It was alright (32)
32.99%
I did crap! (24)
24.74%
Cicero
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by mj1988)
how ca n the mean be 1.70 if the probability of getting atleast 1.78 is 20% and the probability of getting 1.65 is 70% therfore mean has to be lower than 1.65
Simple: the probability of clearing (i.e. the area to the right of) 1.78m is 20% and the probability of clearing (again, the area to the right of) 1.65m is 70%. Therefore, the mean needs to be between the two, so that the probaility of clearing it is 50%.
hotfreezer
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Cicero)
Simple: the probability of clearing (i.e. the area to the right of) 1.78m is 20% and the probability of clearing (again, the area to the right of) 1.65m is 70%. Therefore, the mean needs to be between the two, so that the probaility of clearing it is 50%.

Yep :p:
Cicero
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by hotfreezer)
Yep :p:
Did you get ~1.700 then? Also, when they ask for 3dp, is 1.700 or 1.7 correct? Or are they both?
sherunsaway
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yay I got 1.700 metres for that high jumper one as well.
I was lucky because I looked at an example in the textbook which was almost identical to that where you had to set up silmultaneous equations and stuff.

To me it seemed like a very kind S1 paper, as was the C1, but don't get me started on the C2.
meltedthor
Report 12 years ago
Does anyone know if there is any ecf in the Edexcel S1? Coz for Q.3a I accidentially used the sum of x square and square it instead of using the sum of x and square it for Sxx...and so the answers below were all wrong (but i noe my steps are right...) I found it out at the very last minute and I couldn't do anything...>.< btw, can anyone remember the total mark for Q.3?
ma3eeni
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by meltedthor)
Does anyone know if there is any ecf in the Edexcel S1? Coz for Q.3a I accidentially used the sum of x square and square it instead of using the sum of x and square it for Sxx...and so the answers below were all wrong (but i noe my steps are right...) I found it out at the very last minute and I couldn't do anything...>.< btw, can anyone remember the total mark for Q.3?
yeah i guess .. am sure of it .. dont worry
Big Mad Tony
Report 12 years ago
ECF is pretty common in a lot pf maths papers. You'll be fine.

The maths on this one was alright. It was just the "explain what a box plot shows" or whatever which screwed me over the most.
dominicbrown93
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Qu 3 as a whole was 18 marks, thats all i know
xlouisedoll
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I did the OCR paper and really really struggled, did anyone else find it hard?! I'll no doubt be retaking in January..I was relying on S1 to make up for the fact that I know I'll get a U on C2.
Swinely
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Anujkhamar)
i programmed my calc to remember most answers

A: 0.143
B:wriiten answer
C:Written answer
D:Written answer
E: 0.933
F: 0.841
G: 0.774
H: 0.159
I: Written answer
J: y=292.9-3.5x
K: -6.5
L: 213
M: 500.3 - 510.1
N:
O:Written answer
P: 0.01
Q:0.206
R:0.966
S: 0.572

From This question onwards i ran out of space in the calc.

This may seem confusing to you, but the letters correspond to the question order

Some of these sound familiar which is good .
Interestingly the very last part of the last question said explain what they mean in context, i didn't read this and just worked them out, think i'll get the marks??

Also J ) y=292.9-3.5x

The calculator says it in the form of y =ax + b, we were always told to do y = bx + a >>>> which i did, and then realised it couldn't be right so redid it the first way, but this totally confused me??
*sazzy*
Report 12 years ago
Well thank god that went ok *hopes*....

i reaallly need this to bring my grade up as C2 was so crappy....but anyhoo, am just majorly happy that now there's no more maths!!!! wooo! :p:

hope everyone else's went well! xxxxxxxxx
GordonP
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I cant remember at all, mine clashed with D1, so all I can remember is that the D1 exam was nice....
hotfreezer
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Cicero)
Did you get ~1.700 then? Also, when they ask for 3dp, is 1.700 or 1.7 correct? Or are they both?
yeah i got 1.700, 1.7 isnt correct coz its could have been anything from 1.65 - 1.75
neel89
Report 12 years ago
s1 was aite mesed up question numba 2
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (284)
37.67%
No - but I will (53)
7.03%
No - I don't want to (55)
7.29%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (362)
48.01%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise