Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I love science, particularly maths and physics, and want to study medicine to make a difference to the lives of other people but I have no interest in biology...is medicine suitable for me? (I study physics, chemistry, maths and further maths)

ReputationRep:
    The question is, is human biology of interest to you? Because if it isn't, then medicine is probably not your cup of tea.

ReputationRep:
    Why not medical physics?

ReputationRep:
    The theory side of medicine is a lot of biochemistry and physiology. Whether you do it as a solid chunk or spread out over an integrated course, this will take up about 2-3 years of the medicine course. You'll then need to continue to understand and use this knowledge throughout your medical practice. Knowing this, it's probably not for you.

That said, there are different reasons people don't like biology. I didn't enjoy the ecology aspects of A level biology, or the lack of rigour relative to other sciences; however this is a lot less of a problem now, where there's no ecology/plants and the biochemical and cell-biology experiments are quite rigorous.

ReputationRep:
    You will have ruled out a lot of unis by not taking biology and tehyw ill ask you why you didn't take it an interview. If you don't find it interesting I think you'll find it very hard to learn the content of medical school without going mad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Science Lover)
    I love science, particularly maths and physics, and want to study medicine to make a difference to the lives of other people but I have no interest in biology...is medicine suitable for me? (I study physics, chemistry, maths and further maths)
    Maybe not medicine. But you can help people in lots of ways!!

Doctors apply medicines and prescribe medication. With pharmacy and chemistry you could design the next cure or antibiotics.

Doctors use lots of equipment, with Electronic/Mechanical Engineering or Medical Physics you can focus on designing this and make the next generation of medical imaging equipment?

The possibilities are there: if you are just going for the money then be warned doctors earn a fair amount later in their career, but it is an awful lot of work. With pharmaceuticals you can develop a drug (medicine) then sell it to everyone in the world, it is well known to have 800% profit margins, I am not condoning it merely stating fact.

To do Medicine it would be advisable or practical to take biology anyway, as 90% of Medicine is human biology and the rest organic chemistry.

Do what you think is right!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Science Lover)
    I know a few medics who do medicine and they told me that there's parts to medicine they love and parts they hate.

They love: helping people.
    They hate: High works hours and on emergency call.

The thing is with Medicine is that it has it's goods and bad's, its a tough profession albeit with a lot of rewards.

A solid academic record, a good work ethic, fairly competent social skills and a little empathy is what makes a good doctor I believe.

Biology is amazing by the way. Love it! Because I say so :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FranticMind)
    Maybe not medicine. But you can help people in lots of ways!!

Doctors apply medicines and prescribe medication. With pharmacy and chemistry you could design the next cure or antibiotics.

Doctors use lots of equipment, with Electronic/Mechanical Engineering or Medical Physics you can focus on designing this and make the next generation of medical imaging equipment?

The possibilities are there: if you are just going for the money then be warned doctors earn a fair amount later in their career, but it is an awful lot of work. With pharmaceuticals you can develop a drug (medicine) then sell it to everyone in the world, it is well known to have 800% profit margins, I am not condoning it merely stating fact.

To do Medicine it would be advisable or practical to take biology anyway, as 90% of Medicine is human biology and the rest organic chemistry.

Do what you think is right!
    I totally agree with FranticMind. Don't be deceived by Doctor's salary-there's a price to pay for it. Medicine is not only predominantly biology, you also need a good mind for facts. Choose carefully, explore other careers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    The notion that the only career that helps people is medicine is plainly false. Like, why are people even limiting their suggestions to medical physics? If you make any significant discovery in physics or chemistry or computing or anything this will have knock-on effects that benefit everyone.

I suggest you think about what it is about medicine you actually like beyond 'helping people' before you commit to a lifetime of it!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks very much for all the advice everyone! You've certainly made me think more carefully about it...I'm going to try and get some volunteering work at the local hospital and see how enjoyable I find it!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 21, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.