hearing me clearly. i'm not afraid of needles, otherwise i would have fainted on the spot as the woman was taking my blood test - not 5-10 minutes after when it was all done and dusted. i felt like i was on crack, i was actually feeling high and this was a while after i left the clinic when all i was thinking about at the time was going back to sleep

please stop wasting my time with this ur afraid of needles u just dont realise it bull****.

and carrot i really doubt a chocolate bar or breakfast would have helped me in any way lol, thanks anyway though. i've taken blood tests before (where they have taken A LOT more blood) and just felt a bit drousy, but i was on a hospital bed. i guess i'll have to just sit down in the waiting room for a bit after like a weirdo

i'm seriously dreading the druggy walk of shame if it does happen again though. dont wanna be looking like some zombie off the walking dead, just dragging my body around central london

ReputationRep:
    mushi u aren't hearing me clearly. i'm not afraid of needles, otherwise i would have fainted on the spot as the woman was taking my blood test - not 5-10 minutes after when it was all done and dusted. i felt like i was on crack, i was actually feeling high and this was a while after i left the clinic when all i was thinking about at the time was going back to sleep

please stop wasting my time with this ur afraid of needles u just dont realise it bull****.

and carrot i really doubt a chocolate bar or breakfast would have helped me in any way lol, thanks anyway though. i've taken blood tests before (where they have taken A LOT more blood) and just felt a bit drousy, but i was on a hospital bed. i guess i'll have to just sit down in the waiting room for a bit after like a weirdo

i'm seriously dreading the druggy walk of shame if it does happen again though. dont wanna be looking like some zombie off the walking dead, just dragging my body around central london
    I'm not wasting your time, I gave you advice for how to deal with this.

As I mentioned before, you don't have to be 'afraid' just some people have a reaction like this to needles, a physical reaction based on a subconscious type thing - its well known and recognised and people often feel lightheaded and somewhat bizarre after getting up and walking off, I've seen it dozens of times. I'm telling you there's no way its related to blood-loss, unless you have a full blood volume of about 50ml, like a budgie or something. Instead, you have a total volume of greater than 5 litres. Any idea how much they remove in a sample?

Anyway, you can ask them these questions tomorrow and they'll give you very similar advice. You can ignore this and argue against it til the cows come home, doesn't bother me. But this could help, you'd be daft to ignore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mushi_master)
    I'm not wasting your time, I gave you advice for how to deal with this.

As I mentioned before, you don't have to be 'afraid' just some people have a reaction like this to needles, a physical reaction based on a subconscious type thing - its well known and recognised and people often feel lightheaded and somewhat bizarre after getting up and walking off, I've seen it dozens of times. I'm telling you there's no way its related to blood-loss, unless you have a full blood volume of about 50ml, like a budgie or something. Instead, you have a total volume of greater than 5 litres. Any idea how much they remove in a sample?

Anyway, you can ask them these questions tomorrow and they'll give you very similar advice. You can ignore this and argue against it til the cows come home, doesn't bother me. But this could help, you'd be daft to ignore.
    I can understand why the OP is getting worked up at the suggestion that it's a fear of needles; I have no fear of needles at all and I've always been absolutely fine with blood tests where I've only had to fill one or two vials, then my most recent one they couldn't get a vein, ended up being stuck four times before they finally got it into a good enough vein and took four vials of blood, I nearly fainted (ironically, the blood test showed I'm anaemic which was why I'd been feeling faint for the past few weeks anyway).

In hindsight I think it was subconsciously psychological - nothing to do with fear, because not once did I feel scared, but more the relief of "I'm glad that's over" and the surprise of "how much did they take from me", combined with "oh god i feel like my body has been drained completely of blood" So it may be psychological, but it doesn't stop it feeling very physically real.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madders94)
    I can understand why the OP is getting worked up at the suggestion that it's a fear of needles; I have no fear of needles at all and I've always been absolutely fine with blood tests where I've only had to fill one or two vials, then my most recent one they couldn't get a vein, ended up being stuck four times before they finally got it into a good enough vein and took four vials of blood, I nearly fainted (ironically, the blood test showed I'm anaemic which was why I'd been feeling faint for the past few weeks anyway).

