Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Post-2000s Draft; Round 1 - little_wizard123 vs Cll_ws Watch

• View Poll Results: Who do you think would win?
    little_wizard123's team
    55.56%
    Cll_ws's team
    44.44%

Hello, welcome to the Post-2000s Draft Game. This is the third Draft Game organized on TSR (to my knowledge, anyway) but for anyone who wasn't around last time or doesn't know how things work: basically, sixteen members have spent the last couple of weeks picking players to make a team (you can see how they did it in this thread), and they are now ready to go head-to-head against each other to win your vote - which do you think is the better team? The voter has both the squad-sheet and the tactics to consider!

The key rule for this edition of the game is that players have to have made their debuts in or after 2000, and they have to have spent most of their careers in one of the English Premier League, La Liga, Serie A or the Bundesliga (apart from one wild-card pick).

Additionally, voters are requested to please justify the votes you cast: an explanation of why you voted for the team you did would be much appreciated and would add to the game and the forum as a whole.

The poll closes in two days.

First Round Game

little_wizard123 vs Cll_ws

little_wizard123's team and tactics

Spoiler:
    Show
    Bios

ter Stegen - 2 Germany caps. Monchengladbach keeper who is very highly rated. The new Oliver Kahn – commanding and an excellent shot stopper.

Maicon – 66 Brazil caps. In 2010 was easily the best full-back in the world where he won Serie A and the Champions League with Inter Milan, and was in the FifPro , European and World Cup XI’s of the Year, as well as being named UEFA Club Defender of the Year. At his peak he controlled the right side of midfield. At his best in a 4-3-3. Possessed incredible physical ability, and a brilliant crosser of the ball with great shooting and dribbling ability.

Arbeloa – 47 games for Spain including three championship medals. Versatile, fantastic tackler and as reliable a full-back defensively as any.

Demichelis – 37 Argentina caps. Huge part of the Bayern team that won four Bundesliga titles. Capable of playing at CB and DCM, he is now an integral part of the Malaga team. Incredible strength and power.

Caceres – 45 Uruguay caps. Fantastic tackler, strong on the ground and in the air, and fast.

M’Vila – 22 caps for France. A good tackler and excellent passer of the ball, both short and long. Excellent work-rate.

Arteta – Passing, vision and movement are Arteta’s strengths. Very capable in a midfield three, often lying as the deepest. Offers threat from long distance.

Cazorla – 52 caps (8 goals) for Spain. Wonderful passer of the ball and in possession of the ball. The typical Spanish player – great ball control, skill and technique. Capable of scoring goals from midfield.

Tevez – 62 caps (13 goals) for Argentina. Plays like a Spanish player who can score goals. Possesses the technique and movement of a Spanish player but although very strong with a fantastic work rate.

Villa- 88 caps (53 goals) for Spain. A Spanish player who can actually score goals! One of the hardest players in recent history to play against. Incredible goalscorer, and like the rest of my team, has the touch and movement to match. Euro 2008 golden boot and World Cup 2010 Silver Shoe (joint on 5 but less assists). Team of the Tournament for 2008, 2009 (Confed Cup) and World Cup 2010. Penalty taker. World Class.

Lewandowski- 53 caps (17 goals) for Poland. Fast, excellent positioning, great in the air and a world class finisher. 51 goals in 92 games for Dortmund, and focal point of their side.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Tactics

My line up posted above needs to be taken with a pinch of salt. Given the movement of every single player in my front 6, only Lewandowski’s position will be semi-fixed. The positions I have the players in will be their ‘average positions’, but the short pass-and-move style of play does not work with players in fixed positions. My style will be similar to Spain, with slightly more emphasis on attacking play. In other words, possession of the ball is of paramount importance, but the ball will be played in quicker to Villa, Tevez and Lewandowski. The one argument against Spain’s way of playing is that they are predictable at times – my aim is to reduce this by introducing attacking players who are great in possession but also offer more as a goal threat.

My biggest threat is up front. In Tevez, Villa and Lewandowski I have three of the best attackers in the draft. Like my midfield, all three strikers are comfortable with the ball at their feet and are unlikely to give up possession cheaply. Tevez in particular will be given the freedom to roam, finding space on the right hand side. Similarly, Cazorla will roam centrally and out to the left. When in possession on the left, Tevez will move centrally. When Tevez is in possession on the right, Cazorla will move centrally to receive the ball. Arteta will offer support to Cazorla only – Maicon will offer support to Tevez in possession.

