The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Sexist gym with women only hours

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TSA
Would it be equally non-discriminatory to want to work out in an environment with no whites or no blacks?

Do you think there should be separate toilets for blacks and whites? Or course not.

This is just ridiculous. Men and women will never be completely equal, it just isn't practical. It's an emotional thing - don't ask me why, I can't give you the science behind it just my perspective. Men aren't going to wear sanitary towels once a month to remove inequality, are they?

Look I'm all for a good debate on an issue, but I'm not looking for an argument or to cause offence so let me know now if you are taking this issue personally or just want to debate the topic
Original post by joker12345
Perfectly reasonable, there's no need for gender segregation in modern society.

Even in the changing rooms :sexface:
Reply 62
i agree with him
Original post by heirloom
I was wondering if any of you have seen this article posted on the daily mail
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2311098/Peter-Lloyd-Why-Im-suing-gym-sexist-women-hours.html
and what are your thoughts

The way I see it its fine, but there should be no backlash against societies having male only hours either, otherwise this is shameless double standards.
Original post by QuantumOverlord
The way I see it its fine, but there should be no backlash against societies having male only hours either, otherwise this is shameless double standards.

I completely agree with you.

I think what is making people assume my opinion is sexist is that I don't think male only hours should be granted if there is not a demand for them.
Original post by Abbie :)
Do you think there should be separate toilets for blacks and whites? Or course not.

This is just ridiculous. Men and women will never be completely equal, it just isn't practical. It's an emotional thing - don't ask me why, I can't give you the science behind it just my perspective. Men aren't going to wear sanitary towels once a month to remove inequality, are they?

Look I'm all for a good debate on an issue, but I'm not looking for an argument or to cause offence so let me know now if you are taking this issue personally or just want to debate the topic

Different toilets is not the same thing as having women only hours in the gym, unless of course you expose yourself whilst working out.

What is not practical is having women only hours at the gym. Your justification is pretty poor it's an emotional thing that you can't explain? If I was to say I didn't want to work out with black people because it's an emotional thing that I can't explain would that be okay? What has sanitary towels got to do with anything?

I'm not taking it personally, I just think it's ridiculous to have women only hours.

Is it because they feel intimidated? Is it because they feel they are being looked at because those things can easily be experienced in a women only environment.
Original post by TSA
Different toilets is not the same thing as having women only hours in the gym, unless of course you expose yourself whilst working out.

What is not practical is having women only hours at the gym. Your justification is pretty poor it's an emotional thing that you can't explain? If I was to say I didn't want to work out with black people because it's an emotional thing that I can't explain would that be okay? What has sanitary towels got to do with anything?

I'm not taking it personally, I just think it's ridiculous to have women only hours.

Is it because they feel intimidated? Is it because they feel they are being looked at because those things can easily be experienced in a women only environment.

I'm not good with explaining emotions, it's never been a strong point and I'm only asking if you are taking it personally as I sometimes don't realise when I'm touching a nerve.

Women don't expose themselves to each other in the toilets, there are cubicles. Generally women feel more comfortable in a woman's presence.

If someone feels uncomfortable in the presence of someone of a different ethnicity then that's a totally different issue as that's physical, women and men are different 'on the inside'

The towels thing was just me saying that equality isn't practical over every single aspect of life, nor is it necessary. I don't understand men's thinking so I don't know of they just don't care about sharing a gym or whatever.

I don't feel intimidated by men, I just feel more comfortable and relaxed working out with only women in the room
I completely agree with you.

I think what is making people assume my opinion is sexist is that I don't think male only hours should be granted if there is not a demand for them.

That's reasonable, I'm against affirmative action of any sort which is why I try to stand between the somewhat idealistic feminist and MRM groups that manage to find sexism in literally everything. However, I can see the point that the gym membership should be cheaper if there is a chunk of time that is inaccessible to the males.
I'm not good with explaining emotions, it's never been a strong point and I'm only asking if you are taking it personally as I sometimes don't realise when I'm touching a nerve.

