The Student Room Group

What to do after year 13.

So I applied to UCAS after my AS-Levels, having moved onto A2s. I had some psychological issues during AS, and I achieved BDE in the subjects I carried on to A2 as a result. My predicted grade was an optimistic ABB, given my 'potential', and I applied to Universities based on those. Southampton, Leicester and Kent are the ones I received offers from, and none are universities I particularly wish to attend.

During A2 I resat a great many of my AS Levels. My grades at AS are now ABC, and I am predicted to achieve A*AB overall by the end of things.

My question is this: if I postpone going to University for another year, and apply with A-Level grades of perhaps AAB, will any better Universities (I was thinking UCL and Bristol, potentially) give me an offer, despite my previous failures? Or is there any way (I know this is probably unlikely) to apply to better universities this year?

I wish to study English, incidentally.
Reply 1
Original post by Roger Mexico
So I applied to UCAS after my AS-Levels, having moved onto A2s. I had some psychological issues during AS, and I achieved BDE in the subjects I carried on to A2 as a result. My predicted grade was an optimistic ABB, given my 'potential', and I applied to Universities based on those. Southampton, Leicester and Kent are the ones I received offers from, and none are universities I particularly wish to attend.

During A2 I resat a great many of my AS Levels. My grades at AS are now ABC, and I am predicted to achieve A*AB overall by the end of things.

My question is this: if I postpone going to University for another year, and apply with A-Level grades of perhaps AAB, will any better Universities (I was thinking UCL and Bristol, potentially) give me an offer, despite my previous failures? Or is there any way (I know this is probably unlikely) to apply to better universities this year?

I wish to study English, incidentally.

If your grades are better than your offers you could try Adjustment on results day
Remember you dont have to go to University.

Many people who are still 'successful' dont have degrees - and many people who have degrees cant find a job. It isnt a guarantee of lifelong happiness or wondrous riches.

If you arent totally sure this is what you want to do right now, then dont go. Every Oct/Nov, TSR is littered with messages from people saying 'I'm soooooo miserable at Uni' and often its because they just followed the crowd and didnt think out what 'being at Uni' was really going to mean for them.

Many people leave school, go off and do amazingly interesting things, have a happy life, and only think about 'going to Uni' much later in their lives. There is nothig 'wrong' with this - education is a lifelong experience.

Take a look at www.notgoingtouni.com or http://www.apprenticeships.org.uk/
There are heaps of other things that are just as good as going to Uni - and btw they dont have to be what you do for ever. It doesnt mean you wont ever go to Uni, just not yet.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending