Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hi everyone,

I'm a first year undergraduate student, studying Computer Science. From the start of the course, everything was fine, I absolutely loved it and I couldn't get enough of it, admittedly I found it to be incredibly easy, particularly my programming modules. Then Xmas came and that's when I feel it all fell apart for me . I went from a student that was always buried in a textbook to a lazy slacker in such a short space of time.

I've lost literally every last enthusiasm for my course and I don't appear to be getting it back any time soon. Prior to this, I loved programming but now it just feels like a chore. I also don't enjoy the lectures anymore, and I'm doing everything in my power to pick myself up again but I'm not getting anywhere. Several of my tutors have picked up on my lack of enthusiasm and most just tell me I'm going through an adjustment phase (FE to HE). One tutor even told me to relax and take it easy as my first year performance doesn't even matter... Fortunately, despite all this my grades are intact and I'm still on top of my work, but I'm only doing it because it has to be done, not necessarily because I want do it anymore.

I'd love to be able to sit down with a friend and talk about this, but I can't. I'm a very quiet, shy person, so I still don't really know anyone and I'm only really close with 1 or 2 tutors.

I've spoke to my course mentor several times about dropping out and I feel I'd do better on a different course at different institution, as I feel a fresh start will be good for me, and I just feel I'm stupid for not doing something about it yet. But like everyone else, my mentor is advising I stay, with the old "you've got yourself into debt for this, finish it". I can't do another 2 years of this.

So, if you were me, what would do?

Edit: Additionally, what are my options if I choose to start again at a different institution (I intend to finish my first year here so I can say it wasn't all wasted, I'm just assuming I'll have to start again) - will student finance still cover me?

Do you think you'd enjoy a different subject more? You don't want to switch to a different course at a different uni, only to end up in the same situation.

Did you do programming before as a hobby? It's not surprising that your enthusiasm for it will wane when it becomes more than a hobby and you're doing it more, and to someone else's requirements.
How are you feeling about your exams?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.