Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    OK, I have a question which I hope somebody can answer. Ive noticed that, not only with my offers, but my mates as well that:

Universitys that we have applied to have given us offers higher than both our AS grades and our predicted grades...what exactly does this mean?

I dont quite understand the logic of this, as from the Universitys end, it seems as if the student hasnt, and is not expected to meet the offer they are setting. Does this mean that if you dont meet their offer, but meet your predicted grades, that they will still accept you?

ReputationRep:
    It depends, I think that they do that to see if they can motivate you to work really damned hard in order to get to that place. Like to see how much you want it. If you're in a position where it's your only chance to better your life then they will go mad trying to make the grade.

As for the whole will they, won't they thing. When you get your results, if they aren't quite what they wanted you call them up and ask them. Just by doing that my friend who was offered a CCC and got a DDE ended up still getting into her first choice University (and to think she's doing a form of medicine...*shakes head*)

It's really down to University disgression (also how many people they made offers that rejected them!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    OK, I have a question which I hope somebody can answer. Ive noticed that, not only with my offers, but my mates as well that:

Universitys that we have applied to have given us offers higher than both our AS grades and our predicted grades...what exactly does this mean?

I dont quite understand the logic of this, as from the Universitys end, it seems as if the student hasnt, and is not expected to meet the offer they are setting. Does this mean that if you dont meet their offer, but meet your predicted grades, that they will still accept you?
    They're not obliged to accept you if you don't meet their offer, whether or not they still will depends on them. If your predicted grades don't meet the standard offer, then you're probably quite lucky to get an offer. I hope I understood the question right...

Out of interest, what are your predicted grades, and what kind of offers are you getting?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danithestudent)
    It depends, I think that they do that to see if they can motivate you to work really damned hard in order to get to that place. Like to see how much you want it. If you're in a position where it's your only chance to better your life then they will go mad trying to make the grade.

As for the whole will they, won't they thing. When you get your results, if they aren't quite what they wanted you call them up and ask them. Just by doing that my friend who was offered a CCC and got a DDE ended up still getting into her first choice University (and to think she's doing a form of medicine...*shakes head*)

It's really down to University disgression (also how many people they made offers that rejected them!)
    discretion*

Payback.

ReputationRep:

Yes some universites are complete and utter b*stards, when it comes to offers. What course, uni, and predicted grades?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frances)
    They're not obliged to accept you if you don't meet their offer, whether or not they still will depends on them. If your predicted grades don't meet the standard offer, then you're probably quite lucky to get an offer. I hope I understood the question right...

Out of interest, what are your predicted grades, and what kind of offers are you getting?
    This isnt really amazingly relevant to me..but anyway. I got BBD at AS, and my predicted grades were ABC at the time of applying. After retakes and what not my teachers have made my predicted grades AAB, but that doesnt really matter now...I got 4 BBC offers 1 BCC offer and 1 BBB offer...

But one of my mates who applied to do english for example, got BCD at AS level, and his predicted grades were the same for A2, yet he has offers of BBB from some Universitys...bearing in mind english is a competitive subject..

ReputationRep:
    I just dont see the point in this. There is surely enough people applying WITH the correct predicted/AS grades, that they dont need to make people who are significantly under the standard offer, offers..if you havent got a hope in hell of reaching their offer(as in the case of a few of my mates) why make them the offer? They must be willing to still accept them even if they dont get the grades...

ReputationRep:
    I just dont see the point in this. There is surely enough people applying WITH the correct predicted/AS grades, that they dont need to make people who are significantly under the standard offer, offers..if you havent got a hope in hell of reaching their offer(as in the case of a few of my mates) why make them the offer? They must be willing to still accept them even if they dont get the grades...
    Hmmm... maybe they liked their personal statement and thought hat they'd give them a chance to make the offer? Maybe it was a slow year? Eh, I don't know how the mind of an admissions tutor must work... although I'd like to.

ReputationRep:
    The thing is to some courses, like English, everybody picks every single reputable English course they can find and sticks them on their UCAS form. So that they'll get acceptances and then they will reject 5 of them or 4 of them....If you go onto UCAS.com and look up the courses and see if they are on extra already that will let you know if they have places to spare or not!

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm... maybe they liked their personal statement and thought hat they'd give them a chance to make the offer? Maybe it was a slow year? Eh, I don't know how the mind of an admissions tutor must work... although I'd like to.
    I read their personal statements, and believe me, it was nothing to call home about..one of my mates even had spelling/grammar mistakes in his, and he applied for english...

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about you guys but all the places I was interviewed they were really quite shocked that I had appalling grades yet had this A List work experience...I really think that's what clinched every single offer I got.

ReputationRep:
    I read their personal statements, and believe me, it was nothing to call home about..one of my mates even had spelling/grammar mistakes in his, and he applied for english...
    I missed out an "in" and had some Über long sentences. Though, my careers officer said it was probably the most grammatically correct with impeccable spelling (shut up Bhaal!) that she'd seen. So I was pleased

ReputationRep:
    If courses are available on UCAS extra what does this mean, that alot of people have rejected that course in favour of a different University?

ReputationRep:
    If courses are available on UCAS extra what does this mean, that alot of people have rejected that course in favour of a different University?
    Yah hit the nail on the head there love!

ReputationRep:
    It just means that they have places spare for whatever reason. Doesn't UCAS Extra start before the final deadline for replies to be in anyway?

ReputationRep:
    Yeh it does..

Ok, if thats true about UCAS extra, then why is it almost every single Physics course is available on UCAS extra right now? With the exception of durham/oxford/st andrews ?

ReputationRep:
    It just means that they have places spare for whatever reason. Doesn't UCAS Extra start before the final deadline for replies to be in anyway?
    Yeah I looked up some of my courses. From what I saw a few days ago every single course I'm rejecting has places on Extra except LCC....interesting...it's probably different now

ReputationRep:
    Yeh it does..

Ok, if thats true about UCAS extra, then why is it almost every single Physics course is available on UCAS extra right now? With the exception of durham/oxford/st andrews ?
    Hmm, I don't think physics is a very popular subject, so it mustn't have had a lot of applicants this year.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh it does..

Because nobody wants to do physics, it is a lot like maths.

ReputationRep:
    Also, how many offers do the University give out for a given course. Say if there is 90 places...

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.