Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Foreign student : finding a summer job when I arrive ? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    I'm a French student and I'll be settled in London aroung mid July. I've heard it's important to start looking for a summer job early, but I was wondering if it was worth it since I couldn't be there for any interview or training ? On the other hand, I'm not sure it is possible to find a job in July, is it ? Especially when your English is not perfect AND you're inexperienced.
    I'm kinda worried about it because I really need this money... Any information, tip or idea of job would be great !
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ciccone)
    Hey,
    I'm a French student and I'll be settled in London aroung mid July. I've heard it's important to start looking for a summer job early, but I was wondering if it was worth it since I couldn't be there for any interview or training ? On the other hand, I'm not sure it is possible to find a job in July, is it ? Especially when your English is not perfect AND you're inexperienced.
    I'm kinda worried about it because I really need this money... Any information, tip or idea of job would be great !
    Thanks
    While I don't live in London you should know that the job market around the UK is very competitive. Finding a summer job could be challenging. For uni students you should try literally everything. Maybe try a to get a job where communication isn't vital if your English isn't perfect. Although your written English is very good.

Care homes tend to take quite a few people whatever the time of year and it tends to be average minimum wage, so maybe that's something you could explore?

ReputationRep:
    I probably shouldn't do this though I am personally also looking for a summer job, but a friend of mine has recommended me gumtree.com as a best place for looking for a part-time.
    As much as I have heard (and these were just some whispers from people who decided to travel to the UK on their own) if you are bold enough and search profoundly especially in London you should be able to find some possition.
    However, I don't know anything about your skills, experience and references so this is so far everything what I can tell you.
    And as has been mentioned above the enviroment is really competitive even for UK citizens and as I can prove for non-UK it is even more demanding.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.