The Student Room Group

A question about some of the rules in medical school's

This poll is closed

Is it possible to skip year on medical school

Yes 33%
No67%
Total votes: 3
Hello there, i am interested about skipping years in medical school's.
For ex. if you're a talented person, you work hard, and for this reason you know everything about (for ex. the third year) 3rd year ,but you are on the second, so it is possible, to go on the fourth year after taking all of the 3rd year exams and mastering them in a short period of time ?
Reply 1
Original post by Noli1
Hello there, i am interested about skipping years in medical school's.
For ex. if you're a talented person, you work hard, and for this reason you know everything about (for ex. the third year) 3rd year ,but you are on the second, so it is possible, to go on the fourth year after taking all of the 3rd year exams and mastering them in a short period of time ?

Third year is a clinical year i.e. made up of medical and surgical placements so you can't have prior knowledge/experience of it.

The short answer to your question is no. Even graduates on accelerated four year degrees don't "skip" years - years one and two of a standard degree are instead compressed into one year. But the same content is still covered, even if you already did bits of it in your previous degree.

A medical degree is a professional qualification: you can't skip bits of it no matter how "talented" you may be.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=38485266

This question was answered in your previous thread? Nothing has changed regarding skipping years since your thread in 2012 :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Democracy
Third year is a clinical year i.e. made up of medical and surgical placements so you can't have prior knowledge/experience of it.

The short answer to your question is no. Even graduates on accelerated four year degrees don't "skip" years - years one and two of a standard degree are instead compressed into one year. But the same content is still covered, even if you already did bits of it in your previous degree.

A medical degree is a professional qualification: you can't skip bits of it no matter how "talented" you may be.

yep, i knew some about this,but, the clinical years are also made up with practice tests ,and if you are able to take all of them,then what happens ?
Reply 4
Original post by Lionheartat20
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=38485266

This question was answered in your previous thread? Nothing has changed regarding skipping years since your thread in 2012 :smile:

hehe, yeah, thats me, but in the first question i have given a relatively complicated text,but,just to say, my univeristy here doesnt have that Practice |clinical| that other universties do,its quite more theory , im not from germany, england, us, china..., im from a developing country, so the rules do change from yours,you know what i plan here, to SKIP those damn years here, get a scholarship(international) and start from the beginning again ,thats why i do like skipping them...
Generally, you cannot study at one medical school - and then study at another. I would have presumed this also counts internationally presuming the uni in your country is GMC recgonised.

If your university is not GMC recgonised, your degree may not hold much weight anyway when your application is considered internationally (if you were to apply to start from the beginnning again).

Can someone else clarify that? I'm not entirely confident on it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Lionheartat20
Generally, you cannot study at one medical school - and then study at another. I would have presumed this also counts internationally presuming the uni in your country is GMC recgonised.

If your university is not GMC recgonised, your degree may not hold much weight anyway when your application is considered internationally (if you were to apply to start from the beginnning again).

Can someone else clarify that? I'm not entirely confident on it.

how to check that the university if gmc recognized?, is there any webpage or what...
and i mean , to re-register (start over ) from the first year again...
Original post by Noli1
how to check that the university if gmc recognized?, is there any webpage or what...
and i mean , to re-register (start over ) from the first year again...

This describes what criteria a qualification must fill to be recognised by the GMC.

The Avicenna database is here.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending