Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I, once again, have "Student Finance Rage".

I'm currently in my second year of a BA in English, and have recently began applying for the funding for my 3rd year. In 2008 I completed a year at Sunderland University, dropping out because of many reasons, all of which are very personal.

When applying for my final year of funding, I was met by a request to provide evidence of "compelling personal reasons" for not completing my degree.

The SFE website says this:

"The general principle is that eligible students can have tuition fee support and means tested grants for the standard length of their HE course plus an additional year if needed."

By my reckoning, 3+1=4? I've used a year, which leaves me with 3... So what's their problem?

It was not raised as an issue when I first applied for finance, I have enough years of funding available, and I'm currently not understanding what they want from me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SNichol)
    I, once again, have "Student Finance Rage".

I'm currently in my second year of a BA in English, and have recently began applying for the funding for my 3rd year. In 2008 I completed a year at Sunderland University, dropping out because of many reasons, all of which are very personal.

When applying for my final year of funding, I was met by a request to provide evidence of "compelling personal reasons" for not completing my degree.

The SFE website says this:

"The general principle is that eligible students can have tuition fee support and means tested grants for the standard length of their HE course plus an additional year if needed."

By my reckoning, 3+1=4? I've used a year, which leaves me with 3... So what's their problem?

It was not raised as an issue when I first applied for finance, I have enough years of funding available, and I'm currently not understanding what they want from me?
    Definitely phone them up to make sure, but I believe this is just a problem with the system.

Basically it sees 'You're on a 3 year degree', sees 'you've had three years of funding', sees 'you have not graduated yet' and deduces you dropped out now. Even though all the stuff you said in your OP applies. They should sort it out when it's actually looked at by a person.

I had the same thing when I applied for my PGCE. It kept asking me for these 'compelling personal reasons' because I hadn't finished my undergrad. But I phoned them and they said to ignore it and it would all go through fine and it did.

xxx

ReputationRep:
    Every single year I have had to send them a letter explaining why I dropped out of university before completed the first year 10 years ago! Wouldn't have bothered me if it wasn't for the fact that my first course was nhs funded so I never had dealings with sfe. So glad I don't have that hassle anymore!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    Definitely phone them up to make sure, but I believe this is just a problem with the system.

Basically it sees 'You're on a 3 year degree', sees 'you've had three years of funding', sees 'you have not graduated yet' and deduces you dropped out now. Even though all the stuff you said in your OP applies. They should sort it out when it's actually looked at by a person.

I had the same thing when I applied for my PGCE. It kept asking me for these 'compelling personal reasons' because I hadn't finished my undergrad. But I phoned them and they said to ignore it and it would all go through fine and it did.

xxx
    Thank you! I've been hovering between confused/concerned/enraged about this all night.

It would have been a complete nightmare to have gotten this far only to have to drop out or find loads of cash!

I'm applying for SCITT next year, I can only imagine the problems I'm going to have then!

Thanks very much for your help.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.