Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi folks:

I've got to tell you something really important.

I know that my Spanish University offers the possibility to study at a certain University in England some Masters that cost around £9000 a year and if you are chosen you don't have to pay anything for the enrolment at least.

My University and the English one have this agreement since a long time ago and every year we send 15 students there. It cannot be a exchange agreement because at that certain University you can only do postgraduate studies and they don't send us anybody.

Maybe in the past when the tuition fees at English Universities were much lower it did make sense that our people didn't have to pay anything but nowadays it's nothing but unfair that these people don't have to pay anything while the English or any other EU-Residents have to pay £8000-£10000 a year to be accepted at this particular University.

I'm against the increase of the University tuition fees anywhere in the world but if they have been raised up I think that that should apply for everybody.

I'm not going to give any further details about myself because I want to save my identity but as a last comment I'll say that in the study places from US-Universities people from my uni. have to pay the whole tuition fee which is about $25.000.

Why do you think that our people still don't have to pay any tuition fees? I'm sure that the Spanish government isn't paying for it and I don't see anything this English University could be getting in return for doing this.

Do you think they might have forgotten to change the prices for these "special cases"? The thing is that it's not a simple Erasmus. They study a whole master, which as I have told before costs about £9000 a year for English and Eu-Residents and if they pass it they get the final certificate as any other regular student.

What do you think I could do in order to change this unfair reality? Do you think I should write to a English newspaper in order to tell the British people what's actually happening or something like that?

Well if you want to write about anything it should be asking them why international students pay upwards of £20,000 a year at top universities. Its around £35,000 a year for medicine. Having paying so much when everyone else (British and the EU) pay so less makes you wonder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HRH2)
    Well if you want to write about anything it should be asking them why international students pay upwards of £20,000 a year at top universities. Its around £35,000 a year for medicine. Having paying so much when everyone else (British and the EU) pay so less makes you wonder.
    There is a law in the EU that says that universities must have the same price for nationals as for EU-Residents.

If you wanted to study in Germany as an English person you could do it for free in some German states because they don't have any tuition fees. So in this way I think that it's not so unfair that EU residents have to pay less because you could also benefit from it. If you went to a foreign country outside the EU I don't think you would have to pay the same as their nationals. It would be possibly much more.

Nevertheless and regarding to this topic I agree with the idea that maybe it would be much better for the English not to offer the same prices for EU residents as for English because you offer a top education and it should benefit only the English people. However and due to this EU regulation to benefit only the English people you'd have to leave the EU and I don't know if that would be better for you or not.

At least I'm sure that you have done right maintaining the British Pound instead of adopting to the Euro.

But well let's leave the politics to one side and stick to the main topic which is that these Spaniards shouldn't get these study places for free while others have to pay a lot of money!

(Original post by Aitor_Ocio)
    There is a law in the EU that says that universities must have the same price for nationals as for EU-Residents.

If you wanted to study in Germany as an English person you could do it for free in some German states because they don't have any tuition fees. So in this way I think that it's not so unfair that EU residents have to pay less because you could also benefit from it. If you went to a foreign country outside the EU I don't think you would have to pay the same as their nationals. It would be possibly much more.

Nevertheless and regarding to this topic I agree with the idea that maybe it would be much better for the English not to offer the same prices for EU residents as for English because you offer a top education and it should benefit only the English people. However and due to this EU regulation to benefit only the English people you'd have to leave the EU and I don't know if that would be better for you or not.

At least I'm sure that you have done right maintaining the British Pound instead of adopting to the Euro.

But well let's leave the politics to one side and stick to the main topic which is that these Spaniards shouldn't get these study places for free while others have to pay a lot of money!
    Maybe the university in Spain you're talking about has some reciprocal arrangements with the other university in the UK. For instance, here we have lots of study abroad programs, etc. which are free (well not totally but you pay your uni fees and not the higher fees in America, etc.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aitor_Ocio)
    Hi folks:

I've got to tell you something really important.

I know that my Spanish University offers the possibility to study at a certain University in England some Masters that cost around £9000 a year and if you are chosen you don't have to pay anything for the enrolment at least.

My University and the English one have this agreement since a long time ago and every year we send 15 students there. It cannot be a exchange agreement because at that certain University you can only do postgraduate studies and they don't send us anybody.

Maybe in the past when the tuition fees at English Universities were much lower it did make sense that our people didn't have to pay anything but nowadays it's nothing but unfair that these people don't have to pay anything while the English or any other EU-Residents have to pay £8000-£10000 a year to be accepted at this particular University.

I'm against the increase of the University tuition fees anywhere in the world but if they have been raised up I think that that should apply for everybody.

I'm not going to give any further details about myself because I want to save my identity but as a last comment I'll say that in the study places from US-Universities people from my uni. have to pay the whole tuition fee which is about $25.000.

Why do you think that our people still don't have to pay any tuition fees? I'm sure that the Spanish government isn't paying for it and I don't see anything this English University could be getting in return for doing this.

Do you think they might have forgotten to change the prices for these "special cases"? The thing is that it's not a simple Erasmus. They study a whole master, which as I have told before costs about £9000 a year for English and Eu-Residents and if they pass it they get the final certificate as any other regular student.

What do you think I could do in order to change this unfair reality? Do you think I should write to a English newspaper in order to tell the British people what's actually happening or something like that?
    Some British universities offer scholarships and bursaries which are aimed at people of specific nationalities - both inside and outside the EU. It doesn't surprise me that a British university might offer such funding to a student from a specific EU university. They're not obliged to operate a reciprocal arrangment. Maybe they have a rich Spanish benefactor or an organisation which is covering the fees. For example, the Santander Scholarship scheme offers funding for students from Spanish-speaking countries who attend selected UK universities.

Unless you understand exactly how the scheme is funded, I wouldn't bother writing to a newspaper. As the unfairness works in your favour, why not just take up such a valuable opportunity and be grateful?

ReputationRep:
    I suggest you get a life

ReputationRep:
    Unbelievable! When you need Britons to dislike Southern Europeans you don't find any :confused:

Good bye people....

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.