Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    is it illegal to drive with interior lights on at night time? i know its not advised as its difficult to see the road but could you actually get points for it? my dad said you'd get 3 points but i've looked it up and most things are saying it's not :hmmmm2:

ReputationRep:
    it is because illuminated interior might affect you road vision and is probably the reason satnavs have a night and day screen.

ReputationRep:
    I've done it a few times by accident and never been pulled for it. I imagine its legal because on Top Gear they have big torch pointed on the presenters when they're filming in the cars.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camoxide)
    I've done it a few times by accident and never been pulled for it. I imagine its legal because on Top Gear they have big torch pointed on the presenters when they're filming in the cars.

No. they don't

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tintinmac)
    it is because illuminated interior might affect you road vision and is probably the reason satnavs have a night and day screen.
    i know why its hazardous, im wondering whether its illegal or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deedee123)
    i know why its hazardous, im wondering whether its illegal or not.
    Like i said 'it is' illegal

ReputationRep:
    i see what you mean, this shows the power of a comma :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forever 21)
    No. they don't
    They do else the interior cameras wouldn't have enough light to work with.

Name:  Screen Shot 2013-04-18 at 23.53.21.png
Views: 224
Size:  74.2 KBName:  Screen Shot 2013-04-18 at 23.53.21.png
Views: 224
Size:  74.2 KB

ReputationRep:
    Are you absolutely sure about that? Do you have a source?

I am pretty sure it is not illegal - you can buy cars with ambiant lighting specifically for use at night, surely they wouldn't sell you something against the law?

I think so long as it doesn't dazzle other road users or the driver it is fine.

Have a sift through this lot:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1.../contents/made

ReputationRep:
    How so? Why do you think pretty much all cars made in the 90's have map lights? Specifically a light next to the interior light with its beam focused into the passenger side of the car so the passenger can read maps at night. It leaves the driver's side almost completely dark.

ReputationRep:
    DWDCaT is likely to be the result so anything up to 6 points and a fine

ReputationRep:
    Few things on the road are specifically illegal like - for example - phone use is, otherwise you'd have a billion different laws.

There's several vague laws which could be used to issue tickets, and it'd be a court to decide whether or not it's actually illegal

ReputationRep:
    As far as im aware, its not illegal. I could be wrong though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deedee123)
    is it illegal to drive with interior lights on at night time?
    It is not illegal, but any interior light must not obscure your view of the road ahead.

Map reading lights are designed for the purpose and generally deliver a focussed beam. Don't let the scaremongers on here worry you unduly

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.