Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've got a choice of 3 vet school unconditional offers and can't pick between Nottingham and Liverpool! Any bright ideas to help me out? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Firstly well done on getting the offers! its an important decision so take your time about it, you will have a deadline to respond to the offers by so dont worry!
    Have you been to open days/ visit days? If not go to them, if you have, or when you have compile a list sort of like pros and cons of each.
    Look at the course structure for each and see which is best suited to you.
    Look at the location and see which you prefer/is more convenient.
    Check which offer incentives to go to them, e.g. any extra bursaries/funding/scholarships.
    Look at the accommodation for both (if you are moving to the area) and see which have the best for the best prices.
    Check out the uni statistics for each on websites like unistats.
    See what the learning styles are e.g. lectures, group seminars, small group sessions etc, which may be best suited to your learning styles.
    On open days you get the chance to talk to current students so ask any questions you have about uni life.
    Check out the social/club side of uni life for both and see which appeals more to you.
    If you have placements while on the course, compare the two unis.

Generally think about everything you will be doing while at university and see which you prefer.
    You should be able to contact the uni directly to get anymore information you need.
    Hope this helps
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Hi,

I can tell you a bit about Liverpool as a vet student here.

Course
    In terms of the course, I think they are changing it from you and moving away from a traditional style to a more integrated approach like Nottingham, but I am not entirely sure if it will come into place in 2013 or 2014 (perhaps email admissions to ask about this). If it is the old system then you will learn by body systems and it will be split into pre-clinical (1-3years in Liverpool) and clinical years (4-5 at Leahurst). We don't have a 9-5 day like other unis. We are normally in for 10-15hrs which includes practical classes, but you are expected to self study in your free periods. I can't imagine being in lectures 9-5 each day personally, as I like to learn in my own style and although lectures are useful, I find it more helpful to make posters etc. during my free time to supplement this. We are split into small practical classes for dissections (or around 4-5) and other group work (up to 10 people).

However, we have a new clinical skills lab where you can learn to bandage, suture, listen to heart sounds, etc. You can either self-teach yourself this or ask an older year to run through things with you who has been trained to teach you that skill. It's great that it is flexible so you can pop in whenever you like and focus on what you need most practise in. You can also start clinical placements from first year, unlike in the past, and this is encouraged by the vet school.

The City
    In Notts you are living a bit more in the sticks for your course - I was surprised to find Notts is closer to Loughborough than Nottingham itself!

Anyway, onto Liverpool city, there is soooo much to do here and even. Plenty of places to go out at night, super cheap taxis to get home, a massive shopping centre right at your doorstep, museums & galleries, close to other places like the beach / woodland areas / pretty parks, a major train junction (useful for getting home). Living here is reasonably priced. In a small shared house I pay £300 pcm and this includes all bills. I really do enjoy living here!

The Vet School Itself
    We have a great student body with loads of events organised throughout the year, take a look here: http://luvs.org.uk/ Vets even have their own crazy freshers week!

In terms of student welfare, you will be assigned to an older year buddy to look after you and as port of call for any questions about the vet school. We also have trained peer supporters who can give you confidential support if you are feeling stressed or have other problems.

There's been a lot of money spent in the last year so facilities are all up to date (circa £20million split between the two campuses I think).

If you want to know more about Liverpool, do give me a shout.

ReputationRep:
    That was a really useful post

I really want to go to Liverpool. Hope I can get enough work experience!!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for the Liverpool advice - I am worried about the social side of things at Nottingham; I already live in the sticks and fancy a change to the city. I do like both unis though - it's so hard to choose! I feel that I'd have a better social mix of people at Liverpool as you're on the main campus, but then again Nottingham has more experience of the course structure that Liverpool is going to start this year. Hmm. :confused:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by xRosiex.)
    Thank you so much for the Liverpool advice - I am worried about the social side of things at Nottingham; I already live in the sticks and fancy a change to the city. I do like both unis though - it's so hard to choose! I feel that I'd have a better social mix of people at Liverpool as you're on the main campus, but then again Nottingham has more experience of the course structure that Liverpool is going to start this year. Hmm. :confused:
    I think the member AngryCucumber studies at Notts so might give you an insight into the social side of things?