In hindsight I think it was subconsciously psychological - nothing to do with fear, because not once did I feel scared, but more the relief of "I'm glad that's over" and the surprise of "how much did they take from me", combined with "oh god i feel like my body has been drained completely of blood" So it may be psychological, but it doesn't stop it feeling very physically real.
    I know, and not once did I make the suggestion that it was 'fear of needles', and in fact went on to explain what that response is without getting too technical or scientific about it.

Of course it's a kind of psychogenic response however, but that doesn't stop it being very real and feel very physical. You may not be at all scared of needles, rather an automatic 'flight or fight' response which is a bit wonky in some people for some unknown reason (lots of people in terms of needles and venepuncture), which you can condition and combat to some degree with the suggestions I made.

I apologise if what I said was not entirely clear, but the suggestions I made to avoid him feeling like that are certainly some useful ones.

ReputationRep:
    Don't want to get involved in the misunderstanding going on here, but two things to add:
    -- lying down will probably help, if you can.
    -- I've had this happen to me as well. However, it had not happened before and has not happened since - so it doesn't necessarily have to be something which repeats itself.

ReputationRep:

Hey, I used to get really light headed and fainty after blood tests, I never actually passed out but always felt like I was about to, felt sick and really bad. It turned out I was anaemic. Funnily enough that was discovered from the blood test. But the drain of blood made me really week. I was prescribed an iron supplement. x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amy387)
    Hey, I used to get really light headed and fainty after blood tests, I never actually passed out but always felt like I was about to, felt sick and really bad. It turned out I was anaemic. Funnily enough that was discovered from the blood test. But the drain of blood made me really week. I was prescribed an iron supplement. x
    But also, have a good breakfast and lots of water before you go. You might have been a little bit dehydrated which wont help good luck hope it goes ok. x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mushi_master)
    4 vials of bloodloss would certainly not give you symptoms (you'd have to lose a good litre or so!), unless you're a 500g preterm baby or something
    Very true.

Sorry, unrelated, but your username is amusing in German. Did you do that on purpose? :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pandabär)
    Very true.

Sorry, unrelated, but your username is amusing in German. Did you do that on purpose? :awesome:
    Not initially (I've used it in several places for many years), but that's the reason I've kept it so long

ReputationRep:

LOL at your description

But try and get a lift home or something

ReputationRep:
    take a sleeping bag with you next time

ReputationRep:

I always get like this after blood tests!
    Make sure you eat beforehand and take something sugary like a drink of coke and a choccie bar so after your test you can sit in the waiting room and eat and drink these
    Give yourself about 15 mins to make sure the sugar makes its way into your body
    If it still knocks you for six maybe you should consider getting a taxi/bus/lift home?

ReputationRep:
    Your typical 'vial' of blood holds 2.5mls ergo 4 vials is 10mls, a teaspoonful. Feeling all light headed isn't caused from the loss of blood to your system, just a stimulation of the vagus nerve.

Overstimulation of the vagus nerve during emotionally stressful situations causes a decrease in heart rate and blood pressure- hence the lightheadedness. (this is known as vasovagal syncope)

Hunger and dehydration are other causes of vasovagal syncope so eating and drinking before a blood test is probably a smart move.

ReputationRep:

Bring a can of coke with you, then drink it after. Will reduce the risk of fainting.

ReputationRep:
    Hi op! I've had countless blood tests my whole life (no thyroid gland), and unfortunately sometimes bad experiences happen, like for example when they can't find a vein and end up having to take loads more than necessary. The majority of the time it can go really smoothly though! I think my best advice would be to take someone with you that you can trust, either a close friend or relative so that if the worst comes to the worst and it does happen again you can be prepared. If that's not possible then maybe after you have had the blood test, just stick around in the hospital until you feel well enough to get on with it - that way you will be in a safe place full of professionals who will know how to deal with stuff like this, rather than having to risk the embarrassment of going out and looking like a junkie! Having something substantial to eat before the test, or taking something substantial to eat afterwards if it is a fasting test may also be a good idea. Unfortunately there might not be much way of knowing if it will happen again, so taking precautions may be the safest idea.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 19, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.