ReputationRep:
    People out there, would you rather have a low positive reputation or a strongly negative one, and why
    Be interested to see what people say
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I see where you're coming from - imsoacademic (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/member.php?u=191215) gets instant attention with that red lightsaber next to his username.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Polymath)
    I see where you're coming from - imsoacademic (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/member.php?u=191215) gets instant attention with that red lightsaber next to his username.
    I thought she was a girl?

ReputationRep:
    I'll always be Luke, never Vader :awesome:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by PoGo HoPz)
    I'll always be Luke, never Vader :awesome:
    Personally I prefer Obi-Wan. Blue rep gem! :gah:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Jacob :))
    (s)he may well be actually, I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacob :))
    We'll never know :erm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoitsro)
    People out there, would you rather have a low positive reputation or a strongly negative one, and why
    Be interested to see what people say
    I personally wouldn't care since I don't really care about rep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    hah
    a your picture just sums up your comment

ReputationRep:
    Rep should be gotten rid of, or at least change the rep system and remove anonymous negs, and I'm not saying that because I have low rep either.

All the rep system does is prevent people from posting their real opinions for fear of being negged and ruins potential discussion, internet forums do not work when you take away a person's freedom to speak their mind (which is exactly what happens with rep). It encourages bandwagon negging as well.

The current rep system is classic TSR logic, i.e. it makes no sense. Like that time that little message was stickied onto each forum instead of sending a mass PM about our accounts and emails being hacked, yet we get 3 mass PM's in the space of 2 minutes to vote in some pointless forum award.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tuerin)
    It would be great if TSR had a requirement for a comment to be added to neg rep which would be posted in a kind of signature to the original post (expandable and depressable); i.e. neg rep couldn't be given without writing something in this comment. Those users who negged without a good explanation (including, hopefully, unelaborated disagreement) would surely themselves be negged on their inadequate comment by the good folk of TSR, who would have a good reason. That might improve the quality of discussion, as neggers would be forced to explain themselves before doing so and people would be less afraid of expressing their true opinions.
    It would just get abused in my opinion, people would use it to 'anonymously' abuse other posters by typing a load of nonsense instead of a constructive comment. Also how would the rest of TSR see the neg message that's been left on a user's account?

To be honest I'm fine with removing the 'thumbs up/down' that's visible on posts and removing the anonymity of rep. At least that way people would have to actually read the post in the majority of cases and not just scroll a thread, see someone has already been negged 20 times then neg again for the sake of it.

But in my opinion the only fair way is to remove rep. Posters will come out of their shells and post their real opinions and rep whores will stop begging for rep.

Edit - I see you deleted your post, ah well.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Abolish the rep system.

It just encourages people to dish out unnecessary rep, if someone already has like 100 thumbs down for their comment.

It reminds me of ISA -700(and counting) thumbs down comment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    It would just get abused in my opinion, people would use it to 'anonymously' abuse other posters by typing a load of nonsense instead of a constructive comment. Also how would the rest of TSR see the neg message that's been left on a user's account?

To be honest I'm fine with removing the 'thumbs up/down' that's visible on posts and removing the anonymity of rep. At least that way people would have to actually read the post in the majority of cases and not just scroll a thread, see someone has already been negged 20 times then neg again for the sake of it.

But in my opinion the only fair way is to remove rep. Posters will come out of their shells and post their real opinions and rep whores will stop begging for rep.

Edit - I see you deleted your post, ah well.
    Deleted it because of the potential infinity of negging that would occur on the neg comments.

But I don't see that it would get abused in the way you're suggesting - the whole point was that having to explain one's neg would remove the anonymity and other TSR users would ensure that unreasonable negs were punished. Other users would see the neg message by clicking a signature-like symbol on the post indicating that it had been negged, as I said.

I don't think rep is totally useless and can help identify trolls in ambiguous circumstances; it also gives a (somewhat pathetic, but still) reward for constructiveness/helpfulness/entertaining...ness? The system I suggested might have been viable were it not that potentially neg-comments could themselves be negged, and their responses negged, and so on... until users were out of rep. Then again, hopefully other TSR users would have more neg to flame abusers like this than the abusers would have to abuse people. Soon enough they'd be on red gems and have no rep power, removing any effectual abuse. :beard:

ReputationRep:
    Rep should be gotten rid of, or at least change the rep system and remove anonymous negs, and I'm not saying that because I have low rep either.

All the rep system does is prevent people from posting their real opinions for fear of being negged and ruins potential discussion, internet forums do not work when you take away a person's freedom to speak their mind (which is exactly what happens with rep). It encourages bandwagon negging as well.

The current rep system is classic TSR logic, i.e. it makes no sense. Like that time that little message was stickied onto each forum instead of sending a mass PM about our accounts and emails being hacked, yet we get 3 mass PM's in the space of 2 minutes to vote in some pointless forum award.
    :rofl:

Yeah, I agree with you here. This might finally stop you from continuously negging people for no actual reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    It's always the people with tons of rep who say that for some reason?

ReputationRep:
    :rofl:

Yeah, I agree with you here. This might finally stop you from continuously negging people for no actual reason.
    Arsed.

It's not for no reason, the first time was for posting something cringe worthy to a girl (I know this doesn't really narrow it down) but I forget what it was, every neg since then is purely because I find it funny you actually take the time to go through people's posts and revenge neg. I admit I neg subscribers for no reason because it winds them up and I enjoy the PM's.

You actually write on people's pages if they've negged you. You care.

ReputationRep:
    Arsed.

It's not for no reason, the first time was for posting something cringe worthy to a girl (I know this doesn't really narrow it down) but I forget what it was, every neg since then is purely because I find it funny you actually take the time to go through people's posts and revenge neg. I admit I neg subscribers for no reason because it winds them up and I enjoy the PM's.

You actually write on people's pages if they've negged you. You care.
    Yeah, you're right, it doesn't really narrow it down. Therefore, I personally wouldn't vouch for you in terms of credibility. It's blatantly obvious that the only reason you neg me constantly is because of a pathetic little grudge you seem to have against me (which I don't even know the reason for, tbh). Why else would you do it? I don't exactly make a habit of speaking to you. :dontknow:

And, tbh, the only reason I write on user's profiles is because I'm genuinely interested to know the reason why I was negged. I honestly couldn't care less about the neg itself.

So you're right when you say the rep system needs to go. It might actually prevent any ill-feelings between users from occurring around the site, which certainly seems to be happening here.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, you're right, it doesn't really narrow it down. Therefore, I personally wouldn't vouch for you in terms of credibility. It's blatantly obvious that the only reason you neg me constantly is because of a pathetic little grudge you seem to have against me (which I don't even know the reason for, tbh). Why else would you do it? I don't exactly make a habit of speaking to you. :dontknow:
    If you didn't bother to ask me what the neg was for I doubt I'd have negged you again as other than that you generally seem alright, I don't have a 'grudge' with you lol. But the actual reason for the first one was because I'd seen a few of your posts which I found a bit sad. That's what rep is for is it not? If you don't like a post, it's there to be negged.

you're right
    Cheers :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michaelj)
    It's always the people with tons of rep who say that for some reason?
    Well it's true. The reason I have a lot of rep is because I've been on this site for about 8 years give or take. Don't you think that over those 8 years more than a few people might have repped me because they agreed with me or just liked what I had to say? Just because I have a certain amount of rep it doesn't mean I care about it. Frankly I'm indifferent about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoitsro)
    hah
    a your picture just sums up your comment
    :confused: Are you talking about the picture in my sig?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.