Women don't expose themselves to each other in the toilets, there are cubicles. Generally women feel more comfortable in a woman's presence.

If someone feels uncomfortable in the presence of someone of a different ethnicity then that's a totally different issue as that's physical, women and men are different 'on the inside'

The towels thing was just me saying that equality isn't practical over every single aspect of life, nor is it necessary. I don't understand men's thinking so I don't know of they just don't care about sharing a gym or whatever.

I don't feel intimidated by men, I just feel more comfortable and relaxed working out with only women in the room

In all honesty I don't think there's anything wrong with mixed sex toilets. It works at home and I've seen it work in first year halls where every one is a stranger.

Why is that physical but when talking about gender it's on the inside?

My point is there is a possibility of everyone feeling uncomfortable regardless of gender, if you're a very underweight male you're going to feel uncomfortable walking into the weight room for the first time occupied by large males grunting that doesn't mean there should be specific hours for different weighted individuals. Unless you are being actually abused in which case you have to take it up with the gym and police.
IMHO this is clearly unlawful.
Original post by therisenmitten
Some guys use the gym to attempt to chat up women, but more often they make fun of women that want to use the weights. I think some guys assume that girls just don't take the gym seriously enough and are just hogging equipment for no reason.

I can understand that some girls just want to do their workout without guys criticizing them on their technique/workout every minute in an attempt to sound clever.
Women only hours isn't an ideal system though.

You do realise that men critique other men too? As do women to other women? And women look at men in gyms?

I have encountered more negativity towards me as a overweight male than I have seen towards the women in gyms if anything the ones muttering or staring at me with evil eyes were the women more often than not! I remember being in the uni gym and the staff are the ones doing sports degrees and the person on duty was a woman and her female friends came in and I could hear them say "look at the state of him, hes fooling nobody, I bet he will get a pizza when he leaves here" etc

At the time I was 2 stone overweight due to hormone problems and eating more junk food around exam time.

Another time I spent about 30 minutes on a treadmill and was breathing heavily and sweating and was getting evil eyed by this girl across from me as if I should not be in there.

What is the point of going to the gym if I have to be toned and fit to go?
Why are women such special snowflakes who need the gym to themselves all of a sudden? Go do a zumba class if you want to work out away from "prying eyes" of men.

My gym actually tried to introduce this... One hour a week. I don't think anyone went because they scrapped it.
Original post by tnetennba
The entire point is that many women can NOT enter the main section of the gym due to sexual harassment. They NEED a different place to exercise. Clearly so many women have had this problem that the gyms have picked up on it in order to create female zones.

And I don't know if you've ever been to a gym with such a feature, but just so you know, the female zone is always FAR smaller than the general area. Therefore no men ever need to use the female section anyway. If the general zone is full, the female zone will be PACKED

When I have also seen women flirt with men in gyms(or in bars, or in public) showing off their figures I find it quite annoying that men get blamed for any harrassment when a lot of times its women encouraging it to happen, and before that gets taken out of context I am not saying women bring it on themselves as such just as I am saying men are not automatically perverts that want to have sex with every woman to see.

I am a nervous MALE, I like to exercise in a corner by myself as feel like someone will tell me I am doing it wrong, or have people stare at me as I am self concious.

I remember one time going to a gym and signing up for the weight loss class and when I got there finding out I was the only male and it was a mix of older women and younger girls who looked like they spent their life in the gym and the older women in particular were flirting with me joking about me "getting sweaty with them" or to "have a workout with them" so much so I left and was basically treated like a piece of meat.

Why was that allowed since they were women?

Most of the times anything that gives woman an advantage is seen as "so what" by females since its seen as any issues women have about men are automatically justified yet any for men towards women have are argued.
Original post by TSA
In all honesty I don't think there's anything wrong with mixed sex toilets. It works at home and I've seen it work in first year halls where every one is a stranger.