To be honest, at Liverpool they are constantly refining the course and improving modules so things do vary year on year and generally the improvements have been a success as they are listening to some of the student feedback etc. Changing the course structure to a more Notts based style is a good step in the right direction, but I agree that Notts has thus far paved the way for such a curriculum in vet science. Nonetheless, both unis are known to produce very good vets and there are lots of things to think about! At the end of the day, you will love whichever uni you go to!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SilverstarDJ)
    I think the member AngryCucumber studies at Notts so might give you an insight into the social side of things?

To be honest, at Liverpool they are constantly refining the course and improving modules so things do vary year on year and generally the improvements have been a success as they are listening to some of the student feedback etc. Changing the course structure to a more Notts based style is a good step in the right direction, but I agree that Notts has thus far paved the way for such a curriculum in vet science. Nonetheless, both unis are known to produce very good vets and there are lots of things to think about! At the end of the day, you will love whichever uni you go to!
    I suppose a good question to ask would be: any Liverpool students, if you had been offered a place at Nottingham would you have jumped for it? And vice-versa.

I suppose I kind of feel pushed to take up my Nottingham offer as they have always been the revolutionary vet school with all the modern changes they gave to the vet course... all proved by the way that the other unis are adapting to make their courses more like Nottingham's! Is this the best reason to pick Nottingham over any other uni, though? Hmm.

Thanks again for the advice.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I suppose a good question to ask would be: any Liverpool students, if you had been offered a place at Nottingham would you have jumped for it? And vice-versa.
    That question is really hard to answer, to be honest, because none of us have experienced the life style, the city, the course of any other university. A lot of it is down to assumptions and gut feelings.

I was swayed by Notts to apply as I enjoyed seeing the animals and the practical side on their open day - however, now that I am Liverpool I would not choose to go to Notts or anywhere else. I suspect most people end up loving where ever they go to for a lot of different reasons. But now that the structure looks like its going to be similar (and I don't know exact details) it is more down to what city (I prefer to live in Liv then SB) and what facilities you prefer (e.g. Liv has its own farms and hospitals all in close proximity to Leahurst with brilliant reputations and doesn't outsource like Notts, and has also recently pumped a lot of money into new buildings/refurbs).

On another note, Nottingham's new course structure was new to vet science, but certainly not new to some medical schools who have been doing the same thing for years. Some med schools are more traditional, and others have moved to mixing clinical & preclinical together and/or onto a PBL structure. I suspect vet science will diverge in a similar fashions with some sticking with a traditional structure, and others to a more modern one. That does not mean that one is better than the other necessarily (although one may work better for you) - both Notts & Liverpool produce excellent veterinary surgeons - so both types of teaching must work well in the end. The main reason why Liv is switching to a more modern one is because students tend to forget their anatomy in early years when this is very important for clinical years so are thinking if they show the relevance people will be less likely to forget. I assume it also makes it more interesting and less dry for students, so would say it's got to be a good thing.
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer

I suppose I kind of feel pushed to take up my Nottingham offer as they have always been the revolutionary vet school with all the modern changes they gave to the vet course... all proved by the way that the other unis are adapting to make their courses more like Nottingham's! Is this the best reason to pick Nottingham over any other uni, though? Hmm.

Thanks again for the advice.
    Not biased, but if I had been offered a firm place offer at nottingham, Iwould have gone for it.

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I have been a student at both universities! I did Animal Sci at Nottingham (SB) and my vet degree at Liverpool. Although I didn't attend the vet school at Notts (plans had just been passed to have one as I was leaving) I preferred Notts to Liverpool as an institution. I felt it was much more organised and an environment far more geared to learning and I believe their slightly different approach is superior than more traditional courses.

Last week I was teaching some surgery to the interns at work, one of which was a Notts grad. She was much more practical and knowledgeable than I was as a new grad and she had taken a seven month gap between graduating and starting work. I have to say that I was very impressed.

I think the best thing to do is to have a good think as to what is right for you and where you feel most comfortable. You will have to spend a long time there and it would be pretty miserable and drawn out five years if you didn't like the place.

Hope this helps x

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.