The Student Room Group

Please help me decide where to firm.

French and Russian at:

Bristol (offer-BBB): Haven't visited here yet but I imagine it's as good as Manchester or better.

UCLAN (offer-320 points C in French): Went here last Saturday, it sort of gave the impression that it might not actually be that bad but at the same time it just looked awful and a bit like school:eek:. They are just starting Russian this year and she was nice but she didn't seem to be a proper teacher, she has been teaching Russian for ages but you don't just go to university to learn a language you want to learn about the culture and stuff. Also, as it's new it will only be available as minor language, there was no one else there who had applied for Russian (some people hadn't turned up unsurprisingly). One of the ambassadors at Manchester who was from Preston said that a lot of his friends went to UCLAN and they hate it at he knew someone that did Japanese but it was so awful they had to like take anything they could and did teaching instead. He said the year abroad was disorganised to. The redeeming features were the booths in languages lab bit for interpreting and the fact that in August this might be the only place that will take me.

Manchester(offer-ABB): I visited St Andrew's in October last year and so I was a bit disappointed with the lecture theatre (it was older and not as comfy :smile:) They seem to have good staff and I like that they come out and visit you on your year abroad:redface:

Glasgow(offer-ABB):I decided not to visit here on the applicant day because I was thinking I would definitely end up declining it but now I'm not sure anymore because I've heard a lot of good stuff about the uni and I like the idea of doing three subjects (I think I might do linguistics). The only things that have put me off are that the offer is kind of compared to Bristol at least, I missed the open day thingy, the languages dep. nearly closed down a couple of years ago but by all accounts its okay now and I'm not sure whether I do want to go that far from home after all.

Thanks for reading.:smile:
Reply 1
I've applied to UCLan for Business Management in China, although it doesn't look like a great place, I went to the Applicant day and it was the most organized and friendly event I have been to; organized by a university. Everyone who I have talked to from the Language school loved the University, saying it was surprisingly good and exceeded their expectations. My boyfriend has applied for Glasgow and is firming that choice as he likes the flexibility. When thinking about the universities, which one gets you most excited, and would you feel worse about rejecting?
Reply 2
Original post by CVictoria
I've applied to UCLan for Business Management in China, although it doesn't look like a great place, I went to the Applicant day and it was the most organized and friendly event I have been to; organized by a university. Everyone who I have talked to from the Language school loved the University, saying it was surprisingly good and exceeded their expectations. My boyfriend has applied for Glasgow and is firming that choice as he likes the flexibility. When thinking about the universities, which one gets you most excited, and would you feel worse about rejecting?

Thankyou. I do agree with you that the place doesn't look amazing and it was one of the friendliest open day things I've been to (sometimes it seemed like teachers were trying to hard though). That's a tough question, I guess I'm still waiting to here from Bristol about when I can visit though hmm.
Reply 3
It sounds to me as though you really don't want to go to UCLAN... if you don't have a good feeling about it, don't do it!
Reply 4
I agree with etwas, if you don't have a good feeling about a place, don't go. You've got to go for the best course, aswell as a place you feel excited about
Reply 5
Original post by etwas
It sounds to me as though you really don't want to go to UCLAN... if you don't have a good feeling about it, don't do it!

Original post by CVictoria
I agree with etwas, if you don't have a good feeling about a place, don't go. You've got to go for the best course, aswell as a place you feel excited about

Thanks I'm leaning towards Bristol but I'm almost certain I'm going to miss my offer (you don't want to know my coursework mark for Graphics:s-smilie:) so I'm thinking about picking somewhere that is more likely to take me when I fail:ashamed2: Glasgow maybe? Even though their offer is higher. I guess I should really reply soon before accommodation starts to fill up but I want to certain with my decision:unsure:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending