Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm arguing tomorrow that private healthcare in the UK provides a better quality of care than the NHS. Does anyone have any evidence of survival rates private vs public, patient satisfaction etc for me please. Thanks.

Note: I am NOT arguing that we should have a private healthcare system, I am a supporter of the NHS, the debate is solely around quality of care, not the morality of private vs public healthcare.

ReputationRep:
    Survival rates would be a poor way to indicate the quality of care between the private sector and the NHS in the UK as the private sector can cherry pick services that will bring i the most money with the least risk, have very little provision for critical care services and even where they do still tend to send the very sick back to the NHS for critical care there, along with emergency care which the private sector doesn't really do as it's not a money maker. Because of this the death rates in the NHS will be higher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonkatt)
    Survival rates would be a poor way to indicate the quality of care between the private sector and the NHS in the UK as the private sector can cherry pick services that will bring i the most money with the least risk, have very little provision for critical care services and even where they do still tend to send the very sick back to the NHS for critical care there, along with emergency care which the private sector doesn't really do as it's not a money maker. Because of this the death rates in the NHS will be higher.
    Yes its OK , I found a study in Australia ( couln't find one for the UK). It concluded that private hospitals provided better quality of care, however as hospitals became larger the margin between the two narrowed. The margin was very stark in hospitals classed as 'very small'. So overall private is better at producing better quality in medium and small sized hospitals, however in large hospitals the lines between the two start to become blurred.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thriftworks)
    Yes its OK , I found a study in Australia ( couln't find one for the UK). It concluded that private hospitals provided better quality of care, however as hospitals became larger the margin between the two narrowed. The margin was very stark in hospitals classed as 'very small'. So overall private is better at producing better quality in medium and small sized hospitals, however in large hospitals the lines between the two start to become blurred.
    I don't get what you're saying here.

ReputationRep:
    Well, a year ago I had a minor operation on my ear on the NHS and they ****ed it up gloriously. A few weeks ago I had the same operation privately and it went completely fine. The entire experience of going private was a million times better than public, in every way possible; I'd list ways, but it is literally every way.

ReputationRep:
    Economically private sectors have the incentive to make their services as efficient as possible as ultimately they are competing with the largest employing and recognised health sector. It also includes hiring quality workers for improved service, which unfortunately the Nhs suffers due to over demand

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jkizer)
    Economically private sectors have the incentive to make their services as efficient as possible as ultimately they are competing with the largest employing and recognised health sector. It also includes hiring quality workers for improved service, which unfortunately the Nhs suffers due to over demand

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I didn't ask for theory, I was asking for data proving the theory. Thanks anyways

I'm arguing tomorrow that private healthcare in the UK provides a better quality of care than the NHS. Does anyone have any evidence of survival rates private vs public, patient satisfaction etc for me please. Thanks.

Note: I am NOT arguing that we should have a private healthcare system, I am a supporter of the NHS, the debate is solely around quality of care, not the morality of private vs public healthcare.
    You will never find survival rates because the private sector does not have to release them and in many cases don't even collect enough data to compare mortality figures.

Same too with such things as MRSA figures.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    You will never find survival rates because the private sector does not have to release them and in many cases don't even collect enough data to compare mortality figures.

Same too with such things as MRSA figures.
    Oh ok, well I'll just have to stick with Aussie data then thanks.

ReputationRep:
    In Brazil there is a strike scheduled for the end of the month when doctors will just deny any services (aside from emergencies) for people who have a private healthcare. It's a protest to gather attention to the fact that (supposedly) they don't get paid well enough by the big companies.

Meanwhile, the ones who are left to the public healthcare (called SUS) die on a daily basis waiting in line.

ReputationRep:
    Oh ok, well I'll just have to stick with Aussie data then thanks.
    So you're going to argue that private healthcare in the UK is better than the NHS based on data from a different system in another country? Isn't that a bit pointless?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    An issue you may find is that there is a difference between theoretical public vs private, and actual public vs private.

A poorly funded public health-care system will naturally fare less than a well organized private system. So the difficulty runs with trying to establish fair data, as well a determination of what qualifies as fair.

And also the discussion of a purely private model, or the public healthcare using private groups.

As far as public healthcare goes, the NHS is high up there with very high patient satisfaction rates, though they have declined recently.

According to a study, the private sector is generally better than the public sector, except for with timeliness.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0619225835.htm

Here is a study (also in Australia) comparing satisfaction between public and private sector. The private sector was found to be more satisfactory in terms of post-operation information

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15498059

And in Turkey

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10036649

And another one in Nigeria, which also mentions recommendations to improve public facilities.

http://www.jnsp.org/index.php/jnsp/a...download/37/34

Also, this might be of use to you.

http://web.warwick.ac.uk/res2003/papers/Brekke.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonkatt)
    So you're going to argue that private healthcare in the UK is better than the NHS based on data from a different system in another country? Isn't that a bit pointless?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It wasn't specifically UK, I just would of preffered UK figures. Wasn't clear, sorry.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.