ReputationRep:
    I've been on this site for about a month now and originally saw the reputation rating that appears next to posts as a way of determining whether people are offensive/rude or kind/considerate.

However, although I have not intentionally offended anyone with my posts, and have shown my strong opinions when commenting (which is what the thread starter asks for), I have been rated 'thumbs down' by multiple people, which has caused my reputation to go down.

I am aware that people may click 'thumbs down' on offensive and rude comments, but they may also use this to show simply that they disagree.

Why should a simple disagreement lower your reputation? Shouldn't it be distinguished better between those who are opinionated but not offensive and those who are offensive?

Could the use of a 'report' button or something similar and less serious be a better way to show your disaproval for an offensive comment rather than just the 'thumbs down' rating?

I think the 'thumbs down' rating should be specific to that comment and not affect the user's reputation.

What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carrotstar)
    I've been on this site for about a month now and originally saw the reputation rating that appears next to posts as a way of determining whether people are offensive/rude or kind/considerate.

However, although I have not intentionally offended anyone with my posts, and have shown my strong opinions when commenting (which is what the thread starter asks for), I have been rated 'thumbs down' by multiple people, which has caused my reputation to go down.

I am aware that people may click 'thumbs down' on offensive and rude comments, but they may also use this to show simply that they disagree.

Why should a simple disagreement lower your reputation? Shouldn't it be distinguished better between those who are opinionated but not offensive and those who are offensive?

Could the use of a 'report' button or something similar and less serious be a better way to show your disaproval for an offensive comment rather than just the 'thumbs down' rating?

I think the 'thumbs down' rating should be specific to that comment and not affect the user's reputation.

What do you think?
    The rep system clearly isn't there to flag things that are or might be considered offensive or rude. That's what the reporting system is for. The rep system is for opinions. Obviously it's misused, it always has been I think in the sense that people give neg rep if they really disagree with something and sometimes if someone see's a post has already been given a fair amount of neg rep then they neg it as well simply to add to it. That sort of thing is harder to change.
    I think the point of rep is to neg someone if you disagree with them, that is the general premise of it I think. Some believe that you don't get to really high (or rather low) levels of neg rep unless you are troll like or just really nasty but I'm not entirely convinced by that. If there is someone who happens to have a pretty unique opinion on many things that no-one else on TSR agree's with then they are going to get a lot of neg rep.

If there was no neg rep or rather if the neg rep held no power then there would only be pos rep really. It would pretty much render the neg rep useless except perhaps for show.

The report button is there to direct the attention of the Mods towards the breaking of the rules and/or behaviour that is not good for the wellbeing of the board. It is not there for less serious reasons nor should it be made available for less reasons. The mods don't need to know every time someone disapproves of something I say. It's pointless and it's a waste of time and resources.
    The reporting system certainly shouldn't be dumbed down because people don't like the rep system. I think the two are quite separate, perhaps very separate.

ReputationRep:
    This thread has been done to death.

Rep only a post thing - no user rep at all.
    Only pos rep.
    No rep at all.
    I don't care about rep.

/thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    The rep system clearly isn't there to flag things that are or might be considered offensive or rude. That's what the reporting system is for. The rep system is for opinions. Obviously it's misused, it always has been I think in the sense that people give neg rep if they really disagree with something and sometimes if someone see's a post has already been given a fair amount of neg rep then they neg it as well simply to add to it. That sort of thing is harder to change.
    I think the point of rep is to neg someone if you disagree with them, that is the general premise of it I think. Some believe that you don't get to really high (or rather low) levels of neg rep unless you are troll like or just really nasty but I'm not entirely convinced by that. If there is someone who happens to have a pretty unique opinion on many things that no-one else on TSR agree's with then they are going to get a lot of neg rep.

If there was no neg rep or rather if the neg rep held no power then there would only be pos rep really. It would pretty much render the neg rep useless except perhaps for show.

The report button is there to direct the attention of the Mods towards the breaking of the rules and/or behaviour that is not good for the wellbeing of the board. It is not there for less serious reasons nor should it be made available for less reasons. The mods don't need to know every time someone disapproves of something I say. It's pointless and it's a waste of time and resources.
    The reporting system certainly shouldn't be dumbed down because people don't like the rep system. I think the two are quite separate, perhaps very separate.
    Okay I guess I just misunderstood the idea of rep then. In which case how many others have misunderstood it?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 19, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.