Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does anyone else feel so different to other teenagers? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've been thinking, am I the only one who is so different to other teenagers, as it seems all of lot of teenagers do, is go drinking, have sex, bunk off school and watch tv. Whilst me, I read, study hard, have loads of good interests, am not anti social, be nice to people, don't drink, watch doctor who instead of the only way is essex, go for bike rides, watch pretty sunsets, do meaningful things basically (etc) and i'm sure , you get the picture now ?

Is there anyone else like that out there or am I the only one?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you are literally the only one.

Obviously you're not- plenty of teenagers are like you, and also probably have that same special snowflake mentality. Shockingly, not every teenager in the world is a binge drinking stereotype, although there is nothing wrong with people choosing to enjoy drinking and TOWIE over "meaningful" things, as you put it. Plenty of people also freely enjoy both sides of the spectrum.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You just described about half of TSR, I'm sure they will be over shortly to tell you about what special snowflakes they are.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, you are the only one. You were born 50 years too late I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    I think I have interests that are different to the conventional, or maybe stereotypical teenager such as Law, Politics, History .. but that aside, I'm your standard teen.

ReputationRep:
    Of course you're not.

The only way to make yourself feel as if you "belong" is to place yourself in the environment of mutual interest. It's difficult, especially when you're confined to school, but once you're formally 18, it really is up to you to try and meet like minded people

ReputationRep:
    I'm not trying to say I'm better than anyone. It's just I see the world differently to everyone else, think of 'the doctor' in Doctor Who, how he stands out, how lives his life, I'm in a way similar, I live life like how he would if he was real and human, which is why I'm different, as implore people to not go down the route of 9-5 job, to see more out there, more to see, more to do, how everyone could be so much more!

ReputationRep:
    Watching pretty sunsets is meaningful? You are acting like everyone else are a bunch of retards, get your head out of your arse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by username_copied)
    I've been thinking, am I the only one who is so different to other teenagers, as it seems all of lot of teenagers do, is go drinking, have sex, bunk off school and watch tv. Whilst me, I read, study hard, have loads of good interests, am not anti social, be nice to people, don't drink, watch doctor who instead of the only way is essex, go for bike rides, watch pretty sunsets, do meaningful things basically (etc) and i'm sure , you get the picture now ?

This is extremely stereotypical and false. Everything you suggested you don't do and what you do, is everything I do (besides not drinking) Of course you're different to every teenager, just like everybody else. No two teenagers are the same. You shouldn't worry about it! I'm a massive fan of Doctor Who and I also watch Towie (cringe) what does this make me...

ReputationRep:
    Well done. You're obviously much more sophisticated and mature than the rest of us and it must be terribly hard being the only teenager in Britain to understand the woes of exclusion.

ReputationRep:
    I'm different, as implore people to not go down the route of 9-5 job, to see more out there, more to see, more to do, how everyone could be so much more!
    Yeah, but that's not really being all that "different" - about the half the teenagers you know would agree with you if you told them that. Telling people you don't like the idea of spending your whole life on a 9 to 5 is hardly controversial, nor is telling people there's a lot of interesting stuff going on away from middle class British suburbia. This is all really standard teenage stuff. As for the whole Doctor Who thing, not really into it personally, but I could name numerous people who are.

We get threads like these a lot. This pretty much sums it up:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by College_Dropout)
    Watching pretty sunsets is meaningful? You are acting like everyone else are a bunch of retards, get your head out of your arse.
    Yes, doing that is meaningful. I'm not acting like everyone is a bunch of you know what, I'm just saying I'm so different because of the things I do, I'm not implying I'm better than anyone.
    (Original post by Chloe-ellis)
    This is extremely stereotypical and false. Everything you suggested you don't do and what you do, is everything I do (besides not drinking) Of course you're different to every teenager, just like everybody else. No two teenagers are the same. You shouldn't worry about it! I'm a massive fan of Doctor Who and I also watch Towie (cringe) what does this make me...
    It doesn't make you anything, I'm just saying, again, that I'm different to everyone because, in a way, I don't follow social norms.
    (Original post by Daniellejo.)
    Well done. You're obviously much more sophisticated and mature than the rest of us and it must be terribly hard being the only teenager in Britain to understand the woes of exclusion.
    I'm not an 'emo' , I'm just staying that I might stand out because I'm quite different, I mean, is there many 18 year olds, that instead of going out drinking, is reading Shakespeare? Not many I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redolent)
    Yeah, but that's not really being all that "different" - about the half the teenagers you know would agree with you if you told them that. Telling people you don't like the idea of spending your whole life on a 9 to 5 is hardly controversial, nor is telling people there's a lot of interesting stuff going on away from middle class British suburbia. This is all really standard teenage stuff. As for the whole Doctor Who thing, not really into it personally, but I could name numerous people who are.