Ideally I want David Villa as close to the goal as possible. I will ensure he is close enough to Lewandowski to cause problems for the centre-backs, but giving him the slightly leftward position he is used to playing for Spain in order to get the ball onto his right foot more easily (although he is very two-footed).

Furthermore, any pressing of my midfield will leave space in behind for Villa, Lewandowski and Tevez to exploit. If Cll_ws does not press, I have 5 players who are good from distance – I will create too many chances to score if I am not pressed.

Arbeloa is a defensive full-back and therefore I will not ask him to attack. Given that he has played as a centre-back, he will find it easier to keep Robben out wide (his strength is cutting inside onto his left foot). Maicon is more attacking than any Spanish full-back in recent history and this will result in slightly more restraint in midfield. With Maicon attacking, Caceres will move across to the right (often plays at right back for Juventus). M’Vila will drop slightly deeper when Maicon is forward.

Although Arteta has played as the deepest midfielder for Arsenal, it is not his strongest position – he will get shown up against quicker, counter-attacking players. M’Vila is quicker than Arteta and will sit deeper than Arteta which will allow Arteta to support Cazorla. Arteta and M’Vila will sit slightly deeper than what I consider to be their ‘best’ positions – this is to ensure that my team is solid enough when not in possession. The movement in front of them is more than enough to make up for the two central players being slightly stifled when not in possession.

Cll_ws

Okay, so I am expecting him to line up with a 4-2-3-1 formation., with Rooney behind Pato and Fellaini the more advanced of the two central midfielders., Di Maria on the left and Robben on the right.

The obvious dangerman is Rooney. He is going to track back into midfield a lot – therefore my aim will be to control the midfield – playing 4 – 3 – 3 will support this. M’Vila, Cazorla and Arteta are all fantastic on the ball and in keeping possession; stronger than Fellaini and Melo, even with Rooney’s help. By playing three players centrally I also reduce the threat of Rooney. This will see my side have more of the ball. Di Maria and Robben are much better with the ball than without so any control of the midfield will considerably reduce their threat.

Given that Rooney will be deeper to counteract my greater number in central midfield, Demichelis will be left with Pato. He is strong and aggressive and will bully Pato. Caceres will cover the right side of defence in order to double up with Maicon on Di Maria.

Alternatively, Cll_ws could play Rooney up front with Aquilani instead of Pato. Here, my midfield would be even stronger in terms of numerical advantage given Rooney in midfield > Pato in midfield.

By controlling possession, I expose Cll_ws’ weaker side of the game – his weakness at defending on the flanks. Clichy and Walker are stronger going forward than defending. Caceres’ movement from RCB to RB when Maicon is forward will rely on Maicon’s energy and speed in getting back to keep 2 vs. 2 on the right – easily within his capabilities at his best. Cazorla and Arteta are in the best position to cover any overlapping runs from Walker – Cazorla ideally will cover this whilst Arteta will stay centrally.

Finally, moving on to Fellaini. I fail to see how he will have such an advanced role – any movement forward in-play will leave Melo incredibly isolated. Demichelis will mark him from set pieces given his strength and experience. Would expect a booking for Fellaini.

I also question Vermaelen and Naldo at the back – I expect a bit of a mismatch given how many chances my possession-style of football will create and how good my front four are with Cazorla in support. Vermaelen is fine in the air but I will be keeping the ball on the ground.

In conclusion, the aim is to control midfield by keeping possession and dragging Rooney back. Arbeloa will keep Robben on his right foot, with Caceres offering Maicon support against Di Maria and Tevez/Maicon and Arteta/Cazorla partnerships going forward on the right and left respectively if too crowded in the centre. Arteta and Cazorla partnership at Arsenal to benefit the team in keeping the ball. Pass and move, with two solid, strong centre backs and one beast of a right back. No pressing sees constant possession and lots of long rang efforts, too much pressing creates space in behind that the front three thrive upon.

