Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My daughter has recieved an offer to study the level 3 B-tec plus the chance to do an extended diploma at the end, she has also received another offer to study 3 A-levels (1 being applied science) at a different college.

My question is which will be better on her Uni application, if she does well in the B-tec and receives consistently high marks will a university look on this as highly as having the 3 A-levels.

She tends to fair better in modular study rather than final exams (She's very nervous and this can knock her confidence) and we are worried that the decision we make may affect her future prospects to do a nursing degree.

Thanks for any advice in advance!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i've just completed the B-Tec Level 3 extended diploma in Health and Social care and achieved one below the highest grade possible.
    I took the B-Tec in the first place as i didnt cope well with exams at school. Like your daughter i always got very nervous so thought coursework would be a better option for me personally. I would say though be prepared as it is a lot of work and you really need to be committed to coming in and spending a lot of time in class, doing coursework and meeting deadlines. I found it pretty hard to catch up when i was ill for a few days.
    As it is though i recieved a lot of one-to-one help from my teachers and tutors as they have got the time to spend with you due to the fact there isn't this massive panic over exams.

If she has an idea of a University she wants to study at doing a nursing degree i would suggest looking at this website: http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/ Its really helpful as you can look up statistics of the specific course in a specific university. It also gives a percentage of what kinds of qualifications previous people have got onto the course with which gives you an idea of your chances of being accepted.

It is definitely possibe to be accepted onto a nursing degree course with the B-Tec level three diploma providing you get good grades. The people in my class have been accepted onto nursing and adult nursing degrees as well as midwifery and social work degrees.

Another positive aspect of doing a B-Tec in Health and Social care is the fact it is aimed specifically at going into the Health industry. This means that it covers a wide range of aspects such as Human Biology, sociological perspectives and psychological perspectives.

One of the main reasons though that i took the B-Tec is that it gives you the oppertunity to do work experience. I have had work experience in a special needs school, playgroup and care home but people in my class who were interested in nursing had the oppertunity to go to hospitals and other health settings. I have found that a lot of health related university courses ask for relevant work experience.

At the moment im currently in my first year of A levels and must say am finding it very difficult. This is probably because i'm just so used to doing coursework. I find that the whole purpose of the classes is based around the exams in June which is making me extremley nervous. With A levels you are expected to do a lot of private study unlike the B-Tec when most of your work is done in class.

Hope i've been helpful and good luck to your daughter on making her decision, if you wanted to ask any more questions then feel free

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the info, that'll be really helpful over the coming weeks when we make a firm decision.

Her coursework GCSE's tend to grade at a B whereas exam based ones seem to come in at C or even a D. I think the B-tec option is going to suit her study style best although I will definately have a look at the site you suggested so we can get an idea what she's up against.

It's so hard having to make a decision and I want her to be happy but still hold her own against other students possibly moving into the same type of degree.

I'm going to get her to read your post and maybe if she has any questions I can ask for her.

Thank you so much for your reply and good luck in your exams!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Emma77)
    My daughter has recieved an offer to study the level 3 B-tec plus the chance to do an extended diploma at the end, she has also received another offer to study 3 A-levels (1 being applied science) at a different college.

My question is which will be better on her Uni application, if she does well in the B-tec and receives consistently high marks will a university look on this as highly as having the 3 A-levels.

She tends to fair better in modular study rather than final exams (She's very nervous and this can knock her confidence) and we are worried that the decision we make may affect her future prospects to do a nursing degree.

Thanks for any advice in advance!
    Hi Emma77

BTECs are great qualifications and can really suit some young people, who really flourish in the teaching and assessment styles offered. Some of our courses here at Bath welcome students with these qualifications as they can offer different skill sets to those who have studied A Levels and the nature of the BTEC means that they have been able to really focus on their area of interest. However, there are a few things to consider.

Not all universities/degree programmes accept BTEC qualifications. I would recommend looking at various HEIs who offer Nursing as a degree, to see if they will accept BTECs and what grades they would be looking for. We don't offer Nursing at Bath so I can't advise on that but I know that our courses here do vary as to whether or not they will accept BTECs.

It is also worth considering what will happen if she changes her mind about Nursing - the BTEC may limit her options if she does change her mind completely, although of course, it would still open up routes to related careers.

Finally, whilst not having to do exams may really benefit her during her FE Course, she may then find it difficult to adjust to exams again at university. It would be worth doing some research to find out if nursing courses do involve having to take exams.

Hope that helps a bit. If I can provide any more help, just quote me and I'll come back to you.

ReputationRep:
    Btecs are good, you may get a lot of the stuff you need from classes. But a lot of the coursework. Is assignment and involve a far amount of personal study. I did a BTEC level 3 in public services. I had three days of college plus was expected to spend about 12 hours doing personal study. Such as working on first essay for one part of the overall assignment. I didn't plan on going to uni after the course. But I now do and am off to uni in September.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.