We get threads like these a lot. This pretty much sums it up:

Okay, there might be a few people like me, but, are you sure that other people don't say it for attention to make them stand out? Because I'm geuinley like what I described in the OP.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, there might be a few people like me, but, are you sure that other people don't say it for attention to make them stand out? Because I'm geuinley like what I described in the OP.
    I bet you do, and by describing it in the OP you look like you're saying it for attention.

ReputationRep:
    You said you "read, study hard, have loads of good interests, am not anti social, be nice to people, don't drink, watch doctor who instead of the only way is essex, go for bike rides, watch pretty sunsets, do meaningful things"...

Sorry but hardly any of those are unusual. I'm not the most socially active person in the world but I know plenty of people who do all of those things. A couple of them are uncommon but not to the point where you are unique in them. Probably the most unique thing on the list is not drinking, and about half the people on this site are constantly going on about how they don't drink.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rob da Mop)
    I bet you do, and by describing it in the OP you look like you're saying it for attention.
    No, I just wondered if there was anyone else like that out there.
    (Original post by Redolent)
    You said you "read, study hard, have loads of good interests, am not anti social, be nice to people, don't drink, watch doctor who instead of the only way is essex, go for bike rides, watch pretty sunsets, do meaningful things"...

Sorry but hardly any of those are unusual. I'm not the most socially active person in the world but I know plenty of people who do all of those things. A couple of them are uncommon but not to the point where you are unique in them. Probably the most unique thing on the list is not drinking, and about half the people on this site are constantly going on about how they don't drink.
    Well, some, if not all people in my town, don't do the things that I do, which led me to believe it in the first place and I havent' seen much to contradict this, so....?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, doing that is meaningful. I'm not acting like everyone is a bunch of you know what, I'm just saying I'm so different because of the things I do, I'm not implying I'm better than anyone.

It doesn't make you anything, I'm just saying, again, that I'm different to everyone because, in a way, I don't follow social norms.

I'm not an 'emo' , I'm just staying that I might stand out because I'm quite different, I mean, is there many 18 year olds, that instead of going out drinking, is reading Shakespeare? Not many I think.
    I both go out drinking and read literature, I'm a massive Doctor Who fan and also love Geordie Shore, I like to lie in my back garden watching clouds and love going to house parties.
    I really don't think you're as 'individual' as you imagine; I know plenty of teens who enjoy what you've described.
    I'm also sure that at least 30-50% will say that they hate the idea of 9-5 living and want to go travelling and expand their mind etc. etc.
    Sorry if I've come across a bit harsh but that's just my experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daniellejo.)
    I both go out drinking and read literature, I'm a massive Doctor Who fan and also love Geordie Shore, I like to lie in my back garden watching clouds and love going to house parties.
    I really don't think you're as 'individual' as you imagine; I know plenty of teens who enjoy what you've described.
    I'm also sure that at least 30-50% will say that they hate the idea of 9-5 living and want to go travelling and expand their mind etc. etc.
    Sorry if I've come across a bit harsh but that's just my experience.
    Okay, there might be some people like me, but, in a ratio of interest to interest, I just feel I'd be a lot different to most other people, if that makes sense?

ReputationRep:

No, you're not the only one. I live on a different continent and the generic ideology of a "cool teenager" is one who drinks, wastes their parents' money, and gets laid countless times, mainly because of the Americanised culture here (not pointing fingers, but if you've experienced Indonesia, then its true). I was never much a party person too, so I can understand if you feel "odd".

ReputationRep:
    I'm not an 'emo' , I'm just staying that I might stand out because I'm quite different, I mean, is there many 18 year olds, that instead of going out drinking, is reading Shakespeare? Not many I think.[/QUOTE]

I'm 17 and I sit at home and read Shakespeare and would rather sit in a room and do my English work than anything else. I understand that you feel a bit different, but it comes off as you thinking you're overly different - boarder lining on special.
    There are many people like you, may not see them but they are there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.