Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anxiety and the comfort zone - feel I made a bad mistake Watch

Hi, I'm not quite sure what I'm expecting from this, maybe I just need to get it out, but some advice would be really appreciated.

For the past two years, I've had depression and really bad anxiety.
    I left university last year because I couldn't cope, and I really thought I was going to go mad, so I moved back home, and spent a year regrouping.

I decided to reapply to the university at home, and I am really enjoying it here. I have a mentor through the university that I meet with once a week who I can talk to about any issues I have, and who if need be, will liaise with the department for me, and it's been a massive help.

On the first day of uni, my dad walked out, which was awful. I didn't know what to do, and I went into uni that day in a sort of daze. I joined some societies, but never went to them as I felt I had to focus on just keeping myself in university, and it was really hard.

I decided that I was going to join the maths society, and go to the end of year meal they were putting on, just to try and build up my confidence, and self esteem.
    Some people on my course were going to a get together the society was having tonight, with the promise of free pizza, and they convinced me to go. I went there not expecting to say much, but it turns out they were choosing committee members for next year, and to do this they needed a president, a treasurer, and a secretary.

They had chosen the former two, no-one had volunteered for secretary, so I said I wouldn't mind.

When I was going home after this, I started having a panic attack.

I was told that the president, treasurer and secretary are the ones who organise and attend the events, which I don't think I can do.
    I don't drink, and I don't like nightclubs.

I thought it would just be emailing people about events, sorting out who's doing what and where etc. behind the scenes stuff, not center stage.

My girlfriend was so proud of me, I can't tell her how I'm feeling because I don't want to let her down, I feel bad enough that she has to put up with me as I am

I feel so crap.

ReputationRep:
    Try telling your girlfriend how you feel. Girls can be very understanding and I'm sure she'll try and help! It might disappoint her slightly but I think shed rather know that and help you with it than let you suffer!

About your Dad moving out, that's just something you'll have to get used to. It happens to so many people. Perhaps start a new thread specifically about that to talk to people who have been in a similar situation?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 19, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.