Cll_ws's team and tactics

Tactics
    Spoiler:
    Show

The obvious strength that stands out with my team is the pace that it possesses. I have two lightning fast attacking wingers that will cause trouble for any full-backs, and my own full-backs are two of the fastest in the Premier League right now, making them both difficult to beat and lethal going forward. My full-backs will assist on the attack, although with the players that are in front of them they will not be encouraged to take any risks when it comes to putting their defensive duties on hold. When they do go forward though I have capable defensive cover in players like Felipe Melo, who can drop back whilst those around him bomb forward.

I have a very good keeper in Valdes, he's played at the highest level for one of the worlds best teams for 10 years now, and he will provide a solid and reliable last line of defense. And in front of him I have two very strong centre-backs who have both proved themselves to be amongst the best defenders in their respective leagues.

With Melo and Fellaini in midfield I have plenty of muscle, and two players that can hold on to the ball. Fellaini is very versatile, he's a ball winner and will be a huge presence in the middle of the field, as well as being a threat going forward. And Melo is an incredibly hard-working defensive-midfielder, he closes down players well and is a strong tackler. I think that these two are a great pairing. Their job, first and foremost, is to hold the midfield. But Fellaini will also pose an attacking threat and that will be something that my opponent's own midfield will have to deal with.

I've already mentioned the pace that I have in attack. I believe that my front four will pose a threat to almost any defense. They have all the traits that make them a nightmare for defenders, they're fast, skillful, and most importantly there's plenty of goals in them. I have decided to play Rooney behind the main striker, a position that he has performed in for both club and country. He will be pulling the strings. And with his vision and creativity i'm sure that my attackers will never be short on chances.

ReputationRep:
    His starting XI doesn't appear to be showing!

I honestly wanted to write more for my tactics :lol:

After reading his tactics, there's nothing there I didn't expect.

Good luck Cll.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by little_wizard123)
    His starting XI doesn't appear to be showing!

I honestly wanted to write more for my tactics :lol:

After reading his tactics, there's nothing there I didn't expect.

Good luck Cll.
    ****ing hell I thought I was committed with mine, with the bios it's almost 1500 words :lol:

Had the same thing with his team, it's showing now though. Funny how another game has matched up so closely. Neither defence will be particularly good at defending, both midfields functional if a bit limited, and then 2 sensational attacks. Biggest difference is probably the keeper but then that's inexperience vs erratic, not even a major difference in their overall levels.

Don't think your side will keep possession as well as you think, Tevez/Villa/Lewandowski are good on the ball but they're not really players who retain possession, they're more direct. You've 'only' got 3 midfielders on compared to Spain's 5/6. Fellaini/Melo/Rooney is a pretty destructive trio too. But he won't dominate possession either, it'll probably end up being a basketball style match with neither defence capable of containing the opposition attack.

ReputationRep:
    little_wizard's team seems most likely to get a vote from me at the moment, but Cll_ws' team could be pretty devastating on the counter-attack. That three of Di Maria - Rooney - Robben is very nice. I do however prefer LW's defence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louis.)
    ****ing hell I thought I was committed with mine, with the bios it's almost 1500 words :lol:

Had the same thing with his team, it's showing now though. Funny how another game has matched up so closely. Neither defence will be particularly good at defending, both midfields functional if a bit limited, and then 2 sensational attacks. Biggest difference is probably the keeper but then that's inexperience vs erratic, not even a major difference in their overall levels.

Don't think your side will keep possession as well as you think, Tevez/Villa/Lewandowski are good on the ball but they're not really players who retain possession, they're more direct. You've 'only' got 3 midfielders on compared to Spain's 5/6. Fellaini/Melo/Rooney is a pretty destructive trio too. But he won't dominate possession either, it'll probably end up being a basketball style match with neither defence capable of containing the opposition attack.
    Tactically, I will get the forwards to play more with the aim of keeping the ball more than say Tevez is used to. I suppose I could have likened my play towards the Arsenal-style a little (strangely enough I have Cazorla and Arteta) as they have fairly direct wingers and striker. However, I prefer the fluidity that Spain play with in terms of how players drift and drop deeper and generally just rely on passing the ball and moving quickly. It might be a little ambitious to combine this with forwards that are direct. This is why Tevez is the main 'driftee' as I am happy to have him deeper and wider than Villa or Lew (see the tactic bit with when the ball is wider - I don't want Villa too involved in deeper left positions, if at all). Of course, Villa fits in to your typical Spanish team quite well.