Why is that physical but when talking about gender it's on the inside?

My point is there is a possibility of everyone feeling uncomfortable regardless of gender, if you're a very underweight male you're going to feel uncomfortable walking into the weight room for the first time occupied by large males grunting that doesn't mean there should be specific hours for different weighted individuals. Unless you are being actually abused in which case you have to take it up with the gym and police.

IMO race doesn't really effect anything other than some slight different physical features and skin pigment.

Gender, although you will likely argue this untrue, effects the way you think. I'm not generalising, but a lot of women are more sensitive than men - perhaps due to social conditioning.

Look, if you really want me to I'll go into depth about why I think women feel the need to have separate space, and why even some men might want that too.

However, more basically, if there is a demand for single sex hours and encourages people to go to the gym when they might otherwise not want to then why not? Regardless of their individual reasons that will probably differ from mine, if it gives them confidence to go to the gym and ultimately improve and maintain their health then it's positive.
Original post by QuantumOverlord
That's reasonable, I'm against affirmative action of any sort which is why I try to stand between the somewhat idealistic feminist and MRM groups that manage to find sexism in literally everything. However, I can see the point that the gym membership should be cheaper if there is a chunk of time that is inaccessible to the males.

Yeah, I guess it's probably in the contract that the amount they are paying reflects that there are certain restrictions on what time you can go.

What does MRM stand for?
Reply 75
During the busiest time of the day, it's rare to see even two girls in the weights area at my gym; however, you see loads of girls using the cardio machines in incredibly skimpy outfits. I'd imagine it's the same at most gyms, so I don't see the logic behind closing the gym for 98% of people because a tiny minority has insecurity issues.
Original post by Gherk
During the busiest time of the day, it's rare to see even two girls in the weights area at my gym; however, you see loads of girls using the cardio machines in incredibly skimpy outfits. I'd imagine it's the same at most gyms, so I don't see the logic behind closing the gym for 98% of people because a tiny minority has insecurity issues.

I wouldn't see logic in that either but a lot of girls are wanting female only hours. You're probably right about it having something to do with insecurity though.

When the gym I used to go to opened up women only hours, it was different women there from the unisex hours, and generally these women were much more focused than the ones typically in skimpy outfits - but I've seen what you are talking about
Original post by heirloom
I was wondering if any of you have seen this article posted on the daily mail
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2311098/Peter-Lloyd-Why-Im-suing-gym-sexist-women-hours.html
and what are your thoughts

Offensive comments and remarks to female should be dealt with by gym members.

but then girls coming in leggings showing their asses is gonna draw some looks.

So maybe women need to either accept the looks , or complain more about remarks made to them.
Reply 78
Not sure I agree with absolutely everything he says and I do see the gym's point about women using gyms and its the behaviour of a minority of men in gyms which may have led to this sort of thing happening. However, I can't see how anyone would disagree with his 3 points which do seem completely reasonable to me, if they're going to do a women's hour, fine, but to do that and offer neither a men's alternative, nor a reduction in price for men even though they're receiving less of a service is unfair and I wouldn't be too upset if I hear he does win the legal case, cause he is right, the gym has acted poorly here.
Original post by tnetennba
Completely agree with this. I used to be a member of Virgin Active. Every time I ventured into the weights zone I received heaps of unsolicited advice and was always asked incredulously why I wanted "to get bulky" (always by men) when all I wanted was to be left in peace to exercise. It made me feel very intimidated and I ended up confined to the women-only zone which didn't have the free-weights & barbells I wanted to use - just a few treadmills, crosstrainers, weight machines and exercise balls. Tbh I don't think the men in the weights section meant to do anything other than flirt or show off but it got unbearably irritating after the first week.
The best solution is to have the women's section of the gym, but with the same equipment as the men's.

Idiots at the gym give unsolicited advice to everyone at the gym, not just women, trust me.

Latest

Trending

Trending