Turn on thread page Beta

Gap year question? watch

    • Thread Starter

    If I were to take a gap year, would I apply for deferred entry? How does that work? Or just apply again as I would normally do but a year later? But then surely, I'd be alone in this, whereas I'd otherwise have teachers and advisers in school to help with my personal statement, give me general guidance, letting me know when deadlines are? I'm confused about how this works.
    Also, my reasoning for maybe taking a gap year isn't for travelling or anything, It's because I'll have only just turned 18 in Sept 2014 and don't feel I'd be ready
    Thank you

    I'm on a gap year at the moment. You can apply for deferred entry now if you want and get it all done and out the way so you won't need to worry about doing this next year. It works the same way as applying for this year but you will start next year. Another plus side of doing it now is that you will get the help of your school/college tutor. Student Finance and UCAS can be tricky at times and the application process can be quite lengthy. The downside is that if you change your mind it's a bit of a tricky thing to get out of. A year is a long time and a lot of things can happen to change your mind; maybe you won't even want to go to uni by that time. If you change your mind and want to reapply to a different course/uni or not go then you will need to call the University which you hold an offer with and ask them to release you which they actually don't have to do. I applied independently and it works exactly the same way as if you apply while still at school/college. You will need to contact your old tutor to get a UCAS reference. Doing it all on your own is a bit tricky. Writing your personal statement is the hardest part but there are plently of resources online to help you with every part of your application including all the deadlines. You can always do what I did and go back to your old school/college to pay your old tutor a visit and get some help with UCAS and Student Finance. Best of luck
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.