Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was looking through one of the worked examples and I'm really confused:

The thermal decomposition of Zinc carbonate, ZnCO3, is represented by
    ZnCO3(s) => ZnO(s) + CO2(g) ΔH= +71 KJ mol-1
    ΔS= 0.176 KJ K-1 mol-1

When ΔG = 0 (<= why is G taken as 0, for a reaction to be spontaneous doesn't this value have to be negative?)

ΔH -TΔS = 0

T = ΔH/ ΔS = 71/ 0.176 = 403K
    403 - 271 = 130oC
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by tazmaniac97)
    I was looking through one of the worked examples and I'm really confused:

The thermal decomposition of Zinc carbonate, ZnCO3, is represented by
    ZnCO3(s) => ZnO(s) + CO2(g) ΔH= +71 KJ mol-1
    ΔS= 0.176 KJ K-1 mol-1

When ΔG = 0 (<= why is G taken as 0, for a reaction to be spontaneous doesn't this value have to be negative?)

ΔH -TΔS = 0

T = ΔH/ ΔS = 71/ 0.176 = 403K
    403 - 271 = 130oC
    When ΔG = 0 this is the 'tipping point' between spontaneity and non-spontaneity. i.e. the reaction can happen on one side of this temperature, but cannot on the other side.

At ΔG = 0 the system is in dynamic equilibrium with both forward and reverse processes equally likely.
    The example shows you the temperature that must be attained before the compound can decompose ...

ReputationRep:
    For the reaction to be theoretically feasible ΔG must either equal 0 or be negative. So usually questions will ask what is the lowest temperature for the reaction to be feasible? That is when you make ΔG=0

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paulpaulpauln)
    For the reaction to be theoretically feasible ΔG must either equal 0 or be negative. So usually questions will ask what is the lowest temperature for the reaction to be feasible? That is when you make ΔG=0

(Original post by charco)
    When ΔG = 0 this is the 'tipping point' between spontaneity and non-spontaneity. i.e. the reaction can happen on one side of this temperature, but cannot on the other side.

At ΔG = 0 the system is in dynamic equilibrium with both forward and reverse processes equally likely.
    The example shows you the temperature that must be attained before the compound can decompose ...
    Oh in the book it just says that G must be less than 0, I'll have to add that to my notes. Thanks
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by paulpaulpauln)
    Why did you neg my post above and then post virtually the same thing?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.