Edit: The reason for playing with the aim of keeping possession is that I feel I will get a lot of it anyway - he's lined up how I expected so going 3 in the middle has the aim of dominating in the middle. Rooney will need to help out a lot to even compete there in my opinion. Lots of possession just opens things up for Cazorla who is strong going forward than defensively, and tracking him and Tevez will be difficult. I think I mentioned that I'm not keen on Fellaini in a midfield two either - he's a very good player but every time I see him playing deeper I almost expect him to get booked with every challenge he makes.

Another reason is that my team is stronger attacking-wise, so although none of Cazorla, Tevez, Villa and Lewanowski will give possession away cheaply that often, I'd still rather they kept the ball. I have faith in this front four given how good they all are both individually and in terms of work-rate and team play.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Is my team showing up okay for everyone? I heard it wasn't earlier? It seems to be okay now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cll_ws)
    Is my team showing up okay for everyone? I heard it wasn't earlier? It seems to be okay now.
    It was working a few hours ago (first time I looked since messaging Abira saying it wasn't there).

ReputationRep:
    It was working a few hours ago (first time I looked since messaging Abira saying it wasn't there).
    Okay, that's good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louis.)
    1500 words with bios and tactics - **** my bios with three people left is already 1500 words

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TH3-FL45H)
    1500 words with bios and tactics - **** my bios with three people left is already 1500 words
    Although getting off-topic, I don't think bios are that important. i just outlined their key attributes and left the rest to tactics as most of us know the players but obviously don't know what tactics we'll be using!

ReputationRep:
    Although getting off-topic, I don't think bios are that important. i just outlined their key attributes and left the rest to tactics as most of us know the players but obviously don't know what tactics we'll be using!
    I know - I get a bit carried away when I'm working...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TH3-FL45H)
    I know - I get a bit carried away when I'm working...
    What's your opinion on this game?

ReputationRep:
    What's your opinion on this game?
    I think that your defence edges his but you both pose great attacking threats however I think your defence would be more capable of dealing with his attack than his. So I think you just about win a close, quite high-scoring game

ReputationRep:
    I actually like my defence. A lot of experience there too.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'm going to go with little_wizard here because I think that attack is a little more clinical and while Cll's wingers are top draw so are little_wizard's full-backs. I can just see Lewandowski, Villa, Tevez and Cazorla wreaking havoc

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't really say that his defense is stronger than mine, except for at right-back. And experience doesn't mean very much at all in a draft where players are being judged at their peak, as oppose to their entire career. But still, mine isn't particularly inexperienced anyway.

Vermaelen and Naldo are both strong, and both very experienced. In them I have strength, speed, height (Naldo is 6ft 6, and great in the air), and in Vermaelen a real leader. I'm not sure how many people have watched Naldo, but this guy is a great defender. He was out for over a year not too long ago with a bad injury, but before that him and Mertesacker at Werder formed one of the best defensive partnerships in the Bundesliga for quite a few years, and Naldo was considered one of the best defenders in the league.

Clichy is obviously a great full-back, one of the best in the Premier League. He's been playing at the highest level for almost all of the 2000's, and was part of the Arsenal "invincibles" team.

I don't doubt that his defense is strong, but it's not impenetrable. Caceres, through combinations of injury and poor form has barely played an entire season for any club that he's been at, and I don't think that the combination of him and Demichelis will worry the likes of Rooney too much. And Arbeloa is a good full-back, but he's up against one of the best wingers in the world in Robben, and we've seen him struggle more times than once when he's come up against real quality wingers.

His keeper is also relatively inexperienced, which when you consider the strength that I have in attack could prove costly. Valdes has his critics, but he's been facing up against players of the highest quality for 10 years now.

ReputationRep:
    I actually still can't decide, may have to abstain from voting here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)
    I actually still can't decide, may have to abstain from voting here.
    Judging from the comments above I feel that I could use your vote more

ReputationRep:
    Only 9 votes. That's pretty bad :erm: We need to do something to get people voting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cll_ws)
    Only 9 votes. That's pretty bad :erm: We need to do something to get people voting
    We'll do stuff on the next round otherwise it would be unfair

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 22, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.