Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm an international student coming from New Zealand and I need some serious help as I have to choose in the next day or so.

So I really want a university that will be beneficial for me later on in life with a good reputation, yet has a great student life and a place I will fill comfortable in to do my design work.

So here are the pros and cons

Falmouth university
    Pros
    Great student life
    Good campus
    Relaxing atmosphere to do work in
    Good reputation

cons
    far away
    when my family wants to visit or if I want to visit them in Germany it will be a hassle for travelling.
    Possibly a graphic design course is too limited

Goldsmiths
    Pros
    Better reputation?
    so creative and innovative
    In London
    Easy for my family to visit and for me to leave
    So much inspirations around

cons
    intimidating, fast paced atmosphere
    more expensive
    Design course to broad?
    Aless appealing looking university(still nice) but ofc because its in London

I am not sure whether to do the general design course at Goldsmiths or to do graphic design at Falmouth.

Does Goldsmiths really have a good reputation?
    Please advice ahh

ReputationRep:
    I'm assuming you're doing Graphic Design?
    Falmouth is one of my choices as well, but I'm applying for Interior Design. It's true that it has a good rep (and a really great PR guy who made the uni sound like a million bucks), and from what they told me their Graphic Design courses are real good with students winning loads of awards. The major thing that puts everyone off is the location - it's so far away from everything, urhghg! But it's a plus if you like beaches.

I'm taking a Foundation course right now, and my teacher went to Goldsmiths. She said she really liked the fast-paced lifestyle, so Goldsmiths was good for that. She did Fine Art, I think. A friend of mine applied to Goldsmiths for Fine Art as well, and it's her top choice. I feel that it all depends on whether you like a more relaxed environment, or a place that can push you because London is really, well.. competitive. All the museums and everything are pretty close by as well, and that's good because you won't have to travel so darn far to view major exhibitions (if you're into that).

Class size/feedback time is also important btw. Do you want a bigger class with less contact time, or a smaller class with more contact time? London universities usually have the bigger classes imo.

Even if I don't have much info about it, I hope this at least helps a little. Don't worry about the family bit too much, because you're gonna be spending 3-4 years in uni, and maybe they'll visit/you'll go back around 3-5 times a year? It's all up to you, try not to think about the fam too much, even if you miss them!

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Goldsmiths all the way! It's an absolutely great university, especially for art-based courses and as it's not situated directly in the center of London the 'fast-pace lifestyle' is easy to avoid when needs be. I'd highly recommend it.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    (Original post by Evermoon)
    I'm an international student coming from New Zealand and I need some serious help as I have to choose in the next day or so.

So I really want a university that will be beneficial for me later on in life with a good reputation, yet has a great student life and a place I will fill comfortable in to do my design work.

So here are the pros and cons

Falmouth university
    Pros
    Great student life
    Good campus
    Relaxing atmosphere to do work in
    Good reputation

cons
    far away
    when my family wants to visit or if I want to visit them in Germany it will be a hassle for travelling.
    Possibly a graphic design course is too limited

I am not sure whether to do the general design course at Goldsmiths or to do graphic design at Falmouth.

Please advice ahh
    Hi there-

sorry if this is too late to help you decide, we've only just got our official account set up on TSR. I'll try and answer some of your list:

Pros
    Great student life- absolutely- our campus (for Graphics) is 5 minutes from the beach in Falmouth, and lots of other beaches nearby. Being a small town/uni means we generate a lot of our own activitiy and there is always something happening. There seem to be more festivals and celebrations in Falmouth than any other town i've lived in! We have an Oyster festival, a beer festival, a food festival, a summer festival, a spring festival...you get the picture! All first year students have a guaranteed place in halls if they want it, but there is plenty of student accommodation in the town as well. We have a dedicated International Office who would be happy to talk to you too.
    Good campus- Our campus in Falmouth Town is beautiful (we even have cabbage trees for people from New Zealand!)
    Relaxing atmosphere to do work in- some people might prefer to live and work in a bigger institution/city, but the fact we are small means we are able to concentrate on working and playing hard. Having the beach and gardens next to the campus means you can always escape for a bit.
    Good reputation- we have a great repuation for Graphic Design, it's one of our most popular courses. We regularly have visiting lecturers from London and our students show work in London as well as at our Degree shows here in Falmouth. We have great industry links and graduates often end up in London after time here.

cons
    far away/when my family wants to visit or if I want to visit them in Germany it will be a hassle for travelling- we are far away from a lot of places, we can't deny that! However there is an airport at Newquay which flies to Dussledorf, which may help when you want to visit your family in Germany. There is a regular train to London and you will find that many students organise car shares for trips home/to London etc.

Possibly a graphic design course is too limited- have you taken a look at the Graphic Design website? http://www.graphicsfalmouth.com/ our students cover all kinds of techniques and approaches and end up with jobs in all kinds of industries.

For more advice chat to current student mentors via Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/groups/263344693748606/

Sorry if this all comes too late for you- we are now up and active here on TSR, i'll be online here every weekday and aim to answer all questions in 24 hours. (Although i'm on holiday for 2 weeks from Sat!)

Good luck with whatever choice you make

Camilla

Discussions on TSR

• Latest
  • Personalise
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.