Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking for advice from any students/landlords/ANYBODY who have had experience with non HMO accomodation and applying for council tax exemption.

We know it's not allowed (but we know loads of people do it) but me and my two friends are moving into a new flat together in July 2013 that doesn't have an HMO license.

There being no HMO means that only my 2 friends' names will appear on the lease, mine will not.

How will this affect my abaility to apply for council tax exemption (as we are all full time students)?

It's been suggested that my flatmates and I should each apply for our exemption separately at different times without mentioning each other on the form?

What do you think?
    If anyone has any experience with this I would really appreciate your input 'cause this is stressing us out!

PPLLLEEEAAASSSEEE HEEEELLPPP!!!
    Thanks very much.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I think that was a bit of a silly thing to do. The landlord is acting illegally by not having a HMO and I believe, if he's found out, it could lead to you all having to find somewhere new to live as you aren't technically allowed to be living there with no HMO license.

The only thing I can think of is if you do as you said, and apply for CTE separately, but then technically you would be seen as also being in the wrong and I suspect there would be consequences if the council found out...but then Glasgow City Council don't seem to have much of a hold on what's going on in regard to flats in the city! (I've had my own issues with them)

ReputationRep:
    In my experience with council tax depts, they don't know their arse from their elbow.

I very much doubt that they will be cross checking council tax exemptions with HMO licences, but if they do then they will probably assume that two of you are a cohabiting couple, and cohabiting couples only count as one person for HMO purposes (at least, this is the case in England and Wales - Scottish law is often different, so do check).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.