Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some advice on this course

I recently applied for a job as a teaching assistant that I saw advertised on jobswales.co.uk. I got a call back about a day later from a recruitment company called Vision recruitment asking me for a telephone interview. The interview went OK but I felt that a lack of knowledge and experience let me down, however at the end of they interview they offered me the option to complete the above course, which would be an 8 week online course, beginning in May, and that if completed they could help me find a teaching assistant job close to where I lived. This all seems fine except that the course would cost £320, which seems expensive since they offered it too me completely out of the blue. Of course I wasn't prepared to pay this straight way so I asked for a week to consider it.

I was just wondering if anyone has done this course or similar before and does it really improve your chances of finding work as a teaching assistant? Also has anyone dealt with Vision recruitment before? I'm unsure whether they will genuinely help me find work or whether they'll just take my money then tell me something like I still don't have enough experience.

Any advice would be great!!

Thanks
    Ollie

ReputationRep:
    I was volunteering in a school and was desperately trying to find a teaching assistant course to study. After months of researching and finally speaking to the head of the school I decided not to bother. I gave him a list of the courses I'd considered (including a NCFE one) and he said none of them would be much help really.

There is no set qualification to be a TA so theses courses vary wildly. They are also very expensive for what they offer. LEA's often set their own requirements for what level/qualification their TAs' should be at.

You should speak to other TAs and head teachers from different schools to see what their opinion is.

- hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lotteeeee.)
    I was volunteering in a school and was desperately trying to find a teaching assistant course to study. After months of researching and finally speaking to the head of the school I decided not to bother. I gave him a list of the courses I'd considered (including a NCFE one) and he said none of them would be much help really.

There is no set qualification to be a TA so theses courses vary wildly. They are also very expensive for what they offer. LEA's often set their own requirements for what level/qualification their TAs' should be at.

You should speak to other TAs and head teachers from different schools to see what their opinion is.

- hope this helps
    Thanks for that. That's what I thought really as £320 did seem very expensive for an eight week online course. I think I'll just stick to gaining voluntary work for now to gain experience that way.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olliewog)
    Thanks for that. That's what I thought really as £320 did seem very expensive for an eight week online course. I think I'll just stick to gaining voluntary work for now to gain experience that way.

Thanks
    Did the course state that a placement was needed? A lot of the courses I found didn't require a placement so it was all theory. How can you be trained in something without actually doing it? A lot of companies just rip people off.

Sticking to volunteering sounds good, I volunteered for a year and a half and I've now been offered a part time job there which is a start I'm also starting a foundation degree in teaching and learning in September which could be another option to consider.

ReputationRep:
    I replied to a job advert I saw through Vision Recruitment, and they called yesterday although I was unable to answer the call. After reading this I'm thinking they are just after the money for these courses and picking out people who are stuggling to get TA work...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dairynuts)
    I replied to a job advert I saw through Vision Recruitment, and they called yesterday although I was unable to answer the call. After reading this I'm thinking they are just after the money for these courses and picking out people who are stuggling to get TA work...
    Yes they are! I decided not to go with them in the end for the same reason, they basically just contact graduates who can't find work or people struggling to get into teaching and them try to get money out of you for this course. They're not even affiliated with a college or anything they just give you basic lessons over skype.

My advice would be to stay well clear of companies like Vision. Instead you should contact schools directly to try and get work experience or to get onto a course provided by an actual college rather then a recruitment agency.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olliewog)
    Yes they are! I decided not to go with them in the end for the same reason, they basically just contact graduates who can't find work or people struggling to get into teaching and them try to get money out of you for this course. They're not even affiliated with a college or anything they just give you basic lessons over skype.

My advice would be to stay well clear of companies like Vision. Instead you should contact schools directly to try and get work experience or to get onto a course provided by an actual college rather then a recruitment agency.
    Yes, well they kept calling me, I gave in and did the whole interview with them, it's clear that this is all sales driven. I won't be buying a course from them. What are the chances that I can get paid work as a teaching assistant without volunteering? I have 1 years worth of EFL teaching experience in schools abroad and was told before I came home i'd easily get a teaching assistant job in the U.K.... I've applied for a few posts now for grade 1 teaching assistant and state they'll have graduates who want experience before doing a PGCE. I'm wondering how many people my application will be put behind that have voluntary experience and whether this is now essential just to get a entry level paid teaching assistant job.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.