Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm just wondering if it's too late to search for a work placement over the summer? I'm in my second year of university studying English Literature and my parents are hastling me to get a work placement or internship over summer. The thing is, I have no work experience and the field that I would be interested in doing work experience in (media) is very competitive. I don't think I would have anything worthwhile to put on my CV, I'm not even a particularly good student and that coupled with the lateness of applying for a short internship\[placement over summer, I don't really see the point. Is it worth looking into? Is it worth looking into maybe finding a placement/internship over christmas holidays a few months from now instead and just finding a regular job over summer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lmosco)
    I'm just wondering if it's too late to search for a work placement over the summer? I'm in my second year of university studying English Literature and my parents are hastling me to get a work placement or internship over summer. The thing is, I have no work experience and the field that I would be interested in doing work experience in (media) is very competitive. I don't think I would have anything worthwhile to put on my CV, I'm not even a particularly good student and that coupled with the lateness of applying for a short internship\[placement over summer, I don't really see the point. Is it worth looking into? Is it worth looking into maybe finding a placement/internship over christmas holidays a few months from now instead and just finding a regular job over summer?
    Apply, as soon as possible! You've said yourself the industry you want to get in to is competitive, so how do you think you're going to manage to get into it without any work experience? You're competing against thousands of graduates when you finish, so get the head start now and get some work experience! This happened to a friend of mine, he did nothing but his degree for the three years and still hasn't got a job a year after graduating.

There aren't really many internships or placements over christmas, as most companies don't see the point in doing it over the holiday period. The vast majority of internships are in the summer. Look at the media companies around your area and write to them to ask if you can shadow people, look for advertised internships etc.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.