Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So this is pretty basic tbh...
    I recently joined the gym
    Was just wondering if anyone has advice on what specific things I should do, and how long for?
    Whats the average amount of time you spend at the gym? And how often do you go?
    I am aiming to go 3 times a week.
    I want to generally just tone up, not interested in getting muscles (I'm female) and I would really prefer it if my boobs would not get smaller due to the fitness (as they aren't that big at the moment). I mainly want to focus on my thighs, bum and tummy Thanks

ReputationRep:
    1. 3 times a week is about right. Dont go everyday because you need to give your body a day to repair the muscles being broken as you work out. So for example, go on monday, skip tuesday. Go wednesday, skip thursday and so on. On average, people spend approximately one hour on a various amount of machines, and give themselves a 10 minute break within that time. If you are for example doing medicine ball workouts, you might find yourself staying longer to around 1 hour 30 minutes. Only because you won't be getting as tired as fast as if you were to be working out on a machine.

2. Toning your arms, legs, torso, back etc is all about losing the body fat around those areas. The common way to see this improvement would be to do cardio. Cardio basically means get your heart rate up, so this could include swimming, running on the tredmill, cycling (in or out the gym), rowing, cross country machines etc. People sometimes do the H.I.I.T workout. This basically means that you put every single bit of effort in as you can for about 10 minutes. Then 30 second break, then another 10 minutes, then 30 second break, then 10 minutes again. Rather than working out for the hour, if you follow this method, you will see a better improvement in half the time in the gym. (30 minutes - 10 minutes per intensive workout) An example of an intensive workout would be to be on the treadmill at a very high, but safe and comfortable speed for 10 minutes. Then rest for 30 seconds and go again. Repeat 3 times.

3. As you lose the body fat which is what you're looking for, you will notice muslces coming through - even if it's something you're not aiming for. If you're working on your torso or abs section for example, you will notice the muscles behind this more easily after a while. In terms of the machines which you will want, I'd say for the thighs and bum section, cycling, running. Tummy - running/jogging.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.